Finally going public...

Cerulean

The abstraction and striking colors are beautiful

Great work and I look forward to seeing more.

Regards,

Cerulean

WolfSpirit

What a great fool !
The card is saying so much, with just a few images ! And really love the colour too, orange is so good for the fool's energy.

Simone

Thanks again to all for your positive words... warms my heart on a cold day :D

WolfSpirit said:
And really love the colour too, orange is so good for the fool's energy.

This is what I mean when I say I am going to hit problems with the digitalisation of my cards: the colour you call orange, WolfSpirit, is supposed to be gold...

taking pictures or scanning always gives the same result - it takes away the metallic quality of the colour. Silver looks like white or slightly blueish, gold like beige or orange depending on the paint (dark beige for metallic markers, orange for the gold gouache). Even the black is not evenly black, depending on where the light source comes from, it always is black on the opposite side but like a deep blue on the side the light comes from.

If I use a flash, I have reflections that put accents on the cards where there are supposed to be none. Scanners bring along another problem: my originals are slightly longer than the standard A4 format (width is ok) so it is impossible to scan it all in in one go. To work on smaller originals would be a solution, but then it gets tricky for the Mandalas (no matter how fine your paintbrush is, if the corner you are trying to fill with paint without blotching is still smaller... you can imagine).

If I scan it in 2 parts, it never fits together, and where the sheet goes over the borders of the scanner, there is that blue tinge again in the black...

A3 scanners are extremely expensive, and most shops here that offer scanning services, only have the standard A4.

I suppose I will have to hire the help of a professional photographer in the end.

I realise I have forgotten to answer your question, Tom:

I have not decided yet if I am going to look for a publisher or if I am going to do them myself. I suppose this printing business will be quite costly (silver and gold!), but it will be as difficult to get a good quality printing myself, as I already have the problems with the quality of the colours on the computer.

On the other threads, I have looked at the possibilites of printing and laminating (and in a computer shop, someone suggested I use a wax printer), but I already now, without trying, get a feeling that the laminating process will make the black cloudy and I have my doubts about the wax, too. If I could try it before buying a wax printer and a laminator, it would be helpful!

Love
Simone

lionette

Lovely, Simone !! I very much like your work. The circular, mandala imagery draws us into the card.

Just a thought about the scanning/reproduction problem ::
Maybe lighting is the issue. If you use a glare-resistant high wattage bulb (such as a photography studio uses -- maybe these can be rented for a small fee) then ideally you could eliminate the flash and the resulting glare from flash. This might be as simple as purchasing a type of floodlight (there are so many different types of bulbs available now) from a hardware store and suspending it from the ceiling or something. Might require a little ingenuity, but I think you're awfully creative :D and can easily get past that! Wish I were nearer to offer help in person!

ps. 2 more thoughts: If you decide to use a publisher, all those pesky printing and reproduction problems will be solved by them. At least here in US, the quick-print places offer various printing possibilities that were formerly unavailable to the average person.

rabble

I really love these, Simone! They're so simple, they're stunning!!

I'll enjoy watching this deck develop :)

blue_fusion

wow. I'm really glad you're starting your very own tarot deck :D and its a cool concept too. nice sample cards you gave. :)

baba-prague

Congratulations! The samples look good, and we can imagine the metallic inks I think (know what you mean about the problems of photographing or scanning them). Look forward to seeing more of the work.

Chronata

Oh Simone... I am so happy you decided to show these off to everyone!

I really adore your mandalas...and the Fool is completely delightful!

I just thought of a possible solution to your printing problem...

I have a small silk screen machine made by a Japenese company called Riso...they call it a Gocco Printer. Basically, you make a drawing...or a toner copy of the drawing, and you can make your own screen with it, using some sort of flash bulb technology...anyway, once you have the screen, it is possible to use metallic inks with it and print on dark card stock.

I think your designs might be perfect for this aplication! I don't know exactly where to buy one...but I see them on E-bay all the time!

I'll try to find you a good link for it, if you like.

But keep those cards comming! I really look forward to seeing more! (oh, and I love your 10 of cups too!)

mercenary30

I am very much into classic style and artful decks, so the more simplistic decks do not really appeal to me.

Until I saw this one. I am very much looking forward to seeing more cards!!

Great Job Simone!!!

Simone

mercenary30 said:
I am very much into classic style and artful decks, so the more simplistic decks do not really appeal to me.

Until I saw this one. I am very much looking forward to seeing more cards!!

Great Job Simone!!!

Thanks Merc, and to all again! The more I see your positive responses, the more confident I get! (talk about fishing for compliments ;))

I got one done with a little more symbols in it: the Wheel of Fortune.

Short description:

The central point is a ship's steering wheel with 12 spokes; I chose this because I believe that out fate is in our hands and the handles on the wheel will allow us to change our direction at all times.

In the spokes, we find the 12 astrological symbols, showing the circle of life and that we go through all phases (which, though not being equal, are all equivalent in their learning values). We have to experience all aspects of the zodiacal circle at times in our life, it allows us to grow wise and understanding. After I had painted in the symbols I realised that they are the wrong way around, I am not sure, but I think normally they are counter-clockwise. I might have to redo the card at one point, but not right now :D

Above the wheel, there is a sphinx. (I looked up pictures and found out that a sphinx is a creature with an animal body and a human head; in Greek mythology it even sports wings). Hence the figure, the only way I could get a decent outline of a sphinx that did not look like a dog with an oversized head (tried to do the silhouette of the Egyptian sphinx but could not get anything intelligible with it). The sphinx is the keeper of wisdom, she can ask the questions and pose the riddles, she is the only one who knows the answer. So she is on top of the wheel to symbolise that if you are prepared to commit to every experience life brings you, you'll end up wise and knowledgeable like her.

The sphinx is also a deadly creature - if you do not cope with the experiences that should bring you wisdom, it brings you a kind of death first.

Which leads to the second symbol: beneath the Wheel, you'll find the Phoenix, the one who has to die before rising out of the ashes again. So however down you come, whatever death you suffer, you always have the choice to rise up again…

Hope you'll like it!

Attachments

• X The Wheel of Fortune.JPG
    X The Wheel of Fortune.JPG
    11 KB · Views: 188