Flornoy TdM's

thinbuddha

Does anyone have either of the Tarot de Marseilles Majors only decks by Jean Claude Flornoy?

I was considering getting one or both of them, and wanted to know some more about them.

Card stock? Size? Backs? Makers card? Packaging? Other accompanying materials (LWB?)? Worth the rather steep price?

Also- I see what looks to be a 52 card deck of playing cards on his site store, but it is in the section for books and there is no further info.... If anyone has these or knows more about them, I'd be interested in hearing about this as well.

thinbuddha

I probably should have posted this in the Marseilles/Early Decks forum where it might get more attention. If a Mod would be kind enough to move this thread there, I'd be grateful. I have searched the forums, and although there is numerous references to these decks, I haven't seen some of my questions addessed.

-tb

jmd

The card stock is high quality card-board, the printing coloured by stencilled method.

They are also each reproductions per the size of the originals that Jean-Claude Flornoy found in the BN (French National Library).

I would very highly recommend them. If it was not that they are each Atouts only, I would give both his Dodal and Noblet a 5 star nn rating.

The other deck (that I do not have - and that I did not know had become available) is a reproduction of a deck that was published in the 1800s (if I recall) in the mediaeval town in which the Flornoys live, and is not tarot.

le pendu

Hi thinbuddha,

I have the Flornoy Dodal and Noblet.

I have to say.. out of ALL of my TdM decks.. these are my favorites. The only downside is that they are Trumps only.

The cards are printed on fine quality card stock and then HAND STENCILED. That's right.. the colors are applied one at a time just like the cardmakers hundreds of years ago did. No one else that I know of still creates decks this way. Flornoy uses gauche pigments for the colors.. and there is something unbelievably vibrant about the cards because of this. The colors "vibrate", I can't think of any other way to put it. Out of every deck I own, these decks seem to me to be the most "authentic" decks... giving me the sense of what a fresh pack of cards might have looked like in the 1600 or 1700's.

I ordered the two decks based on a strong recommendation of "jmd", and once I had them, I contacted Jean-Claude to order the "uncut sheets" as well (which may not be available anymore). I framed the uncut sheets and get to look at the artwork above my desk everyday.

On the Dodal deck, I even get the scent of French soap, which (I think) was used as part of the "sealing" process.

I simply can not recommend these decks highly enough. We are SO lucky to have these samples of incredible craftsmanship. I strongly encourage anyone with a love of the old decks to get these, they are well worth the investment and something that I think you will always treasure.

--

added:
Comparison of the original and "restored" Noblet:
http://www.tarot-history.com/Jean-Noblet/jean-noblet-page-3.html

Comparison of the original and "restored" Dodal:
http://www.tarot-history.com/Jean-Dodal/jean-dodal-page-2.html

thinbuddha

Thank you both for the information. I wonder if those playing cards are "restored and printed in a similar quality.

le pendu said:
The cards are printed on fine quality card stock and then HAND STENCILED.

I was wondering about that. I had assumed from his site that this was the case, though I don't think it explicitly states this anywhere. Then I read something he or his wife wrote in a thread here that mentioned that he had someone else do his printing which made me wonder what it was he did (I assume he prepares the stencils, but with the little info I had, I could interpret it as him restoring something on computer and then sending to a offset printer.... Not something I would be prepared to spend so much money on). These decks sound really interesting.... Does anyone know if these were prepared with wood blocks as well? Seems unlikely, but at the same time, Flornoy seems quite the traditionalist....

I also read in a thread here that he was working on finishing up the Dodal Minors.... or was it the Noblet? Anyway the post was a couple years old, and there is no mention of this on his site. it also wasn't clear if this would be made as a stenciled set or mass market.... From the site, it seems more likely that he will finish a Vieville Majors only deck as his next project (a couple cards are already posted there).

I suspect over the next few months that I'll be sending him a small fortune.

Le Marseillais

Flornoy Coming Production

Hello ThinBuddha and others,
I have also Noblet and Dodal Majors reproduced by JC Flornoy.
I met them (Jean Claude and his wife Roxanne) in their home/workshop and saw their way of working with hand stencils.
For exemple on my owned Noblet Flornoy cards I have found a bristel of a brush used for applying colours. And it WAS NOT a Pixel, be sure.
Flornoys have planned to produce a finished up version of Noblet deck minors. In mass market quality unfortunatly and not hand stenciled because of high cost of production.
I saw on their computer some of this minors during summer 2006 in Marseilles and it is very very impressive.
As some famous inventor burned his own piece of furniture to keep on heating his oven for discovering the secret of ceramic, they have to sold their house as to get enough money for producing this restored version of Noblet Deck.
So, we have 3 options:
To wait until it happens
To lauch a public subscription
To... buy their house

Personnaly, I am ready for the 2 first options.

Amicalement
Yves Le Marseillais

PS: Salut Roxanne et Jean Claude !

tmgrl2

Welcome, Le Marseillais!!! Good to have you here...

I have both the Dodal and Noblet...bit thick for me for regular reading, but I do love looking at them, using them for study....I may use them for readings, but not by shuffling....

Right now I have them in a photo album, four to a page, also have my Camoin and Hadar and a few other TdM decks on albums...enables me to study them with easy flips of the page...and protects them as well.

Lovely!!

terri

thinbuddha

I'm glad to hear of the Noblet mass market edition is moving forward, I wasn't sure if that project had been dropped or not. Perhaps it could eventually lead to a hand stenciled edition... I could probably be talked into paying the very high price that such a deck would command, but perhaps the demand wouldn't be high enough to warrant production.

It's sad that very few things are made with such attention to detail these days, and that one has to pay such a high premium to get these hand made items. Sadder still is the fact that those who make things by hand as a labor of love so often cannot support themselves with their craft. Not that I have an answer to this- just a commentary on the times we live in. I think I'll go buy a Big Mac and ponder the problem.

Well, I think you have all talked me into buying a Flornoy... as to which one, I will have to ponder this a while. If the Vieville were available, I'd jump on it for sure. I will probably end up with both.

Does anyone have the leather cases? Should I consider this to be a part of the deck?

le pendu

It is really a shame to see artists struggling to get their work out. I do believe that this is going to be the continuing wave of the future.. you will have to pay more and more for anything "hand" made or customized. How many people do you know that actually have their clothing made by a tailor? Once upon a time, a visit to the tailor for measuring and making a suit was fairly common, now I hardly know anyone who wears handmade clothes.

I love both decks, but if you really don't have a preference, I'd suggest the Noblet.. just because it's my personal favorite.

I'd love to get the leather case.. but I never have. The decks come in a handmade cardbord box, so they do have some protection.

le pendu

It's my impression that the "work" has been done on the Noblet 78, but that the need now is to find a publisher willing to take on the project, or find a way to self publish it.

I'd pay a really large fee for the handmade version of it as well, but will be delighted when(if!) the mass market version is out.