Gone back to Rider waite?

Alison

I recently bought this deck. I like it and wondered if anyone ever went back to using it after decks that others would call more complex in artwork and what value people have experienced with it as a serious reading deck? I didn't get it at first as I thought it looked a bit juvenile, but in my hands, the pictures look quite antique looking and are quite soothing. It is very different from my Russian Tarot of St Petersburg.

Thanks
Alison

coyoteblack

The RWS is kind of funny when I first saw it I got board of the loud colors and I did not like the art work to much. Then after I started reading spiritual tarot and other books that talked about the deep symbolic in this deck I use it more now.

It is still not a preferred reading deck but it is fun to study.

Briar Rose

I go back to it from time to time. I have the RWS deck. I like the colors of the radiant though. I wouldn't mind getting that one.

edited to add;

It's fun to take this deck and go to the Thread that is dedicated to the RWS deck, and read all the posts while finding the cards everyone is referring to in the deck.

tarotlyn

Ha! The Radiant will wake you up! - But don't think the coloring is too bright.

The RWS decks give you a real grounding for the symbology of Tarot...
Once you learn the RWS way...you can read with just about ANY deck! :)
Except, when a deck is missing the RWS symbols, it then bothers you some!

Lyn

The crowned one

I have yet to find a better deck within its style/type.

tarotlyn

The crowned one: exactly how many RWS decks do you have?

Emily

I seem to have gone full circle - I started to learn on the so-called 'Original' RWS but it took me a long time to appreciate the colours and the artwork of this deck and eventually I moved onto a deck called the Spiral, since then there have been a multitude of decks but when I get stuck it always seems to be the RWS version of the card that sticks in the mind.

Later on I bought a more normal coloured RWS in Spanish. I have the pocket RWS which is a favourite, the mini RWS, the Giant RWS, also the Radiant and the Universal Waite. My newest deck is the pocket Universal Waite.

Its took me a long time to realise that although I can read RWS clone decks, its the RWS that I read with better. The images are so familiar, the symbolism is there and very strong.

I think that the RWS is what an old tarot deck is supposed to look like, its not pretty or colourful, it doesn't have a theme - it just is.

I'm sticking with the Universal Waite for a while now, I'm fed up of trying to use decks that have symbolism so vague that it's hard to see any thing in the cards at all. I know the artwork of the original RWS's aren't to everyone's taste but the recoloured versions are more refined, and easier on the eye.

wytchwood

I always wished I could like the RWS, but found a happy alternative in the International Icon. All the joy of the RWS, but I genuinely like the deck. I have developed more appreciation for the RWS and still wonder if I would get on better with the Original as it's mainly the colouring I don't like. I've tried the Universal (too wishy washy) and the Radiant (too gaudy) and the standard (horrid) but the Original looks quite nice.

In a way I feel like I have gone with the RWS as the IIT is a close clone.

Zoe

Emily

Hi wytchwood,

I liked the International Icon when I first took delivery of it, I loved the colours and used it for a month or so before I realised that I really missed facial expressions - then I found myself wanting to see eyes and features and then I knew this deck wasn't for me. I think this is why I like the re-coloured RWS's better than the standard and original - the re-coloured ones are easier on the eye.

The Original RWS is a deck on its own LOL - the colours muddy and very dark, but it has its own kind of charm - the scans don't really show this deck in a true light - alot of the artwork is similar to pixelated cartoon artwork - the Star is one, she's made up of lots of little pink dots - it takes some getting used to.

I'm going to be running off to get my deck off the shelf in a minute LOL - I've just managed to enable myself to use this deck again. :)

wytchwood

Hi Emily,

It's interesting to hear your thoughts on the Original RWS, I actually think it sounds a lot like this Dutch edition I have. It has the brownish muted colours like the Original, but has Dutch extra titles at the top and has the Emperor card image in purple as a back design. Some of the images seem made up from measly dots. I quite like it in a way. The Traditional Tarot is a deck I have seen on computer programs and things on the net, but I really lie it, it's a really nice re-do of the RWS and I wish I could get one like it. there is this thing called Tarot Sutra, a 'saucy' tarot deck which is this great re-do of the RWS with horrible rude images for backs. Why can't you get a nice one? grr

Zoe