Gonna learn Thoth if it kills me - Majors

SweetIsTheTruth

Scion said:
The trouble is the book seems friendly and accessible, which makes it like an airconditioned tiger trap for your Thoth studies.

I got rid of this book almost as soon as I got it. I KNEW from what little I had read, it didn't have a damn thing to do with the reality of the Thoth deck.

Freddie

Alan Ross said:
That's exactly how I feel. I'm quite happy reading with my Hanson-Roberts and Robin Wood decks. But the Thoth is the 800 pound gorilla I just can't ignore. Struggling with it is enriching my understanding of the entire modern esoteric tarot tradition.

Alan

This is a great year old thread. I agree with you Alan.

I must say I spent a mere £1.25 on a used book that was dissed here called 'Tarot: Mirror to Your Soul' by Gerd Ziegler'. The reward I have reaped from the small price payed has been great. I am studying this book , Snuffins Thoth Companion and 'Book of Thoth' and I find Tarot Mirrors to be a refreshing take on this deck and tarot in general. I am tired and bored with modern 'teenage girl' Tarot books by Rachel Pollack etc..................I do like Mary Greer though, because she like Ziegler sees through the mystical mumbo jumbo and gets right down to the spiritual living aspect of each card. I don't care about Themela as it has as many holes in it as Christianity does (after all he gave it up in the end for a better touchy feely Asian faith), New Aeon my ass...the New Aeon is greed and money..look at that Ace of Disks...revelations from the beast..indeed their psychic higher self was working when he and Frieda did this card.

Tragic man, but beautiful deck..

Freddie

thorhammer

Yeah, thanks. That hurts.

\m/ Kat

Aeon418

Freddie said:
I am tired and bored with modern 'teenage girl' Tarot books by Rachel Pollack etc.
And so you turned to Gerd Ziegler? I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or a sign of comic genius.

Tell us another one?
Freddie said:
Ziegler sees through the mystical mumbo jumbo and gets right down to the spiritual living aspect of each card.
Oh pure hilarity! Bravo! I am simply bereft of ribs. :laugh:
Freddie said:
I don't care about Themela as it has more holes in it than Christianity
We're all ears. :)
Freddie said:
(after all he gave it up in the end for a better touchy feely Asian faith)
Speaking of holes, you're digging a nice one for yourself right here. ;)
Freddie said:
New Aeon my ass...the New Aeon is greed and money..look at that Ace of Disks...revelations from the beast..
Did you get that from Ziegler? :laugh:

gregory

Oh god. Ziegler.... I paid 50p. It was a waste of cash. I'd have done better with a candy bar....

*tiptoes out again*

nicky

If one cannot read the Book of Thoth for whatever reason, then the only responsible alternative would be DuQuette.

Ziegler is like the Silver Ravenswolf version of the Thoth deck..

Aeon418

Ziegler's description of the 9 of Disks is my personal favourite. Until I read, Mirror of the Soul, I had no idea that the faces on the disks were actualy Crowley, Harris, and ........ Israel Regardie?????!!! WTF! :laugh:

Freddie

Indeed this was a stupid post by myself, but I was only trying to say that this deck could be used without practicing any certain religious rituals (including Christianity which like Themela cannot be proved beyond a shadow of a doubt). Sorry for such a rude post and yes I do read Rachel Pollack ( I was being a smartass sorry), I bought 'Tarot Wisdom' the other day. Sorry for the teenage girl jibe, but really the Tarot machine is not geared towards men so in that respect I guess it is just sour grapes for me.

I think from a counselling perspective that 'Mirrors' is a good psychological take on the Thoth Tarot. It was not written to inform the reader about Magick and deep occult symbolism, it is a general instruction book for self understanding. I agree the information about Crowley and Magick in the book are flawed, but not all Tarot readers are interested in that stuff. I'm interested in it, even if it is something I choose not to accept as fact.

The part about the 'Ace of Disks' I stand by. I believe this is a revelation that made it's way into the deck. It reminds me of how someone can look at something she/he wrote many years ago and it sometimes reveals information she/he had no knowledge of revealing. I didn't get anything from Ziegler, I reasearched Mr Crowley and the end of his life (which is about 30 miles from my home) myself.

Sorry Aeon I didn't mean to upset you. I enjoy reading your posts, because I was always learn something from them.

Freddie

Aeon418

Freddie said:
I was only trying to say that this deck could be used without practicing any certain religious rituals
I didn't know any rituals were required to read the Thoth!

A bit of knowledge about the philosophy behind a particular deck is always an advantage. But that doesn't mean you have to become a "card carrying member" or adopt a new creed to read with it. I'm sure many people who read with the Thoth, and have looked at the orginal source material, have only done so to increase their understanding and appreciation of the deck. If they wish to take it further than that it's a different matter altogether.

Of course you can ignore all the "mystical mumbo jumbo" that makes the Thoth a stand out deck, and read it just like any other deck. In that case the Gerd Ziegler's of this world will be more than happy to accomodate you. Just don't be surprised when the "Mirror of the Soul" turns out to be as deep your average puddle.
Freddie said:
The part about the 'Ace of Disks' I stand by. I believe this is a revelation that made it's way into the deck. I didn't get anything from Ziegler, I reasearched Mr Crowley and the end of his life (which is about 30 miles from my home) myself.
I'm not entirely sure what you are getting at here, but I believe you are confusing Crowley with Thelema.
Freddie said:
Sorry Aeon I didn't mean to upset you.
Not at all! I found your initial post highly entertaining. :D

Grigori

Moderator Note

We seem to have strayed a long way away from the topic of this thread, perhaps we could slide a back to discussing the Majors eh folks.

Thanks!