Gonna learn Thoth if it kills me - Majors

Freddie

Sorry I think I read some misinformation on the net.

About those eggs in the Major Arcana? Are these linked to druid eggs? I am reading a book about Druidism and some of the symbolism seem to appear in Thoth as well.

Freddie

nicky

Those are Orphic Eggs... On the Lovers card, you can see a serpent curled around it...

From Bryant's An Analysis of Ancient Mythology:

The ancient symbol of the Orphic Mysteries was the serpent-entwined egg, which signified Cosmos as encircled by the fiery Creative Spirit. The egg also represents the soul of the philosopher; the serpent, the Mysteries. At the time of initiation the shell is broken and man emerges from the embryonic state of physical existence wherein he had remained through the fetal period of philosophic regeneration.

I am not sure that the Druid eggs are, but I would venture a guess that they represent similar a concept in the Druid (as well as multiple pantheons) cosmology.

Ashtaroot

OK so it is Scion's fault that I am here...;) LOL
to make a long story short after being guided toward Promethia I got intrigued and came looking for more here and spent the whole weekend going through this thread and all the other refrences on the side taroteca google wiki and all the links .... and I am only on book 3 sidtracked with Thoth and Crowley and diving fast and deep with little to no sleep.

Great thread on to reading more ..

nicky

welcome to the dark side :)

Ashtaroot

woo woo i am loving it too much .. that Universe card is just beautiful she looks like she is belly dancing with the snake and creation and really reality like this is really just a game enjoy it.... I have not read the books yet but that is next on my list.

nicky

Hanged Man

Went to a Thoth event with Lon Milo Duquette on Sunday and raised the question about the hanged man's foot... still can't come to a consensus ...arghhhh

Scion

Ashtaroot said:
OK so it is Scion's fault that I am here...;) LOL
That's such a fantastic compliment. Many thanks for saying so. Although I think the credit should go to Alan Moore. :D I can't wait to hear about the stuff you find working with it. Yay!

nicky

Scion said:
That's such a fantastic compliment. Many thanks for saying so. Although I think the credit should go to Alan Moore. :D I can't wait to hear about the stuff you find working with it. Yay!

Scion,

She has made us all read Promethia... addicts all here :)

xoxox
N.

Probie

Have you looked at Thoth Tarot with Liber T: Tarot of Stars Eternal side-by-side? I find that helps quite a bit. Oh BTW, thanks Scion for the book. :thumbsup: I use it on the days when I got a pip.

I go through one Thoth Tarot with Liber T: Tarot of Stars Eternal card per day so in 78 days...you get it. Very easy elephant eating! I just read Scion's book, Snuffin (2007), and Banzhaf & Theler (2001). So like 5 pages total. Very manageable. This is how I read a 300 page book in 30 days, just 10 pages a day, who can't do that? Killed many psychology books that way.

Just make it manageable. Even when tempted just say, "Only one card today." Then when you don't want to later as this drags on, "Must do one card, it's not that hard." 78 days later, viola!, all done. :D Then you can repeat the process as it's habit...

ekb

nicky said:
She has made us all read Promethia... addicts all here :)
I'll own that I had a bit of a hand in it as well - I had that knowing giggle/grin as I saw said comix in A--'s car on the way to SST.

Now that I've officially inflicted AT on myself, I'm going stop and catch back up... ;)