help me buy a new tarot deck-I'm burned out

Tansey Ella

If you're into RWS decks, I'd take a look at the Steampunk, Bonefire, and Daniloff, all recently released. While all three closely follow RWS symbology, for easy reading, they each offer a fresh aesthetic, with a new perspective on certain cards.

The Steampunk (Moore/Fell) is readily available, expressive, and a bit darker, aesthetically, without giving depressing messages.

The Daniloff is self-published, and pricey. The cards are gorgeous, delightfully quirky and unique.

The Bonefire is also self-published, but much more affordable. It's rich, vibrantly colored, and inspired by old-school tattoo art (without being too derivative and looking like tattoos.)

Several of these decks look interesting. will check out

dancing_moon

How about Universal Fantasy? It's reasonably odd, reasonably along RWS lines (but not a clone), and certainly very meditative.

Also, backing up Marseilles/non-illustrated Minors decks (1JJ Swiss, della Rocca/Soprafino etc). They're very refreshing and psychological - basically, you're reading your subconscious with them. :D

Tansey Ella

Does anyone recall the little green book and Jung archetype ? I have looked eveywhere under jung and can't seem to find it. I may have cards, can't recall.

ncharge

The little grren book, Junian deck. Isn't that the Wisdom Well?

Vixxia

Judging by your description of the decks you prefer the ones I have probably wouldn't interest you much, but I'd suggest a look at the Llewellyn Tarot - the minors are very close to the RWS, and the majors are based on Welsh mythology. I find the artwork very meditative.

Something else that might be worth a look are the lists of popular decks by year, there might be a deck that appeals to you that you wouldn't normally consider:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/topten.shtml

Tansey Ella

Someone once said the deck I was looking for sounds like a picture that Dorian Cleavernger painted, "what Elizabeth did". He does some interesting work, his art of pain is very interesting.

http://mysticdreamsshoppe.com/doclsiprwhel.html

I own the POMO deck and it is modern and had some of the images I think would be good, but he did it in a comical way. I want a serious deck . I have long wanted the author of " the rainbow bridge oracle" to publish their deck but it does not seem it will happen. that deck is very modern in the horror we face in this world.
I once said I wanted a deck that showed the real lives of people now, and not just the lucky and the rich and also one without vampires etc The 9 wands IE, failure is not an option, you're back is to the wall etc. That could be a woman with small children to feed, little food in house and the welfare check is a week away.
Why wont' someone make a deck like this? is everyone rich and beautiful ? Is there no one who grew up in a trailer park or slum apartment who would like to put some images on paper- and respectfully , not mocking the poor?
that is what I want, and it is looking like I will have to make one myself.

dancing_moon

Someone once said the deck I was looking for sounds like a picture that Dorian Cleavernger painted, "what Elizabeth did". He does some interesting work, his art of pain is very interesting.

http://mysticdreamsshoppe.com/doclsiprwhel.html

The painting is really beautiful. It would make a great deck. :)

I grew up in what you might call a slum apartment - and I know I wouldn't want to see THAT in a deck. Just because I'm sick and tired of that. And also, because Tarot is a symbol of something greater to me, something that has nothing to do with rich and poor, food and bills, good and bad neighborhoods. But I can absolutely understand why you'd want to see a more down-to-earth deck.

I remember seeing a deck somewhere on the AT, along the lines of PoMo, but more serious - can't remember the name. It featured renamed suits too, like Bottles and Guns, guys in leather jackets, street walkers and things like that. Maybe, someone else can remember.

Making your own deck sounds like a great idea, though. ;)

Tansey Ella

It is not that- as Adele says- I JUST want to roll in the deep, but I want to show life like it really is for the vast majority of us. We need a deck that shows lives of ordinary people that range from working class to slums. Someone needs to with great care show how their life is . someone who will give it RESPECT and HOPE b/c it is not all bad. Poor people have families and Christmas and love each other too.
Imagine if someone had not done the great book and movie and theater called " A streetcar named desire". We would all have missed out so much.
also, it is not just poverty but illness of all kinds and getting older and working at a job that is not a career- just a job.
This is why I so like " the rainbow bridge oracle" ( previously called the Rain walker tarot). I once Pm'd the author but looks like it will never be done. what a waste of great talent.
I wish the artist Dorian would do a deck too. His Art of Pain is amazing.

I want to be uplifted by tarot but i would like to see more realism. I do see the point of wanting tarot to be beautiful. That is why folks go to movies and read books and watch TV. However for a reading to help me I need to identify with the characters on the cards a bit.

The PoMo is the deck with the leather jackets and tv's etc It was done in a comical way and I thought lacked respect. There was much good about it and it could be turned into the deck I want with some work.

dancing_moon

I can see your point here. :) You have a very strong and definite idea of a deck, so, perhaps, you could try your hand at creating your own deck. It might not be something that'll ever be finished, but creating a deck is a unique experience that'll help you, among other things:

- to precisely articulate what you really want to see in a deck
- to train your right brain
- to have fun
- to see how hard creating a deck really is :D - and have even more respect for the guys who do it

Also, maybe, you'll 'attract' your deck faster this way. Your effort and your ideas are never wasted - think of the numerous times when the same inventions came out almost simultaneously in different places of the world. Your ideas and creative sparkle might inspire someone more skillful in art, even without you knowing that.