help me buy a new tarot deck-I'm burned out

Spiffo

Hi, I got to the point with selecting a deck that I didn't think I'd ever find one. All these IMO poorly executed and ridiculous attempts at trying to distill Tarot into so called 'modern' or 'friendly' decks is leading people further away from what Tarot can be all about. Now don't get me wrong I know for some the Cats and so forth give them great readings; hurrah. I was seduced by the bling of Nefertari's Tarot.

My advice (which is actually worth diddly-squat) is work with the Thoth Deck. You very quickly learn that it isn't about pleasing pictures but symbolism. The links to the 'old' Decans, colour-symbolism, the Tree of Life etc. may afford you an opportunity to work more deeply with Tarot. I also really like the Liber-T: Tarot of the Stars Eternal. These two decks have given me some great insights but they have also led me down side-roads that I would never dreamed I'd take.

Oh one other deck you might like to check out is Tarot of the Silicon Dawn - a spectacular piece of work - a true r/evolution.

Cheers Spiffo

ps - this site has a multitude of decks arranged so that you can easily compare cards: http://www.albideuter.de

Tansey Ella

I'm afraid you have misunderstood me. I don't' want a deck that only I can understand.
I understand decks like Osho, DM, 78 doors etc. I just was looking for a deck that is readable for me. The Rainbow Bridge Oracle is an example of a modern type deck that I would definitely understand, sadly it is not published. The PoMo could have been that deck if not done in a sort of comical way.
I may own this deck already as I have a lot of decks. Most are stored away as I just lost interest in tarot . I picked up the Pen tarot the other day and thought it was great. I wish the author had done a full deck.
I am inclined to agree that either taking a break( which I have done anyway) or meeting up with others interested in tarot might help. While tarot is not underground here, I do live in a sort of Bible belt.
I appreciate the responses from all.
I have often wished I could take cards from several decks to make one deck I love.

Spiffo, thanks so much for the link and the thoughts. :) I looked at the link and found a deck called tarot of Ascension. It is a little darker in color that I really like but looks very interesting. thanks so much.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/2012-ascension/index.shtml

Richard

I'm afraid you have misunderstood me. I don't' want a deck that only I can understand.......
I'm afraid your words misrepresented whatever it is that you are trying to convey. It is almost like a game. You are thinking about what sort of deck would please you, and we are trying to guess what that might be, based on a few obscure hints. One of the hints was: "I just need to be able to understand the scene as portrayed and what I might understand others might not." To my pea sized brain that seems almost like a riddle. Anyhow, good luck in your quest.

Tansey Ella

I'm afraid your words misrepresented whatever it is that you are trying to convey. It is almost like a game. You are thinking about what sort of deck would please you, and we are trying to guess what that might be, based on a few obscure hints. One of the hints was: "I just need to be able to understand the scene as portrayed and what I might understand others might not." To my pea sized brain that seems almost like a riddle. Anyhow, good luck in your quest.

It is not a riddle, it just means I am open to any suggestions . Thank you for your comments, sorry if it sounds confusing.

VampTarot23

I think what you are looking for is the Urban Tarot.

Tansey Ella

I think I may have found The Urban Tarot, by Robert Scott. I like what I see so far. Some of the images remind me of the " The Rainbow Bridge Oracle" ( an unpublished deck that is amazing and everyone should look at).
I look forward to seeing your deck completed.
http://www.robertscottart.com/projects/the-urban-tarot/
I have wanted a deck like this for so long. The PoMo could have been that deck if the images had been more real and less cartoons.
Best wishes to the author and wow, I will be buying your deck when it is finished.

Tansey Ella

look what else I found, looks interesting. I typed in urban here at AE and this was one of the decks that came up.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/boroughs/

I like these cards very much. They are colorful and not complicated . Looks like a winner to me.

Kgirl

Moby as the King of Coins? :laugh:

Tansey Ella

who is Moby anyway?

Kgirl

Perhaps I should not have commented but the New York themed deck intrigued me. Moby is a pretty well known musician / DJ and I was surprised to see his image on the King of Coins card.