Hermit / 4 of swords - road to recovery

Reverie

Hi folks,

There are always those cards that follow you for sometime in your life and beg to be looked at closely and deeply understood. Lately, that combination for me is the hermit and the 4 of swords, sometimes apart, or in combination. They have appeared in present and future focused inquiries. Interestingly, when I asked whether I would stay psychologically healthy, I still drew the Hermit.

I am slightly puzzled at this combination. How does it relate to my life?

The nice aspect is that thanks to the anonymity of this forum, I can be more open than I would be otherwise. Without going into unnecessary detail, over the summer, I became in a vulnerable state due to stress which led me to become ill. I have been recovering for about two months now. I feel mostly back to normal - but with these things, you can never be fully sure. Becoming ill really shook up my life in a way I could really have done without. I had to leave a place I loved, a job I really loved, lovers past and present, and friends I enjoyed. It has been a slow process rebuilding everything, however, now I'm ready to get my 'life as it was' back. I am pursuing career opportunities, a new friendship circle, and what feels really important to me is to find love. Of course, all of these are evolving painfully slowly, but I am keeping faith that they will come.

And yet these two stump me.

It's like they are saying I am not ready. My brain needs more time to heal. I need to go within.
I'm also not alone. I have not completely stopped meeting people. I am going forward with my job search. I have gone on dates. I can say that it all feels like a fragment of the life I was experiencing last year, and so it feels unfulfilling. The hermit, guided by his inner light, knows I have questions, and promises he has answers. I suppose this accident led me to go within - most obviously, to reconnect with tarot after a 2 year break. I've also been wondering why this happened when I had so much going for me!

As to the 4 of swords - what is your experience with this card? I've usually gotten it after a grueling period, and finally, a huge relief. So - what could the relief be about? How am I being asked to seek relief and pause?

In tandem, I think this combination is saying that the on fulfillment I will find is from within, and from really creating solid boundaries. There is also an aspect of 'time will tell so just relax' to me here. But I feel like there is so much more these cards are trying to tell me, and I am only scratching the surface.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

nisaba

There are always those cards that follow you for sometime in your life and beg to be looked at closely and deeply understood. Lately, that combination for me is the hermit and the 4 of swords, sometimes apart, or in combination. They have appeared in present and future focused inquiries. Interestingly, when I asked whether I would stay psychologically healthy, I still drew the Hermit.

Well, both of them are cards of aloneness: one offers spiritual development through time spent alone, the other offers healing through time spent alone. Spiritual development and healing often walk hand-in-hand, in urban societies where the human spirit is denied, derided and ignored.

So you need to focus on yourself to aid your recovery. You need to focus, hermit-like, on your true spiritual self, whatever that may be (and it may not be what you think it is). And you need to take yourself away, Four-Swords-like, from the people, situations, jobs, bills, pollution, money problems, crowds etc that trigger your unwellness.

Do those two things, and you will be able to put yourself back together.

Reverie

Well, both of them are cards of aloneness: one offers spiritual development through time spent alone, the other offers healing through time spent alone. Spiritual development and healing often walk hand-in-hand, in urban societies where the human spirit is denied, derided and ignored.

So you need to focus on yourself to aid your recovery. You need to focus, hermit-like, on your true spiritual self, whatever that may be (and it may not be what you think it is). And you need to take yourself away, Four-Swords-like, from the people, situations, jobs, bills, pollution, money problems, crowds etc that trigger your unwellness.

Do those two things, and you will be able to put yourself back together.

Hi nisaba,

Thank your or the thoughts. I may find some opportunity to do spiritual work, but I'm not sure how or when - that's not how I feel at the moment... Though it might help me figure out what I want in the long term.

I guess I don't know what focusing on my true spiritual self means at this time. Also, I wonder if these cards are saying anything can trigger my unwellness? I can't imagine they suggest I remove myself from all of life's experiences. Who knows...

opalbutterfly

I think the Hermit is saying to listen to yourself. You don't have to physically withdraw from the world but don't stress yourself out, you will stay well if you focus on you and follow a path of enlightenment - so hard in this modern world for many as we suppress all our bodily signals, even tiredness through caffeine and thirst with food. I think it is withdrawing in the sense of prioritising you, giving yourself time, concentrating on strengthening your spirit.

4 of swords, could it have links to the crusade story behind the card? The time of reflection where the soldiers lay in their casket understanding their mortality and reflecting on whether they did right in battle. You have been through a battle and are now reflecting on your situation. I think you need not see it as physically being alone, but again it tells you to reflect on what you have learnt about yourself, your mortality and what you need. I think your relief and recovery lie in working out these lessons and applying them to your life. What do you find healing and beneficial? How can you work this into your week, your day, your life?

Concentrate on self-love and discovery. I totally agree your fulfilment can come from within. Finding love with another will come, but your priority must be you.

seaglass

Hi folks,

The nice aspect is that thanks to the anonymity of this forum, I can be more open than I would be otherwise. Without going into unnecessary detail, over the summer, I became in a vulnerable state due to stress which led me to become ill. I have been recovering for about two months now. I feel mostly back to normal - but with these things, you can never be fully sure. Becoming ill really shook up my life in a way I could really have done without. I had to leave a place I loved, a job I really loved, lovers past and present, and friends I enjoyed. It has been a slow process rebuilding everything, however, now I'm ready to get my 'life as it was' back. I am pursuing career opportunities, a new friendship circle, and what feels really important to me is to find love. Of course, all of these are evolving painfully slowly, but I am keeping faith that they will come.

It's like they are saying I am not ready. My brain needs more time to heal. I need to go within.
I'm also not alone. I have not completely stopped meeting people. I am going forward with my job search. I have gone on dates. I can say that it all feels like a fragment of the life I was experiencing last year, and so it feels unfulfilling. The hermit, guided by his inner light, knows I have questions, and promises he has answers. I suppose this accident led me to go within - most obviously, to reconnect with tarot after a 2 year break. I've also been wondering why this happened when I had so much going for me!

As to the 4 of swords - what is your experience with this card? I've usually gotten it after a grueling period, and finally, a huge relief. So - what could the relief be about? How am I being asked to seek relief and pause?

In tandem, I think this combination is saying that the on fulfillment I will find is from within, and from really creating solid boundaries. There is also an aspect of 'time will tell so just relax' to me here. But I feel like there is so much more these cards are trying to tell me, and I am only scratching the surface.

Both cards about recovery, detachment, introspection, research, investigation, clarification, deeper understanding. It seems like you already have the questions -
How am I being asked to seek relief and pause?

The 4 is about taking a break mentally - in the Rider Waite the figure is lying down, and I always associate that stability, of lying down horizontally on the earth, as an integral explanation for the feel of this card. It's solid, grounded, and at rest, which all associates beautifully with the Emperor, trump 4, who is earth in a masculine form, he preserves who he is and what he has and his kingdom.

Added to the Hermit, who is journeying, it's as if you need to let your mind and your heart wander. I read a description that described the Hermit as being investigative of his past and receptive to the future.

I wonder if therapy or therapeutic activities would help you to dig deeper? Writing in the forum is probably pretty helpful for you. Since Swords are associated with language and the Hermit is a deep thinker, I bet writing in a journal could be called for here. That's anothe forum where you can say anything you want.

Grizabella

I think you've hit the nail right square on the head here. That's just what I think the cards are saying, too. :) They're saying "slow down, take a long rest, and just
concentrate on yourself."

Reverie

I think the Hermit is saying to listen to yourself. You don't have to physically withdraw from the world but don't stress yourself out, you will stay well if you focus on you and follow a path of enlightenment - so hard in this modern world for many as we suppress all our bodily signals, even tiredness through caffeine and thirst with food. I think it is withdrawing in the sense of prioritising you, giving yourself time, concentrating on strengthening your spirit.

This is wonderful opalbutterfly, I had not even considered that the hermit was saying to listen to myself. But I really do need to listen to myself! I need to follow my intuition. It's odd, because at the same time, I can isolate myself easily now that I am living at home again. And that's when my mind can spin. So I actually need others, I need support to help me slow down, or else I am running in circles in my mind. Exercise also helps a lot - dancing.

4 of swords, could it have links to the crusade story behind the card? The time of reflection where the soldiers lay in their casket understanding their mortality and reflecting on whether they did right in battle. You have been through a battle and are now reflecting on your situation. I think you need not see it as physically being alone, but again it tells you to reflect on what you have learnt about yourself, your mortality and what you need. I think your relief and recovery lie in working out these lessons and applying them to your life. What do you find healing and beneficial? How can you work this into your week, your day, your life?

Absolutely so true. I think I push myself to excesses - I have to do everything so intensely. But I don't. And if I can let go of all or nothing, and becoming a more mellow person, I think I will become a lot more attractive to myself and others. I need to remove intensity from my life.

Concentrate on self-love and discovery. I totally agree your fulfilment can come from within. Finding love with another will come, but your priority must be you.

Thank you for these meaningful tips. :heart:

Reverie

Both cards about recovery, detachment, introspection, research, investigation, clarification, deeper understanding. It seems like you already have the questions -

So cool to have these key words listed out. I also wonder if this will relate to my work, which is not light in nature. Detaching is good as well I suppose. I can fall in love with my self again. That really needs to happen!

The 4 is about taking a break mentally - in the Rider Waite the figure is lying down, and I always associate that stability, of lying down horizontally on the earth, as an integral explanation for the feel of this card. It's solid, grounded, and at rest, which all associates beautifully with the Emperor, trump 4, who is earth in a masculine form, he preserves who he is and what he has and his kingdom.

Beautiful. I need to do this as well when I am involved with others - I need to have a kingdom to protect and cherish first and foremost! Lying down also reminds me of yoga. It's a nice feeling.

Added to the Hermit, who is journeying, it's as if you need to let your mind and your heart wander. I read a description that described the Hermit as being investigative of his past and receptive to the future.

I love this description!! Yes - I NEED to let my mind and heart wander. I haven't done that in years. I don't know what that feels like to have something to wonder and wander over - I always have the next thing lined up that I want. But I also do a lot of reflecting and fantasy generating, and if I'm not able to do that, I can't be creative.

I wonder if therapy or therapeutic activities would help you to dig deeper? Writing in the forum is probably pretty helpful for you. Since Swords are associated with language and the Hermit is a deep thinker, I bet writing in a journal could be called for here. That's anothe forum where you can say anything you want.

Yes, writing in general, and writing in this forum helps immensely! It is where I get most of my writing done. I am in therapy, but not getting a lot out of it. I have before, but different therapists call for different approaches and they are not always the best. Will look at other options as well.

Thank you!! :heart:

Reverie

I think you've hit the nail right square on the head here. That's just what I think the cards are saying, too. :) They're saying "slow down, take a long rest, and just concentrate on yourself."

Thank you Grizabella, I agree. I am still looking for jobs and setting up interviews, and it's stressing the heck out of me!

aurafields

Hi folks,

Hi, I think the two cards are showing that you are not through this yet, but you are healing, although it is slow coming to the end of whatever this lesson is trying to teach you. The Hermit is showing you are alone in this, having to gain the insight yourself, noone can do it for you, but the spiritual lessons you need to learn from this are coming to you through your time alone in introspection. I think the four of swords is showing that you are still in a place where you are in need of solitude, rest, and more time to recover. The four can represent the fourth chakra, and so it may be that this entire ordeal has played even greater on your heart energies, and this is why you are having to remain in rest more. It is a good sign that you are nearly half way there though, and have every reason to know that you are recovering well and that this was a much needed time of rest for you to gain replenishment of your energies. I have been in the situation you are in and I can't speak highly enough of the dream world and how much help can be gained through dreams. I would rock the heck out of a dream journal and not open my eyes all of the way in the morning until I lay there trying to retrieve all I can from the last thought while waking. Jot it all down, then pay attention to those thoughts during the day, as I think the four of swords is pointing to this as a time of your regrouping, and the dreams can help you to gain greater insight and understanding as to how to proceed and regain the life you want in all areas as you recover. Remember the four points strongly to replenishment of energies after a much needed rest. Because the four of swords is next to the Hermit, I also feel the cards are showing you how helpful meditation can be to you now. The two cards together show the difficult time you've been having and are in the midst of coming out of slowly as represented by the four of swords, showing you still need to take good care, get rest and meditate to keep improving. Theswe two show me that you are going to experience much renewal of healing energies as you were just beat down and now this much needed and well deserved rest that was basically forced upon you, will bring the opportunity for you to later see that you grew during this time like you never would have expected and are much more prepared for the rest of the journey with new spiritual revisions to your plan and spiritual growth as well as a sense of literally being rested and rejuvenated. The four of swords with the Hermit, could even be pointing to your possibly taking this time to begin writing or perhaps even planning a book or article that will help you to focus your pain, losses, and healing, into an article that could help others. That's all part of what the spiritual growth here indicates to me anyway. Hope this helps. Just my take. I will send you good thoughts and light.