Honesty over tarot reading?

nac2311

Hi everyone,
I had a client who said she loves a man who is with another woman. The reading I got basically said that his relationship will end with the current partner around autumn time and that they could get together once this happens.

I also told the client that the man can't make decisions. He won't end the relationship, instead he wants his partner to end it for him. This is something the client agreed on. she said he is terrible at decisions.

She asked what would break the couple up and it read as the current partner will get suspicious of the affair and end it. The client said that the current partner was suspicious.

The reading continued and - in a nutshell - showed that when his relationship ends she'll simply become the partner and he won't show commitment to her either. She seemed happy about that.

It all felt like a bit of a sad tragic case.

This reading was straight from the cards. However, my question is - should I have read the cards? OR should I have said that he's in a relationship and therefore no good and that she should move on.

What does the community think??

Thanks

Sandalwood

Depends on how you look at it, what you are comfortable with.

I think you did well, because you didn't judge the situation, but just read her cards. Being unbiased, even if you personally would make different choices, is also why people go to a tarot reader.

I have a lot of these kind of readings & really had to learn how I'd like to deal with it, I do always point out the option of leaving this kind of relationship & sometimes refer to books about it, but only as an extra. Especially since 9 out of 10 times, the cards obviously show that it will continue as an affair. And the client is already very aware of her situation also, but she just can't leave it. I do always try to take empowerment into readings. Not that future orientated.

Hope that helps a bit

nac2311

Hi Sandalwood,

Thanks for that. It does help.

The client asked if the man and his current partner will end. I got the 3 swords and 2 of cups reversed. I know the 2 cups reversed is a break up, so I answered yes.

It's difficult when talking to these sorts of people as their desires make little common sense, but the cards I find will show the affair, the break up and the new love.

I maybe just need to think about what I'm comfortable with saying.

Bonny

You sound like you're doing an excellent job!

Guess it comes back to connecting with your intention at the beginning of your sessions and being clear ... with compassion when cards say something banal or undesirable in light of the questioners intents. You can only do what you can do ... Her choice is up to her . Go well!! :)

Zyfe

I think it's absolutely right (especially if you're taking paying clients) to relay what you see in the cards, and to do so without adding in your own unsolicited personal opinions/advice. I admire people who can do this! I doubt I ever could, which is one reason I avoid being put in situations where I'd ever be asked to read for a stranger.

If it makes you uncomfortable, you might want to give thought instead what questions you're willing to read for in the first place. For example, 'no doing readings about a relationship that doesn't directly involve the client' (e.g. here the client's love interest and his relationship with another woman). I've seen readers discussing their boundaries in a several threads, most recently this one.

Of course there's a difference between what you're prepared to ask in a personal reading, and whether you can afford to limit yourself in answering clients' questions if you're reading professionally... Ultimately it's the client's responsibility and choice, whether to ask these questions and how to act on the answers given.

nac2311

Thanks Bonny & Zyfe, your comments are very welcome :)

It's paid clients, so I'm kinda at a disadvantage as they expect to be told what's in the cards. I try to be honest at all times, even if it's not a great outcome.

Thanks again.

danieljuk

*I think* I would tell the truth here because that is what the cards say. If you wanted to say that if you did get with him, it looks like it wouldn't work out long term, I think that would be okay. It would be important for me to say that if someone could cheat on someone else, they are highly likely to cheat again. I think that is a point to make in what you say.

I am currently going through a tarot phase of not just telling people what to do (which seems to come really easy to me :D) but instead giving options. So perhaps think how you can advise and they can make their own choices in what to do. They might need to go through the hurt as an important life event. Sometimes we have to say what we see and let them make their own decisions.

You did really well with this though and I think every reader would ponder over this :):thumbsup:

Rhapsodin

If you can't be honest in giving a reading then you shouldn't be reading. If I went to a reader and found they were dishing me bull, I'd refuse to pay. I don't want a reader's moral vantage creeping into this kind of thing. Sorry I can't be more accommodating.

Grizabella

You did the right thing. You said what you saw in the cards. But if the cards didn't say "if he did it to her, he'll do it to you" then you shouldn't have thrown that in. That's your own opinion and the cards didn't say that, right? But you've done well otherwise.

We're paid to say what we see in the cards. We're not paid to twist the cards to say what we're personally thinking. Reading cards for others for pay is a business and we're obligated to do that to the honest best of our ability. It's not our place to try to get them to shape up and fly right according to our own opinion of what's right.

Let me give you a for instance---I know this couple who just recently married. The man's late wife was still alive when they became involved but she had cancer and was unable to be a real partner to him during her last months and maybe even longer. The new woman lived clear around the world in another country. When the man's wife died, this new woman came to America and helped him get through the funeral, etc. Now, I personally thought this whole situation was pretty tacky. Especially the trip here to meet him in person and attend his late wife's funeral. (Gimme a break, would'ja? ) But my personal opinion had no place in the matter. Some people actually do pick the next partner for their spouse when they found out they're dying. I wouldn't do it, I don't think, but some people find that's a very loving thing to do. Reading on this situation, it wasn't my place to make any judgments whatsoever because---well, it just wasn't. And I didn't pollute the situation with my holier-than-thou opinions about it. As it turns out, the new wife is an absolutely lovely person and the couple are very happy. As far as that goes, I believe the late wife, from her place in the hereafter, is very happy for them.

We just don't have any place doing anything except to read what the cards are saying without our own personal bias. That's a big role to fill, but if we can't do it impartially, then we shouldn't do it at all. And that includes me!

Holland

You did the right thing, you told her exactly what the cards said and that is ethical. You did not put your personal opinion(although its really tempting). It was an ethical reading over all....from what I read.