Is Tarot like a Ouiji board?

Holland

Questions for those who have been doing Tarot for years....I have been told that Tarot is something not to be handled lightly and needs to be used with "kid gloves" and some physics and other religion than my own have turned away from Tarot because there was a strong mystery that scared them. They told me it all started fun and games until the more they used it, the more energy was taken away and even considered it a form of "Ouija"(I am very open minded and love to try new things in a heart beat, but my in depth research and intuitive tells me to stay away from anything to do or relate to Ouija).
What is your opinion? Is it going to get darker/harder from here, or was it just bad experience? Am I expected to later come at a crossroads to either stop or continue? Do you have experience that made you 2nd guess Tarot? Or really in the end its all about the person who handles the cards?
I have done my research, books, youtube, blogs, journaling ect. and now I am at the part of my journey where I would love/enjoy hear from other's personal experience.
I could use all the wisdom and advice. I already know what I believe in, but I would LOVE to hear your personal input. Blessings my friends.

EmpressArwen

Questions for those who have been doing Tarot for years....I have been told that Tarot is something not to be handled lightly and needs to be used with "kid gloves" and some physics and other religion than my own have turned away from Tarot because there was a strong mystery that scared them. They told me it all started fun and games until the more they used it, the more energy was taken away and even considered it a form of "Ouija"(I am very open minded and love to try new things in a heart beat, but my in depth research and intuitive tells me to stay away from anything to do or relate to Ouija).
What is your opinion? Is it going to get darker/harder from here, or was it just bad experience? Am I expected to later come at a crossroads to either stop or continue? Do you have experience that made you 2nd guess Tarot? Or really in the end its all about the person who handles the cards?
I have done my research, books, youtube, blogs, journaling ect. and now I am at the part of my journey where I would love/enjoy hear from other's personal experience.
I could use all the wisdom and advice. I already know what I believe in, but I would LOVE to hear your personal input. Blessings my friends.

I can only speak of my personal experience...I don't like using the Ouija board. I had a couple of scary experience but I was also just a kid when I used it, so a child's imagination could have played heavily into those situations. It's not something I really understand so I can't truly judge it and like any tool that we use, the experience would probably vary greatly depending on who is using it.

I believe in trusting your gut...if something feels truly wrong to you, trust that and stay away. That does not mean that you should judge it as bad or wrong overall, just as not right for you.

I have had a couple of scary experiences with tarot but it was obvious to me that it wasn't the cards but the situation I was in. I took a break but came back again when in the right frame of mind.

I truly believe that tarot is as different as each of the people who handle the cards. Whether to stop or continue is completely up to you...my suggestion is that you never compromise who you are for anything...tarot included.

Holland

I can only speak of my personal experience...I don't like using the Ouija board. I had a couple of scary experience but I was also just a kid when I used it, so a child's imagination could have played heavily into those situations. It's not something I really understand so I can't truly judge it and like any tool that we use, the experience would probably vary greatly depending on who is using it.

I have had a couple of scary experiences with tarot but it was obvious to me that it wasn't the cards but the situation I was in. I took a break but came back again when in the right frame of mind.

If you do not mind me being nosey, but what was your scary experience? sorry if that over stepped the boundaries, you totally can say no, but I want to go into this with both eyes opened. So far I have not had a scary moment.

nisaba

Questions for those who have been doing Tarot for years....I have been told that Tarot is something not to be handled lightly and needs to be used with "kid gloves"
Well, I treat it lightly and seriously, depending on the context. I carry decks (more than one of them) around, and pull them out to shuffle when I'm bored. They have enhanced my life beyond measure, making it far better than it could ever have been without Tarot.

and some physics and other religion than my own have turned away from Tarot because there was a strong mystery that scared them.
God is a strong mystery. The spark of life is a strong mystery. goodness is a strong mystery. Do these religions which you do not name turn away from them as well?

The Tarot is rooted in Catholic Europe, and most cards have spiritual imagery on them, even Christian imagery. I suppose some religions could be bothered by that. I am not a Christian, but I am not bothered by it personally. I have a church down the road from me, too, but I don't avoid walking past it.

They told me it all started fun and games until the more they used it, the more energy was taken away
<curiously> Did you ask them how much they had used it, to be able to say that with any real knowledge? I've been using it since the 1970s. And very very often for much of that time, most of it. It has been a huge blessing in my life.

and even considered it a form of "Ouija"
Ah, yes. The French word for "yes" and the German word for "yes" sandwiched together. I can see how two yeses could terrify some people. Even, a piece of cardboard with letters around the edge and an upended kitchen-glass. Scary.

What is your opinion? Is it going to get darker/harder from here, or was it just bad experience?
Life is complex. Sometimes it is good, sometimes it is bad. Tarot enables you to find ways to make the good better, and to minimise or even completely avoid the bad bits, if you are sensitive and skilled, and you actually take its advice and do the real-world work after the reading.

Am I expected to later come at a crossroads to either stop or continue?
I have no expectations of you. What are your own expectations of yourself?

Do you have experience that made you 2nd guess Tarot?
What do you mean? I'd like to help you, but I really don't understand the question.

Or really in the end its all about the person who handles the cards?
Of course it is. :)

Books, youtube and blogs are other people's personal experience. What else would they have to base their writing on?

I already know what I believe in,

The beauty of Tarot is that you don't have to believe in it, any more than you have to believe in a car to drive it, or a bowl of soup to eat it. It exists, and it does its job, like the car and the soup. A bad driver can cause an accident, a bad cook can make nasty-tasting soup, a bad Tarot reader can do bad readings. But those three things all do their jobs without any faith being needed.

Grizabella

Tarot decks are stacks of card stock with pictures on them. I look at the pictures and read them.

The difference between Tarot and a Ouija board is that with Ouija, you're summoning actual spirits for your answers. At least, that's what I'm told. With Tarot cards you're not. Or at least---I'm not. Other people may choose to do differently but I don't think most of them are summoning spirits any more than I am.

EmpressArwen

If you do not mind me being nosey, but what was your scary experience? sorry if that over stepped the boundaries, you totally can say no, but I want to go into this with both eyes opened. So far I have not had a scary moment.

My experiences were very dark and scary messages...but again I was a kid messing around. I had "someone" say that they were watching me, that they were going to take over my body...stuff like that. I was freaked and determined that it just wasn't for me.

Metafizzypop

Ouija is to help you communicate with the dead.

Tarot is to help you understand the living.

:)

ravenest

IMO tarot is nothing like a Ouiji board.

Spirit evocation is (or should be ) an art or science that one needs to be trained in, the equivalent is like a trained electrician ... an ouija board is like playing with the wiring to see what happens.

Tarot is a set of images that we make associations to and draw conclusions from.

GotH

IMO tarot is nothing like a Ouiji board.

Spirit evocation is (or should be ) an art or science that one needs to be trained in, the equivalent is like a trained electrician ... an ouija board is like playing with the wiring to see what happens.

Tarot is a set of images that we make associations to and draw conclusions from.

Any experiences with one ravenest?
Ouija that is...

Grizabella

What a wonderful way to put it, Fizzy. I like that!

One of my aunts bought a Ouija board when I was a really little girl. She showed me and my cousins how it worked but we couldn't make the planchet move. She could, though. Later in life she developed schizophrenia but even though my Christian fundie family connected the two, I don't believe Ouija had anything to do with her later mental illness.