Hopes and Fears and the Wheel of Fortune....

Cave Bear

I was doing a reading for someone yesterday, just a standard celtic cross and the wheel of fortune turned up in hopes an fears positiion. I haven't been reading forever and have not struck this.... I'd love to hear what this may mean to other readers. The reading itself was about how a current conflictual situation will unfold between this person and her son and daughter in law.

Thank You.

Teheuti

The person hopes for change yet also fears it. I usually ask the querent something like what kind of change they hope for in the situation, and what is their greatest fear about such a change coming to pass.

Mary

aja

my first thought was that often it is best to approach what one fears (in order to resolve or overcome the fear)

Free Flight

My initial impression here is that the querant is kind of prisoner to their emotions. They rise and fall without great control which leads to kind of a blow out of hopes and fears without great substance behind it.

Obviously if I were saying this to a querant I would phrase it a lot more diplomatically than that!

just my two cents worth

x

mythos

For me it is a kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't situation - or gloried if you do, gloried if you don't situation, depending on your perspective. Change is inevitable. We can both hope that it is the change that we want and fear that it won't. Whatever happens, we ride that wheel ... that is something that we can either do with grace - recognising that cycles are a condition of life and we may as well just flow with them, or we can invest ourselves mentally and emotionally in the outcomes through hope and fear, regardless of the inevitability of change.

Helping the sitter to see the cycles of life, and the inevitability of change, and to encourage them to expand their perspective and thus ride that great Ferris wheel of life with a sense of adventure rather than fear, can be difficult, but exceedingly helpful. Mind you, ultimately, everyone of us is riding our own wheel and will do it within the context of our own time and need and purposes.

mythos:)

ArwenNightstar

I tell people that the Wheel of Fortune is a carousel. On every carousel ride you have a chance to grab a brass ring for another free ride.

The secret is that you have to GRAB THE DAMNED RING to win. :)

catgrrl

in that position with that card, depending on the surrounding cards i might interpret it as meaning that the querant is looking for a sign, or waiting for some sign of their destiny? whenever that card comes up for me it always strikes me as reflecting some kind of external forces at work that are bigger than i am. in the hopes and fears position, i would interpret it either that the person is hoping or wishing for their destiny to be at hand, or they are afraid of forces they cannot control possibly? hope that might be useful, for what its worth!