Shuffling?

kamodo

Hi,

I just have a basic question on shuffling, and dealing cards. Now, I've personally gotten accustomed to just shuffling normally, and grabbing a cut of the deck and turning them 180 degrees, to also change up the reversals and such. Once I'm done shuffling, I simply place the deck down on the table, and draw the cards from the top. Now, I haven't run into any problems doing this, but it would be interesting to hear how other shuffle, and to know if there is anything "wrong" with shuffling this way? I hear some people spread the cards out and get the Querent to select certain cards, and I was wondering if it's better to shuffle between each card drawn, or not.

Just curious,
Kamodo

Sulis

Hi Kamodo,

Welcome to Aeclectic :)

There is nothing wrong with the way you shuffle - each to their own :)

I shuffle hand over hand, sometimes I just dump the cards out onto the table and swish tem about. Then I cut the deck into 3 piles, restack them and then fan the cards out. I then choose the cards from the fanned out deck.

Love

Sulis xx

Amhran

I shuffle like a compulsive poker player! Very quickly and over and over again, doing that "curved bridge thing" after each shuffle. My Pop-Pop, quite the gambler when he was alive, taught me that. Then I'll cut the deck into 3 or 5 piles, randomly pick the piles up into one pile and then shuffle some more til I feel like it's "ready".

I often go through the whole deck just asking questions, laying out 3 or 5 cards for each answer. I won't shuffle in between except on rare occasions.

Sunburst

I shuffle like Amhran, but I keep all the cards in one direction as I shuffle. Then I cut the deck, and lately have taken to dealing the cards one from the top, one from the bottom, one from the top, one from the bottom, etc... There's no particular reason for this... I just like to do it that way.

But if I feel like it, I sometimes take all cards from the top, or keep cutting the deck between cards and then select the top card each time. When I'm finished, I always put each card back somewhere in the middle of the deck and shuffle again.

If the person I'm reading for likes to do it differently, I have no problem with that either.

To each his own.

Sunburst

sunflowr

There's no wrong way to shuffle. You could take the deck to the top of the Empire State buidling or "Top of the Rock" in NYC or any tall building anywhere in the world, dump all your cards out the window, watch as they fall like a ticker tape parade down to the ground, and then take the elevator down, go outside, gather up all your cards, and it's shuffled. ;)

I usually riffle shuffle side to side, because I notice the cards stay "bent" a bit when I shuffle length wise. So, I dont like to do that much. I shuffle until I feel it's time to stop. Usually about 8 times (8 is my destiny number), and then cut 3 piles to the left and gather them back up to one pile. Then I fan them out and pick a card(s). I tried from the top but I don't know... I kind of like having the freedom to pick from anywhere and not having to worry if the deck is shuffled enough. It's also alot easier to do that for others- to fan the deck and let them pick, as they have control over the cards picked and yet DON'T have to shuffle the deck. I dont let others shuffle, no way. ;p I let them cut the deck, and pick their cards. But that's all.

ArwenNightstar

kamodo said:
Hi,

I just have a basic question on shuffling, and dealing cards. Now, I've personally gotten accustomed to just shuffling normally, and grabbing a cut of the deck and turning them 180 degrees, to also change up the reversals and such. Once I'm done shuffling, I simply place the deck down on the table, and draw the cards from the top. Now, I haven't run into any problems doing this, but it would be interesting to hear how other shuffle, and to know if there is anything "wrong" with shuffling this way? I hear some people spread the cards out and get the Querent to select certain cards, and I was wondering if it's better to shuffle between each card drawn, or not.

Just curious,
Kamodo

I shuffle the deck while talking to the client. I don't read reversals so turning them doesn't matter one way or the other. Then I hand the deck to the client and have them shuffle in any way that they are comfortable.

Then I have them cut the cards into three piles. And then I do the reading.

I do not shuffle between each card and for whatever reason, that thought gives me the "ICK ICK ICKIES" lol!

ArwenNightstar

sunflowr said:
There's no wrong way to shuffle. You could take the deck to the top of the Empire State buidling or "Top of the Rock" in NYC or any tall building anywhere in the world, dump all your cards out the window, watch as they fall like a ticker tape parade down to the ground, and then take the elevator down, go outside, gather up all your cards, and it's shuffled. ;)

Nuh huh! :-D That would be dangerous! LOL!

tarobones

me2

I shuffle exactly as kamodo does, and have never experienced problems. I don't mind reversals, actually I enjoy them and find them enriching my readings. BB, Michael

ArwenNightstar

tarobones said:
I shuffle exactly as kamodo does, and have never experienced problems. I don't mind reversals, actually I enjoy them and find them enriching my readings. BB, Michael

I used to read with reversals but someone suggested that I try it without. For me, I found my readings to be much more intuitive. Everyone's mileage will vary though! :)