How do I get my new tarot cards to "work" for lack of a better word?

page of wands

I have these new tarot cards, but I feel like they aren't working for me. I have tried to do readings with them, and they aren't working, for lack of a better word. Is this possible? What can I do to get them to work for me or connect to me?

lilylilac

I'm not sure, I have this problem sometimes as well.

I would suggest spending time with them, going through the cards slowly, think about what things they remind you of.

page of wands

I'm not sure, I have this problem sometimes as well.

I would suggest spending time with them, going through the cards slowly, think about what things they remind you of.

Alright, I will. Thank you. :)

euripides

I find reading - as in books and websites - helps. You need to know the symbolism and stories, and these days, a lot of people don't get to hear the mythology, Bible stories and folk tales that appear in many decks. I don't think this conflicts with intution but rather makes it richer, adds another layer.

WHich deck is it, and what attracted you to it?

Padma

Many times, it is *us* that are shut down, not the cards. They always say what they want to say; it is we, the readers, who are not always listening, or able to decipher the message.

Perhaps clearing your own mind first with a mediation, or taking the time to make reading the cards into a ritual, will provide you with better insight from the cards. :)

I know that when I was young, and always rushing, and always full of burning desire to know, I often pressed my cards so hard for answers, that they in effect deserted me - I thought - when rather, I had deserted them, in my hurry to demand answers. When I grew older, and changed my rhythm, and approached them more seriously and with a quiet mind, I had far superior results. :heart:

Ace

Which deck is giving you trouble?

I would do the usual things one does when learning tarot: read the Little White book. Lay the Major and minor arcana out in lines Majors: 0-10 and 11-21 and minors Ace to King and compare the similarities and differences you see across the same number in different suites. Tell yourself a story with the line from low to high (or back). And compare each card to the cards you usually use (that "work" for you.)

If that doesn't do it, maybe this is not the deck for you. I find that I can't read most decks. I am a absolute RWS clone person. And many decks even RWS clones don't work for me. I examine new decks by looking at a few cards and saying: what does this say to me? Can I get a Message from it? if not, it may not be a deck for me.

Just because it is a RWS clone or a deck similar to what you use, doesn't mean it works for you. So don't beat yourself up. It may be them, not you.

barb

RiverRunsDeep

Sometimes it helps to compare the new cards with one of your decks that you are more familiar with. So, do a reading with the new cards, then pull those same cards from the familiar deck. Compare and contrast them, and see what you come up with.

Sometimes the artwork in a deck has very specific and unique meanings according to the artist who created it. In those cases, it is helpful to read the LWB or, even better, the companion book.

Tanga

Hmmm. If it doesn't "work" - it's because you don't yet understand how to use the imagery or the imagery doesn't really speak to you. As has been said, compare and contrast with something you do know, read the companion books etc.
It might be that though the artwork is dazzling and novel enough for you to have bought it - it just doesn't gel as a storey you personally, can tell...

I have quite a few decks like that.
I use single cards from them as meditation or altar props, or for personal reading exercises for myself - but I'd never do a reading with them for someone else. :)
I am an RWS format person - but I much prefer newer RWS inspired decks - to using the RWS or RWS clones. The more modern artwork is far more pleasing to me.

Nemia

I like Alison Cross' book Tarot Kaizen. I think the exercises are available on Facebook. They familiarize you day by day with a deck you bought but can't connect with immediately. Until now, I really like the idea.

You could take any other workbook (Mary Greer's two workbooks, Lynda Cowles' Tarot Play Book, Christine Jette's Shadow Work book or Andy Matzner's Tarot Actitvities) and use the deck you find difficult to do at least some of the readings or exercises. Of course you can take any idea and change it. Just look at it and use it.

I find until now the Tarot Kaizen approach really great and ask myself: why didn't I think about that myself???

I try to participate in the Deck of the Week group - often, I don't have time or nerves to pull a daily card. But I always have a deck on my desk, go through it etc.

Handle the deck in question as often as you can. Shuffle, order, shuffle it. Compare it with other decks.

I try to do all these things with the decks I'm having problems with ;-)

eolian

I would try smudging the new deck with white sage under a full moon. To drive away any bad karma they may have picked up. Someone from the publishing factory may of been extremely angry and touched them while being made.

Afterward i would ask the deck under the same moon light if it wants to work with me to reveal the unknown. Talk to it and see what it says?

If it seems agreeable keep it close like under your pillow and perhaps draw a card in the wee hours. Just handle the cards in total darkness until one jumps out and see what it reveals for the next day.
This is one of my favorite things to do with a new deck.

Although i personally think the cards connect with the beyond to reveal things to me and they are not just ink & cardboard.