How do you keep neutral

moderndayruth

Great question, Ana! :thumbsup: I often read for friends on whose stuff i often have my own, quite biased opinions... and than i lay down the cards and the cards tell whole another story! :laugh: I say what's in the cards, because that's what's they asked for, not my personal opinion. ;)
Other than that - i often have sitters not telling me the question at all, generals and so on, so i can't have an opinion... i do pick up various stuff during readings though, i say that "i feel this or that"... I had biased readers interpreting my cards, i was angry too, i don't like that... though, honestly, i think it is not easy to de-touch/ non-attach.

nisaba

As to keeping neutral - I have given people advice very much against my won grain (to cheat their employer once, to be unfaithful more than once) when it came up as a solution to their problem in a reading.

My own beliefs about these sorts of behaviours don't get in the way of my delivering the message.

I have sometimes said, though, that this is not what I would normally recommend, but its there in black and white on the table in front of them.

zephyr_heart

I think I learned the harsh lesson here.

Once I read for a friend. Well, we had a misunderstanding (mainly because I can't keep neutral about the issue) and she's been silent to me ever since that...

ANA

zephyr_heart said:
I think I learned the harsh lesson here.

Once I read for a friend. Well, we had a misunderstanding (mainly because I can't keep neutral about the issue) and she's been silent to me ever since that...

i too have learned a hard lesson but mine was the exact opposite

it happened about 30 years ago and to this day i wonder, i had this childhood friend, her and i had been friends since we were six, we lived in the same apartment building and we grew up together, when we were in our late teens her father fell ill with cancer
we were on a holiday together and she asked me to do a cartomacy reading for her - and i saw her father dying! i did not say anything since it was obvious he would be dying sooner rather than later
two days later we got a call to come home because her father had just died

and to this day i wonder if i had said something if she would have decided to cut the trip short and catch her father for one last time before he died

since then i alsways say what i see, i will not say "he dies " of course not!!!! but i will say things to the effect "i dont like these cards.....they are kind of dark......" and then let the sitter decide if they want to ask what do i mean or not

i of course agree with everybody here on NOT giving advice to strangers, never ever

but when i am asked by friends i do give the advice that the cards seem to want me to give, and when is based on "inside" knowledge of my friends i also alwasy say so; so that they can judge if they want to pay attention to it or not

also when i am asked to be "brutaly" honest then i am

Sulis

I actually describe my readings as readings for 'insight, guidance and advice' so I have no problem using the cards for advice and I always have positions for advice in the spreads that I use.
The way that I keep neutrality and the way that I think is the only way for other readers to remain neutral is to read the cards and no more.
Leave your own beliefs and ego at the door when you're reading for someone else and tell them what the cards say. You can't go far wrong if that's a rule that you stick to. Be compassionate in your deliverance of the message that you see but stick to the message.

I have on occasion given someone a grounding meditation to do as an add on to the reading I've given but only if the reading shows that they need to be more grounded or more in tune with themselves and they ask for help with this. I would never offer personal opinions as part of a reading; people go to their friends for those, they come to tarot readers for tarot readings.