How Do You Pronounce 'Tarot' When Talking?

How Do You Pronounce 'Tarot'?

• ta - ROW or

Votes: 32 27.8%
  • TAR - oh

Votes: 32 27.8%
  • TUR - oh

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • te - ROW

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • TEAR - oh

Votes: 40 34.8%
  • te - ROTT

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • TEAR - it

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • turah

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

page of ghosts

Reviving this thread, I pronounce tarot like it rhymes with "carrot" if you drag the first syllable a little, with a strong k, rolling r and the t pronounced. So kaaah-rhot and taaah-rhot, hopefully I've written it so an English-speaker can attempt it.

That's in my native language though ;) In English it's just tah-ro for me.

Saskia

How do sparrow and tear-oh rhyme??? :O Even if it's tear a paper, not shed a tear. I also pronounce sparrow like Padma, spa[h]-rrow.

Wouldn't the first tear rhyme with bear and the next with fear?

gregory

How do sparrow and tear-oh rhyme??? :O Even if it's tear a paper, not shed a tear. I also pronounce sparrow like Padma, spa[h]-rrow.

Wouldn't the first tear rhyme with bear and the next with fear?
It's a regional accent thing. To make sense, this thread would do best to stick with the way someone set up the OTHER poll: just which syllable you stress and whether you do or don't sound the T. That's why the SECOND poll, as this came up before BIG time - read up !!!!

Gwynydd

To rhyme with sparrow.

Carojulie

It makes total sense for me to rhyme it with Sparrow. That is how I pronouce Tarot. Emphasize on the last syllabe, and I do not pronouce the last T.

Then I suppose it depends how you pronounce sparrow (I'm sure I would be surprised if I heard the entire span of possibilities here). the way I say it is with an open and present "A", and then a light stress on the last syllable.
But I am french, and we tend to put the accent on the last syllable usually, while still making the first syllable present. When the last syllable is an "O" sound, we sort of close down on that "O" (O is not pronouced the same if it is at the begining or at the end of a word)

Also, I speak english with a strong french accent so I might just as well pronouce Tarot completely wrong.

But, I noticed that my english speaking friends do pronounce it more or less the same way I do (minus the french accent), and they never made me repeat the word, so I guess they understand when I say the word that way !

The way it is pronounced in Doreen Virtue's video, is the first time I hear it pronouced like that. I still understood what she was talking about, in any case.
But, english is spoken in many countries, and even in the US alone you have so many different accents ! It's very different to hear english spoken with a britsh accent, a US middle west accent, a US Boston accent, an australian accent, a South African accent.... So anything goes, surely !

EmpyreanKnight

Here in my country it's pronounced as "TAR - oh" by those in the know, tho some do vocalize the T at the end

Morwenna

Gads. "Sparrow" is really the closest, despite what I said before. In other threads I've explained it as "TAA-roe," which really does rhyme with "sparrow." "Tear-oh" is kind of close, depending on how your mouth happens to be working that day. :) Problem is, a lot of people say "spare-oh" when speaking of the bird, so sometimes it's all in the company one keeps. I have a tendency to sound like the people I've been conversing with (though I don't generally imitate sounds that are very far from my usual), so it really does depend on circumstances.

But no matter what, the accent is on the first syllable and the T is silent. :)

Scarlet Woodland

Yep... another sparrow here :)

Saskia

Problem is, a lot of people say "spare-oh" when speaking of the bird

Thank you Morwenna for clarifying the sparrow issue. I've been scratching my head trying to figure how Tear-oh can possibly rhyme with sparrow as stated by many in this thread and now you explained - I haven't heard that pronunciation in action so couldn't imagine it.