How Do You Pronounce 'Tarot' When Talking?

How Do You Pronounce 'Tarot'?

• ta - ROW or

Votes: 32 27.8%
  • TAR - oh

Votes: 32 27.8%
  • TUR - oh

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • te - ROW

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • TEAR - oh

Votes: 40 34.8%
  • te - ROTT

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • TEAR - it

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • turah

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Padma

Proper pronunciation of Lenormand (I am French, so trust me! }) ) is LE (as in leh) nor (as you would say north, without the th at the end) MAN(D) (the d is silent)

So: LEnorMAN(D)

In case you cared! :laugh:

ETA to stay OT, I pronounce tarot as TAro(T) the t is silent at the end, just barely acknowledged.

prudence

I have been pronouncing Lenormand correctly then!

I do think the amount of years of having taken French has influenced my pronunciation of tarot. Having all of that pounded into your head from 7th grade up through my second year of college (and by that year I was already in 400 level French classes) really leaves a strong imprint that you can't just shake off. :D I wouldn't pronounce Merlot like MER-loh, I pronounce it mer-loh, it's just automatic with certain words. At the same time, I do not add in the throaty French "R" bit, but I would if I were speaking to a person who spoke only French.

Morwenna

I'm one of the 28 who voted for TEAR-oh, as being the closest to rhyming with "sparrow." I agree with what everyone who agrees with the "sparrow" rhyme said here.

And for the record, despite wonderful songs like "Mary Mack," I say that merry, marry, and Mary are all pronounced differently. Meh-ri, maa-ri (rhymes with "carry"), and May-ri.

This is a fascinating thread. :)

Padma

Oh man! TEAR-oh does *so* not rhyme with sparrow, where I come from! (Canada)

sparrow is pronounced as spa-rrow (spa as you would say I am going to the spa(h) to get my facial) rrow as in row row row your boat! :laugh:

Tear, on the other hand, is pronounced "tare" (rhymes with "dare") so yeah, totally different! :bugeyed:

kalliope

Wow, so do sparrow and narrow rhyme for you, Padma? And how does Pharaoh fit in? The "going to the spa" spa-rrow is new to me. Interesting!

I understand that French Canadians have quite different accents than those from France too, to make it all the more confusing, right? I'm glad to know that my attempts at Frenchified Lenormand are correct. (now that I think about it both the first and third syllables are emphasized more then the second.) :D

kalliope

I'm one of the 28 who voted for TEAR-oh, as being the closest to rhyming with "sparrow." I agree with what everyone who agrees with the "sparrow" rhyme said here.

And for the record, despite wonderful songs like "Mary Mack," I say that merry, marry, and Mary are all pronounced differently. Meh-ri, maa-ri (rhymes with "carry"), and May-ri.

This is a fascinating thread. :)

Where are you from Morwenna? (If it's in your profile, I can't see it in TapaTalk on my phone, sorry!) What's really funny is that before I learned to hear and say it his way, my husband would try saying what you just did: marry rhymes with carry. The problem is that in Ohio, carry rhymes with Mary and Merry and Harry and Terry, too!

As for May-ree for Mary, yeow! That's another new one! :)

Padma

Wow, so do sparrow and narrow rhyme for you, Padma? And how does Pharaoh fit in? The "going to the spa" spa-rrow is new to me. Interesting!

I understand that French Canadians have quite different accents than those from France too, to make it all the more confusing, right? I'm glad to know that my attempts at Frenchified Lenormand are correct. (now that I think about it both the first and third syllables are emphasized more then the second.) :D

Yes, they do rhyme for me, but that is because we use a long soft A :) so not "nare row" or "spare row" so narrow would be naahrow. So it rhymes with "spa-rrow" :laugh:

The French spoken in Quebec is colloquially spoken as they used to in France, 200 years ago, just as their ancestors spoke - it is quite archaic - but that is just in most of the outlying regions. In Montreal and Quebec City, they now attempt to speak as the French do in France (to make themselves more - cosmopolitan?)

Congrats on your pronunciation of Lenormand! :thumbsup:

celticnoodle

Although he was from Baltimore, Frank Zappa honed his articulation in Southern California, which is barely part of the US (or even of Earth :)), so I take his pronunciation accordingly.

But he is my personal hero, for a number of reasons, both social and medical.
I didn't know Frank was from Baltimore! Both of my parents are from there, and I was b. there, though raised in Southern MD, which has yet a different way of talking--compared to those from Baltimore. "Baldimur" is the way most from that city pronounce the name of their city, where as everyone else really pronounces that 't' like a 't' and the more ending is pronounced as 'more'. :D

lol

Baltimore and Southern California, I am convinced, both share an extraterrestrial ZIP code.
:laugh:

Yes, New England is strange. I once knew a guy from Maine who said "TAY-co" instead of "TAH-co" when talking about Mexican food.

:laugh: my husband is from MA, and his mother was born and raised in Boston. The first Christmas we spent with his parents, (and I had a very strong southern accent then), she asked me to go down to the basement and bring up some 'bowls'. I went down to her basement, couldn't find them. Came up and told her so. She sent me back down again--this continued a few more times--and finally, tired of convincing her there were NO bowls down there at the foot of the steps--I asked her to SPELL the word of what she wanted. She was telling me to go down and get the B-O-W-S. :rolleyes:

I had a very hard time understanding most of what my mil was saying. She was the typical Bostonian--who "pawked the caw in hawvad yawd" kind of speech. :eek:

My father in law was from WV. We never had any trouble understanding each other. He always told me that it took him years to understand what she was saying too, and when they first began dating, they always double dated so their companions could help them understand each other. :laugh:

A few years after moving to Vermont, I began to lose my accent, (or at least according to me and my family), though many of my neighbors in VT, still couldn't understand me when I spoke. :laugh: My husband swears I say words such as 'ham' as "ha-am". Even here in NY, where we live now, people will ask me where I come from--and when I tell them we moved here from Vermont, they are really surprised. ;)

I do notice though, after going home to visit, or if I visit with any of my relatives/friends on the phone for a period of time--I slip right back into that "Southern MD drawl". ha-am, dog with a long 'o', and 'get' is pronounced as "git". Our mothers sister is pronounced as "Ant Mary" not the typical "Aunt", which was/is a really hard thing for me to stop saying, much to the delight of my Northern nieces and nephews. :)

I've have missed a lot on this thread, and am laughing as I read from my first post on. This has been a fun thread so far and now I am (aam) off to read the rest of the posts....:)

celticnoodle

That's funny, Kalliope, all day yesterday I had the song "We'll all be merry when I marry Mary Mack" on my mind. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3sOA6yQc4A

merry, Mary, cherry
but: marry, carry, Harry

I'd be interested in hearing the difference between merry and Mary.
Well, for me, I think they are all pronounced and sound the same. :confused:

Well yes, my grandparents were from New Brunswick, Canada, and both said "Eye-talian" and "Ty-ota." She also said Porco Rican, but that's another story :)
My dad & fil also said, "Eye-talian", and they said, "gi-tar" (short 'i' as in 'it'), though my mother says "gee-tar", with the two 'ee's' pronounced long as in the word "Feed".

And, yes, I pronounce pharaoh like sparrow with a "f" sound.
me too! :)

We should all just be thankful the current name isn't "tarocchi." I couldn't begin to figure ouit how I would pronounce that.

I have to ask - why does this matter - except for taking the piss out of a certain video ? Has anyone EVER been in a situation where they didn't know what word was meant, when it was uttered ? AS with pharaoh - and do we now need a poll for that ?
exactly.

I pronouce it Ahh-wo. Both T's are silent, and the R is pronounced like Elmer Fudd says "be vewy quiet, I am hunting wabbits"

:joke:

kidding!

This is the US pronunciation as far as I'm concerned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_UytNIX-pU
its how I say it.

I ordered a croissant in a diner once and the server said "That's pronounced kwah-SOHN" and I looked at him and said, "Or is it pronounced no tip?" and he curled his lip and brought me my croissant :laugh:

*** I would never be that rude to a stranger, but I knew this guy and he was a jumped-up little snob who deserved it! And it was a DINER for godsake :p Also, I did tip him, I always tip well.
:thumbsup: good for you! :laugh: I hope you DIDN'T leave a full tip after that. little twerp! (pronounced 'twurp').

Oh man! TEAR-oh does *so* not rhyme with sparrow, where I come from! (Canada)
I forget what part of Canada you are from, Padma. I have Canadian relatives, from hubs side- and friends. Not sure how they say it. I'll have to pay more attention to the way they speak I guess. Many of his family from P.E.I. have a very strong accent--that sounds Scottish--which is typical there, and I'm fairly use to it now. :)

sparrow is pronounced as spa-rrow (spa as you would say I am going to the spa(h) to get my facial) rrow as in row row row your boat! :laugh:

Tear, on the other hand, is pronounced "tare" (rhymes with "dare") so yeah, totally different! :bugeyed:
I do pronounce tarot like sparrow and pharaoh all the same way. they sound alike. "tear" as in "tear this paper up" is also pronounced like the first syllable in tar ot. but, if you are talking about the crying 'tear', then it is pronounced like 'teer' and 'tier'. At least where I come from. :D

great thread!