How often should we do readings for people

RobMac

Once you do a reading for people and they like it, they want more. Is there a good rule of thumb as to the time between readings for people?

R.

moderndayruth

RobMac said:
Once you do a reading for people and they like it, they want more. Is there a good rule of thumb as to the time between readings for people?

R.
As a pro or just like that? Anyhow, too often is not good - i've heard some really respectable readers saying like once in 6 months or something;
i had to deal with couple of Tarot-junkies and it was rather unpleasant, people do get addicted and it all gets plain weird... Once in twenty days, or once in two months - unless there are some rapid changes; that's what i say to my sitters.

RobMac

Sounds reasonable to me. I figure for each subject - one for money, love, genera, health, etc. But only once every 3 to 6 months, like you said though, it would be different if there is drastic changes.

Thanks for the input!

Rob

Golden Moon

I read when the mood sets in. I can't read when I'm ill or upset. And also, on the person who I'm reading for.

NamasteIndia

I clearly tell people after reading for them that i have done the reading for next 6mths uptil 1year so there is nothing more left for them to know now.
they become totally dependable on us and take each and every decision based on the advice given by us

JSNYC

moderndayruth said:
As a pro or just like that? Anyhow, too often is not good - i've heard some really respectable readers saying like once in 6 months or something;
I can't really comment on the "professional" aspect, but only one spread in 6 months?!? I am not disagreeing with you because I certainly agree that too often is not good. But I also feel like one spread in 6 months is not nearly enough. I have read only a couple spreads for myself in the last 3 - 4 months due to the fact (as mentioned in Marina's thread) I have felt like it is time to "do" not "read". (I had to do my New Years spread! :) ) I have "received my answers", now it is time to put them to work. However, when I was reading for myself, I was reading a lot (granted, I was still quite new so some of it was a "learning experience").

My point is, when I read I often feel like the first spread just starts "defining the direction", "pointing the way" so to speak. Then additional spreads add further "detail". It is like a "conversation". I guess if the statement was changed to one topic (or broad, malleable question) over 6 months (for which multiple spreads could be drawn) I could readily agree. But just one spread over 6 months, or even 3 months sounds like not nearly enough. As a matter of fact, I think I would be opposed to reading only one spread, for myself or anyone else. I would want to keep reading to... further explore the issue. The real question may not even be known (and thus not asked) when the first spread is drawn.

Maybe reading style, the type of spreads drawn could affect this as well... As far as "Tarot-junkies", even once a year may be too much!

franniee

It all depends on what type of reading a person is having. When I read it is more like a coaching session - we discuss options and what the underlying factors behind things are etc.

If the reading is a look ahead for 3 or 6 months then so be it - you don't need another reading until something that was discussed comes up. I have had people come in for a general and then call me after whatever I saw comes up and then we go through options or project forward. But more often than not I have people call me up before a big meeting or event and ask me what they should know about this or that or this person's personality etc and those type of readings can be done all of the time.

If the question is the same and all of the factors have not changed there is no need to beat a dead horse......once every 6 months or so is fine.

There is no doubt that I have had addicted folks calling me incessantly asking for readings on the same subject over and over..... I have had to tell them enough.

moderndayruth

JSNYC said:
I can't really comment on the "professional" aspect, but only one spread in 6 months?!? I am not disagreeing with you because I certainly agree that too often is not good. But I also feel like one spread in 6 months is not nearly enough.
Oh, i think its absolutely fine to read even with only couple of days in between - if its different topics and given that you are reading for reasonable people;
my experience is that most of the folks ask more or less everything that is 'burning' in one session, so than they are ok for quite some time, unless something totally new and interesting occurs.
I say 2-6 months on major topics/issues and also if someone is repeatedly asking about the same thing that is not changing.
Example of first is someone who is having bad problems with their business - when people are freaking out - they hold to a reader for their lives; but that doesn't change the chances for their business - i had someone asking for readings DAILY, when what they needed to know was clear in the first session and there was no abrupt change for next half a year...
Second example is someone asking about ex with whom they broke up 10y ago, the ex has moved away, has their own family and had a restraint order issued against your sitter (real case, names withed of course)...
Now the sitter STILL wants readings about the ex, and as often as possible... these are the ones who are difficult to deal with to me, because usually their own friends, families absolutely don't want to hear about their issues... and they come to you again and again... :rolleyes:
That's when i say - two to six months.
Other than that - i like reading often for people who combine the info from the reading with the common sense and reasoning. ;)

franniee

and sometimes 6 months isn't long enough...... if the person doesn't progress or change any of the circumstances in their life the reading will be the same. They get frustrated but it isn't our fault.

Amanda

RobMac said:

R.

It depends I think. If they are asking you one very direct question, then I wouldn't see the harm in doing another very soon, or expand on that first question right after.

If I'm doing something like a CC spread for someone, I would say 1-3 months before another one.

I do 6 month forecasts for some people as well, but they never seem to be able to stay away for that long. LOL

There is one person I read for, that- no matter how right I've been and had things come through, she just didn't trust what I said. She has control issues. :p But she would keep coming back, at least once a week and have me read on various things, and still would not be open to what I was saying- not fully, otherwise she wouldn't come back so much, I don't think (and we are friends). I was getting very spent emotionally, and finally just told her that I didn't think she was really allowing me to help her, and that I couldn't do it anymore. Not like that. I just did a reading for her a week ago, but it's been about 2 months since I read for her before that. And I am cool with that pace.

So, if you start to feel "used" and "spent", it's time to lighten the load and space out the readings you do for someone... or stop doing them for that person altogether.