Icky feeling when potential Readers suss out your previous questions?

Maru

Wow, this thread is disheartening. I'm saddened; I love this forum and most of its members (sitters and readers, and 'discussers', alike). Segregating into "us" and "them" is a dangerous beginning. Many readers are also sitters, that's how it works. Some people do give a lot in 'readings for feedback' threads (I do also), and it's disappointing when people are discourteous or neglect to give feedback. There's an air of superiority among some posters here, however, and I wonder what the real motive for posting in a thread discussing something that doesn't even affect them is.

You bring up an interesting topic and I hope you don't mind I branch off from this as I've had interesting experiences in this area. I think a vast majority mean no real harm to be honest. Yes, you have people who take pride in their craft, but I think that having some pride in one's craft is a sign of well-earned experience and success, the bruises and wounds included. Some querents are advertising themselves "as-is", quirks and all, with the hopes that nobody will point out the flagrantly obvious and as such, feel they should be immune from certain types of feedback. This is not a helpful or healthy state of mind to be in to have on a learning forum. It's especially not helpful and hinders one's ability to pick up divination in a meaningful manner, I think... because divination is a process we have to be very heavily involved in in order to reap it's benefits.

Anyway this ALL reminds me of art school. Each class we had critiques. It was brutal as much as it was at times affirming. Of course, we had the students who refused to take feedback well, would say they were above the norm, that they had "reasons". They somehow exempt from certain feedback, because how dare we question their vision or their particular "intent". Some people call this "special snowflake status".

Yes, you had some students who were clearly artsnobs, had a great deal of confidence as they were the ones who have been doing it forever. However, they set the example because they took feedback really well and learned to use these environments to their benefit. They knew the importance of a thick skin. That put pressure on the students who weren't putting in enough effort to take the criticisms more seriously if they didn't like the feedback they received. Many hated their own work and thought it could be better, so it seemed rather odd they would have so much pushback. I think because outside of this environment, it's considered "rude" to bring up certain flaws in other people's work... but this is the only way you will grow is by seeking this type of feedback. This is the purpose of critiques. To use other people's eyes and feedback to look at the work in a different way and maybe even consider making changes that would be beneficial to the craft.

Some people were more nasty about it than others. They really took it farther by basically wishing, hoping and praying the best student would either fall dead or get a bad review every single sitting. It pissed them off. As if it would "redeem" their own failures. To me this is a worse attitude and it always totally reflected in their work. You could see the resistence, the overthinking, the not taking a step back in their mistakes. Eventually they saw that others around them were improving substantially and they weren't getting much better, so they either swalloed their pride and put the effort in, or they continued to get low marks because they weren't taking it seriously enough. This is what I think of when I read this thread, this "picking and choosing" of advice... this isn't real life, though society teaches us that it is unacceptable to give unwanted feedback. The same way we're supposed to be mind-readers in critique and somehow determine the original artist's intents, to not "misplace" our criticism. It's asking too much because that's exactly why we have critique and also why we ask questions during criticism, to determine their intent and ask them if they considered another possibility to helping the piece to be more successful.

There is one example that stays with me forever. We had a student who drew stick figures on a flat line picture plane throughout the entire art program. Several years went by and they never got better. Not even a real attempt to draw what they see. They were like first grader pictures in 2D. This was in college but because it was so flagrantly obvious why the person was not improving, nobody would /dare/ give them a terrible critique because the critique would've been so obvious. They weren't even trying. I imagine many asked themselves why that person was even there since they didn't contribute or put in effort, but it was unnecessary to point out from most people's perspective.

At the end of my program, she was in my painting class and this professor, though certainly a little blunt in his teaching methods--was the only person in my entire program to be like... "Hey you're missing color, value, line weight, perspective, composition... what the hell are you doing here if you're not putting in any real effort?". They were grilled, but I wouldn't say in the worst manner than any other individual who gone through the program. This young woman took it very badly, basically said "how dare you single me out! You're a bully", etc... she wanted to go to an expensive art school, which is not a light thing. Many people go into serious debt going in, to the tune of $100,000 + interest. I don't know what their thought process was, how they thought they would get in without a portfolio, or even why it would be a good financial decision. They had no feedback for my professor really, but they spent a good while talking about how insulted they were. She said she did spend 8 hours drawing a few lines which was balony, as there was barely any drawing/painting medium used. There is a prerequisite to how much time to put in which factors into the final grade and will matter come portfolio assessment. It just didn't understand why they would outright lie. What real benefit was there to preserving your ego if it didn't help you to get into the program you wanted to apply for?

The art itself wasn't particularly bad, I rather like the first grader aesthetic (lol), but that it was an insult to the other students who were being taken apart during critique in that environment. That's also why sometimes I think it's better to just point out the obvious. The professor dropped it after they got the "student accomodations" people involved. Not sure if they went into art school or not, but I hope to God for their sake, they did not get in. Art school debt can be rather crippling as paying them back is the equivalent of a mortgage.

I particularly worry about people who engage in fantasy-style thinking from a mental health perspective. I'm close to this issue myself, as my mother is severely disabled physically, but likely also mentally and refuses to receive treatment due to mental health stigma. As such I think these conversations /need/ to be destigmatized. I think better to have received it from someone who at least is taking the time to share their thought processes, even if they just say they mean well, even if they are partially going "mm-MM look at me", but at least they're not letting you hang yourself out to dry... it's not really the point of whether or not they felt "good" to give you advice, as I'm sure we all feel quite good when some of our critiques/interpretations hit home. That's the reaffirming aspect of a critique/learning forum.

Anyway this environment, many forums in general, are setup for the purposes of reciprocal feedback. So most see it as acceptable to give constructive feedback and I think rather rude to put a stigma on this type of critique. To go through the process of blantantly oversharing, asking for a million readings on the same topic(s) and exposing personal life details in the process. Seems rather counter-intuitive to not expect that feedback on these matters would not be reciprocal... in the case of my field, it's a death sentence to ignore criticism. Divination is very similar to analyzing the personal works of other individuals. There is a great deal of ourselves that we put into it, and as such, we may sometimes be blind to some of the more subtler aspects of a reading (or readings). This is where I think most people are coming from when they offer their "take" on a situation...

TDLR: What makes that situation is how /we/ respond to the feedback, not whether other people are trying to "one up" us. We all learn from these exchanges and developments, not just the person who received/gave the criticism, but all those reading and watching... I think to discourage this is in any way, shape or form is harmful to the thought process of a learning forum.

G6

Thank you for saying that. And to G6 - as I said earlier - only the other day I wanted to find a post Lee had made about the Marteau deck - and yes if I had known when I started looking that that was the specific TdM I could have found it from thread titles - but I only remembered it was about a TdM. It I hadn't been able to search his posts I would have been decidedly peeved.

What she said :)

I see how it's useful for you Gregory. There are practical benefits.

earthair

Personally I get an icky feeling when sitters ask the same question over and over because the subtext of what they are really saying is 'I don't believe what you said last time' or 'I know better than you do/or the cards do but I'm waiting for someone to agree with me'. It's a little insulting to readers who have given their time for free!

When starting out, having real life sitters to practice on can be a gift. But when a reader is experienced, then the gift is from reader to sitter.

rwcarter

When I have offered readings for feedback in the Exchange area, I explicitly state in my opening post that if you ask me to read for you, I will look through your recent posting history to make sure you haven't had any other readings on that topic in X period of time. So anyone who doesn't want to be "stalked" knows up front what I'm going to do and they can choose to not ask for a reading from me.

As for the thought that the sitter is doing me a favor by letting me read for them, that thought is so laughable as to almost not warrant a response. I don't know what the sitter to reader ratio is in REx, but I'm pretty sure sitters outnumber readers by at least a 100%. I've never had problems getting sitters. When I've glanced at threads in REx, usually the readers have to turn people away. So anyone who thinks they're doing me a favor by allowing me to read for them, please do us both a favor and don't allow me that honor....

Rodney

Alta

Moderator note

One post removed. I realize that this topic is generating some fairly strong feelings, but please keep it more or less general and try not to make pointed comments about other members.

Alta

Holly doll

Wow! Reading through this thread really crystalised a few things for me. There's so much projection at first...I'm sad for Bonny to have had such a bad experience... But for me - this was like a drive-by energy dump, rather than a discussion...It's taken me a while to calm down & respond.

I've looked through the REx threads & chosen not to participate in any exchanges; but I will respond to her OP - I don't view scrolling through previous readings of a sitter as "stalking" - that's such an emotive & triggering term - when I do it I use it as research; not so I can see which questions the sitter asks - but so I can see the readers interp. on the card from a different perspective & write it up in my study journal - TdM v Rider Waite v Thoth etc..

The sitter providing a reader with the "Gift" of their question implies the reader MUST do things the way the sitter demands. All we can do is what we do & how we do - when we know better we do better - any sitter demanding things be done a certain way IMHO is attempting to control the readers process. That to me is a boundary violation. The reader should be respectful of any prospective sitters & their questions, but a no is a no if the reader doesn't want to work with them.

The reader is also giving the "Gift" of their knowledge to the sitter & need to be treated respectfully, rather than ignored or given neg. feedback because they don't answer in the manner the sitter expects. Or be the brunt of any sitters anger or projections; there is a major difference between critique & criticism...

The REx is just that - an exchange - which should be equal - as both reader & sitter are getting something from the interaction, & boundaries need to be in place & respected; if the answer is no - it's no - no put downs, no power plays.

I've worked for many years both as a paid reader privately & on a phone line - the most sad thing is getting appt. requests, or phone calls from clients stuck on the same topic - refusing the answer they've had multiple times before, & hoping another reader will give a different answer; or this time I will answer differently. I find them very draining & avoid them where I can; to the point of quitting the phone line because of the expectations from sitters that I will answer the same questions asked in the same sequence multiple times in a week - it's an unhealthy exchange for both of us. I've had clients hang up mid sentence when I've given an answer they don't like. I've asked clients to leave private appts. when they have argued rudely when the answers given do not suit their expectations; & I get told I wouldn't have a clue what I'm doing.

Being in an exchange should not mean that one holds power over the other - the moment that happens then it isn't an exchange; but a power trip...

Peace to all )o(

DownUnderNZer

Will put this in a less direct way...

If as a reader or sitter you feel that it is a "gift" for a reader to be reading you and that readers should be reading even if they choose not to then kindly return the favor by walking your talk. For example, if you open a thread offering to read for others and don't - is that not in the same line as a reader not reading because s/he chooses not to etc.

It doesn't just go one way.

DND :)

CrystalSeas

Glad this got some people talking - it may have raised some awareness.

Over a thousand posts in less that 24 hours.

Not exactly.

This post I'm making right now is only #128. Your post was post #55. You can tell by looking at the little number in the lower right corner of the post.

Grizabella

AT is a huge cyber college for those who divine, whether it's Tarot or other methods of divination. It's free for the most part, and if full access to the forum is desired, it's for a very nominal, low fee. The design for the Reading Exchange is that people can workshop readings by giving and taking. For all people who work, learn and study here, it's a gift---to everyone.

I had some trouble fitting in how I'm getting a gift if I'm allowed to read for someone, but I guess in some circumstances it might be seen that way. Sitters do sit for the people participating there so we can perfect our craft or master a deck that's difficult, try out new spreads, etc. But there are so many people who come here and use that sub-forum as a way to get readings that aren't paid readings that sometimes it's easy to think the readers are giving the greater gift. I see many people who just come here, refuse to keep up with their feedback, get readings till the mods are fed up, then they get banned and try to come back under other ID names. I try to keep a non-judgmental mind about that sort of thing, but it does bother me sometimes.

gregory

Not exactly.

This post I'm making right now is only #128. Your post was post #55. You can tell by looking at the little number in the lower right corner of the post.
To be fair (because I do try to be so occasionally) I think she MEANT views....