If someone were to make a deck just for you, what system would you want?

If someone were to make a deck just for you, what system would you want?

• Total voters

Medvsa

Another for the Marseille over here :) I think I'd want some blasphemous mashup of all my favorite cards from various TdMs (including the semi-TdMs like the Vieville and Paris), somehow made homogeneous. And on Flornoy cardstock.

WolfyJames

yirabeth said:
Someone DID make a tarot deck just for me -- it's called the Shadowscapes!! *giggle* Okay she didn't do it for ME..but it's sooo MINE :)

LOL! I kind of feel that way but with the Tarot of Vampyres. I've always been into gothic stuff, vampire stuff, the romantic period, and so far the decks I've seen about vampires do not please me. And while there are gothic decks I totally love like the Bohemian Gothic Tarot or the Gothic Tarot who stand undefeated in the gothic department decks, no vampire decks so far has amazed me. So yeah, while the artist behind the Tarot of Vampyres didn't do it for me it does feel this way, it's got everything I ever wanted in a vampire deck. I'm totally drooling.

WalesWoman

Funny, I chose RWS, because it's what I'm most familiar with and have that system ingrained in my brain... but catch myself saying... not another RWS clone/style deck, how many do we need?

Evidently a lot, judging from the number of decks in my ever growing tarot stash.

SunChariot

I said the last one, I'd like a deck unlike any I have ever seen before. I love originality in a deck. My favourite is currently my A King's Journey Tarot, has a 5th suit to the Minors: the suit of Spirit. As soon as I saw that I was like "Why don't ALL decks have that???" Also has two extra cards to the Majors which meshes perfectly with my reversals style. It's was like the deck WAS created for me. :grin:

Babs

Le Fanu

Every time I see this thread I think "I have no idea". Seriously. I couldn't specify one system without knowing the deck, but it's chicken and egg. I love reading with the Thoth most but I don't think I'd specify Thoth as all Thoth-style decks end up being inferior to the Thoth, and make you go running back to the Thoth, so why would I want a deck, a deck just for me, to be inferior?

The RWS-based decks can be more likeable than Thoth-based ones, but feel more limiting to me as a reader.

Marseilles decks have to be old. I don't go for updated Marseilles for the modern world.

And Etteilla's (and other) just too out there for me...

And "No system at all" is always a good idea "in theory". But not always practice.

I really have no idea. Haven't voted yet.

WyrdRaven

I have experienced such a surfeit of RWS meanings over time that I am craving something Thothlike. With dreamlike, eerie imagery and interpretations that cut to the bone.

Morwenna

Interesting! RWS has the most votes but the fewest advocates who've posted a message in this thread. Well, count me! I learned on RWS and I think RWS and most of my collection is RWS and every time I envision a deck using some media or popular culture or literary icons, it's RWS that I use as a touchstone.

So there. :p

Babalon Jones

I learned on RWS too, and on some level still love it, but if it makes any sense, grew out of it. It is like listening to the same music for 30 years! Gets boring after a while.

Laura Borealis

Another Marseilles vote.

I'm actually trying to do my own, also. And like Medvsa said, it will be something of a mashup. Hopefully with pips that are easier to interpret. I've been working through Ayumi's and Melanchollic's threads, though slowly.

Rovay

Marseilles all the way! ...why is it on the voting bottom? :O