I'm Just Curious...

Bhavana

Seems that those who believe in the inherent evil of the cards are usually hard core christians. Some religious people I know will say things like "Well, if I want to know what is going to happen in the future, or reflect on my life, I just pray to Jesus" or something like that. And that's all fine and dandy, whatever blows your skirt up, I say.

Yeah, the cards are just paper - but I do believe that any tool can be used in a bad way, and it is the intention of the person using the tool that is the issue, not the tool itself. Whether someone has the power to make something bad (or good) happen to another person, I don't know - but I tend to think not really. (Though I am sure there are a lot of people who would like to believe they have that kind of power)

I am more afraid and creeped out by dolls, or clowns, than I am of tarot cards.

Richard

Seems that those who believe in the inherent evil of the cards are usually hard core christians. Some religious people I know will say things like "Well, if I want to know what is going to happen in the future, or reflect on my life, I just pray to Jesus" or something like that. And that's all fine and dandy, whatever blows your skirt up, I say.......
LOL! Good point, Bhavana!

There are "Christians" and there are Christians. I fancy that I am of the latter variety, but few others seem to think so, so I'm not sure, not that I care. }) If I'm bound for hell, then my only conclusion would be that the world is a thoroughly rotten concept by some idiotic creator deity somewhere.

tarotbear

Evil is as Evil does ...

Yes (and I agree with the cards being paper and ink, and Ouija Boards being wood and a planchette), and somehow I also believe that if used with bad intentions....bad things can happen....???

IMHO, an inanimate object cannot be evil in of itself; it would be it's use with 'bad intentions.' I will take two unrelated innocuous objects ... let's say a '57 Chevy and a wine corkscrew. Neither of them has an 'evil' intent; the '57 Chevy is classy transportation, and the corkscrew opens bottles to let the contents out. But if someone were to mount 100s of corkscrews on the front of the '57 Chevy and someone drive it down the sidewalk of a crowded avenue at high speed many people would be hurt, maimed, or killed. You can't arrest the Chevrolet Corporation or the maker of the corkscrews - they made a wholesome object for a specific purpose. The Person who welded them onto the Chevy might have been creating a piece of artwork and can't be faulted, either. But the person who sped that car down a crowded sidewalk? Evil intentions leading to evil events.

SagiChar

Bhavana said:
I am more afraid and creeped out by dolls, or clowns, than I am of tarot cards.

Clowns creep me out too...you're not the only one alone there...!!!

SagiChar

tarotbear said:
IMHO, an inanimate object cannot be evil in of itself; it would be it's use with 'bad intentions.' I will take two unrelated innocuous objects ... let's say a '57 Chevy and a wine corkscrew. Neither of them has an 'evil' intent; the '57 Chevy is classy transportation, and the corkscrew opens bottles to let the contents out. But if someone were to mount 100s of corkscrews on the front of the '57 Chevy and someone drive it down the sidewalk of a crowded avenue at high speed many people would be hurt, maimed, or killed. You can't arrest the Chevrolet Corporation or the maker of the corkscrews - they made a wholesome object for a specific purpose. The Person who welded them onto the Chevy might have been creating a piece of artwork and can't be faulted, either. But the person who sped that car down a crowded sidewalk? Evil intentions leading to evil events.

YES...YES...and more YES!! Agreed...just like guns...guns don't kill...people WITH the guns do...(don't ask me why I thought of guns...but the '57 Chevy analogy just got me thinking of that as well...) Good point...evil intentions DO lead to evil events...no doubt!!!

Aurora369

Clowns creep me out too...you're not the only one alone there...!!!

I guess that makes three of us. They have always creeped me out and then, of course, out came that movie IT by Stephen King with the clown. That really did it for me.

Richard

I think that the sacriligious person who welded the corkscrews onto the '57 Chevy should be executed! :mad:

SagiChar

Aurora369 said:
I guess that makes three of us. They have always creeped me out and then, of course, out came that movie IT by Stephen King with the clown. That really did it for me.

Well, there's nothing wrong with us admitting that we all have a problem...isn't that the first step??? HA HA!!!

spinnachie

My mother (being the devoted Catholic that she is) has always thought of Tarot and any form of divination to be the "work of the devil" and growing up if I were to ever mention it she would freak out at me and say "stay away from that stuff it's EVIL!!!"...well recently I decided to tell her that I do readings, meditations, reiki healing etc...and again she began with the whole "stay away" speach...and I stopped her before she could even get going, and said "Mom...It's nothing scary or spooky, I don't do witchcraft, It's simply me finding a spiritual path, communicating with my guides, and reading a story that unfolds with the cards laid out. There is nothing magical about it. If someone comes to me with a problem, and I can help shine some light on a matter, then I have done a good thing."

Suddenly my mother's expression changed...and she said.."can you read for me?"
I was nearly floored!! :)

tarotbear

I think that the sacriligious person who welded the corkscrews onto the '57 Chevy should be executed! :mad:

I was going to substitute a Chevy Vega ... but they started rusting in the showrooms, so there aren't any left out there ....