I'm Just Curious...

Disa

I think that the Law of Attraction could be at work here. If you believe a tarot deck or Ouija Board is going to attract bad spirits, then it might. But it isn't the hardware (the board or the deck) doing the attracting, it's the user. IMO

I believe this to be the case, as well. My mother gave me a Ouija board for Christmas one year when I was about 10. My friends and I used it quite often from age 10 to age 18, at which time I never wanted to see it again(for reasons that had nothing to do with the board itself, but everything to do with me and my feelings towards a friend who killed himself when he was just 16..anyway..his experience in life was nothing to do with the board.)

We never had any bad experiences. I never saw anything "evil". In all my life in dealing with what I thought were spirits from the age of 10, I've not seen anything evil...but I never expected to.

I described a few years ago the instance of a Baptist friend who reacted in a way I felt was horrible as related to the cards. I am sure she was coming from a place of fear and misunderstanding, yet to this day we do not speak...it was that bad. I am still a bit heart sick over it all.

What was the original poster's question? I've lost track- something to do with your friend's bad experiences being related to tarot and Ouija boards- I feel she, too may be coming from a place of fear and misunderstanding. If one expects awful things, one will manifest awful things. You may not be able to change her mind, you may lose a friend- I hope not, it sucks. Do what you can when you can to dispel the fear, but realize she may never understand your side of it- it's too scary for her.

I wish you all the best.

SagiChar

Disa said:
I described a few years ago the instance of a Baptist friend who reacted in a way I felt was horrible as related to the cards. I am sure she was coming from a place of fear and misunderstanding, yet to this day we do not speak...it was that bad. I am still a bit heart sick over it all.

I can understand why your heart aches over this...I'm sorry to hear that...

Disa said:
What was the original poster's question? I've lost track- something to do with your friend's bad experiences being related to tarot and Ouija boards- I feel she, too may be coming from a place of fear and misunderstanding. If one expects awful things, one will manifest awful things. You may not be able to change her mind, you may lose a friend- I hope not, it sucks. Do what you can when you can to dispel the fear, but realize she may never understand your side of it- it's too scary for her.

I wish you all the best.

Well, my original post wasn't exactly that,, but you got the main idea...and she may be coming from a place of fear and misunderstanding. I'm not sure if she was expecting bad or awful things to happen (she's normally not that type of person), but...I do think that she sometimes could possibly make more of out of something than there really is...if you know what I mean??

I'm hopeful that I haven't lost a friend...but, time will tell, it's baseball season...the time I usually see her...so I'll know RIGHT away the first time we meet eyes.....

And thank you for your reply and best wishes...

Disa

I went back to read the original post. Your friend Blames the experiences of her life on tarot, Tarot is the scapegoat. She found religion to help her deal with the evils of it all. People who believe tarot is evil probably do need the church...because they need someone or something to blame...the devil made them do it. It's so hard to rationalize with their ideas of it all. It's easier to point a finger at the devil and say it's all "HIS" fault. Then no one has to take responsibility for their actions or for their part in the mess that has been created through no fault of the tarot, or the board. It goes against the bible is reason enough for them. The end. I know all people who go to church are not this unreasonable, but the ones I have come across are. I have learned that trying to educate, or argue, or just have a general discussion is futile- I can never win, so I don't try anymore. For the sake of your friendship I hope you can come to a middle ground. I just think in order to do so, you'll have to do a lot more bending than she ever will do.

SagiChar

Disa said:
because they need someone or something to blame...the devil made them do it. It's so hard to rationalize with their ideas of it all. It's easier to point a finger at the devil and say it's all "HIS" fault. Then no one has to take responsibility for their actions or for their part in the mess that has been created through no fault of the tarot, or the board.

I think you hit on something there...that makes alot of sense in this situation...pointing a finger at the devil and saying its his fault...hmmm...I'd have to agree with you here on this point...you may have something..

Disa said:
For the sake of your friendship I hope you can come to a middle ground. I just think in order to do so, you'll have to do a lot more bending than she ever will do.

I'm honestly not TOO worried about our friendship, we've been long time friends, and really, only see each other a few times a year...I'd hate to lose a friend over tarot...but, if that's how it turns out, I will understand that it is due to her fear and misunderstanding...

SagiChar

An Update...

I saw my friend today at a ballgame...and I knew in her eyes...all was okay. We had a nice conversation and she wants to keep in touch...so, no friendship lost...I'm happy for that! :thumbsup:

Disa

I'm happy for that, too :)

SagiChar

Thank you Disa!!!

WakaWakaEhEh

Now that you mention this, I realized that the people who were standoffish about tarot and oracle cards, almost always ended up being the same people who needed the most readings from me. o_o. I have a friend who is always trying to debunk tarot/oracle and yet she is always needing a reading compared to those who do believe.. weird..but its something I've noticed when I read for others.

canid

Yup, it's all in the Eye of the Beholder ie the Law of Attraction. For the Bible Thumpers I run across in my life, I keep this list of scripture in my purse that is PRO divination. If you really do your homework, the only leg to stand on is 'Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.' Yet the word 'witch' was translated into English from Hebrew & the original Hebrew word 'chafeth' meant 'poisoner' - that passage in context was referring to the fact that at that time in history women were poisoning people. So it should read 'Thou shalt not suffer a poisoner to live.' So very many purposeful & accidental mistranslations into English...

Genesis 44:4-5 4 - When they had gone out of the city, and were not yet far off, Joseph said to his steward, “Get up, follow the men; and when you overtake them, say to them, ‘Why have you repaid evil for good? 5 Is not this the one from which my lord drinks, and with which he indeed practices divination? You have done evil in so doing.’”
44-15:(On being brought to Joseph, who says:) Joseph said to them, "What deed is this that you have done ? Do you not know that such a man as I can indeed divine ?
Exodus 28:30 - And you shall put in the breastplate of judgment the Urim and the Thummim, and they shall be over Aaron’s heart when he goes in before the Lord. So Aaron shall bear the judgment of the children of Israel over his heart before the Lord continually.
Leviticus 16:8 – 10 8 - Then Aaron shall cast lots for the two goats: one lot for the Lord and the other lot for the scapegoat. 9 And Aaron shall bring the goat on which the Lord’s lot fell, and offer it as a sin offering. 10 But the goat on which the lot fell to be the scapegoat shall be presented alive before the Lord, to make atonement upon it, and to let it go as the scapegoat into the wilderness.
Numbers 26:55 - But the land shall be divided by lot; they shall inherit according to the names of the tribes of their fathers.
Numbers 26:56 - According to the lot their inheritance shall be divided between the larger and the smaller.”
Numbers 27:21 - He shall stand before Eleazar the priest, who shall inquire before the Lord for him by the judgment of the Urim. At his word they shall go out, and at his word they shall come in, he and all the children of Israel with him --all the congregation.
Deuteronomy 33:8 - And of Levi he said: “Let Your Thummim and Your Urim be with Your holy one, Whom You tested at Massah, And with whom You contended at the waters of Meribah.”
Joshua 14:2 - Their inheritance was by lot, as the Lord had commanded by the hand of Moses, for the nine tribes and the half-tribe.
Joshua 18:6 - You shall therefore survey the land in seven parts and bring the survey here to me, that I may cast lots for you here before the Lord our God.
Joshua 18:8 - Then the men arose to go away; and Joshua charged those who went to survey the land, saying, “Go, walk through the land, survey it, and come back to me, that I may cast lots for you here before the Lord in Shiloh.”
Joshua 18:10 - Then Joshua cast lots for them in Shiloh before the Lord, and there Joshua divided the land to the children of Israel according to their divisions.
Judges 6:36-40 36 - So Gideon said to God, “If You will save Israel by my hand as You have said -- 37 look, I shall put a fleece of wool on the threshing floor; if there is dew on the fleece only, and it is dry on all the ground, then I shall know that You will save Israel by my hand, as You have said.” 38 And it was so. When he rose early the next morning and squeezed the fleece together, he wrung the dew out of the fleece, a bowlful of water. 39 Then Gideon said to God, “Do not be angry with me, but let me speak just once more: Let me test, I pray, just once more with the fleece; let it now be dry only on the fleece, but on all the ground let there be dew.” 40 And God did so that night. It was dry on the fleece only, but there was dew on all the ground.
1 Samuel 14:8-10 8 - Then Jonathan said, “Very well, let us cross over to these men, and we will show ourselves to them. 9 If they say thus to us, ‘Wait until we come to you,’ then we will stand still in our place and not go up to them. 10 But if they say thus, ‘Come up to us,’ then we will go up. For the Lord has delivered them into our hand, and this will be a sign to us.”
1 Samuel 14: 42 - And Saul said, “Cast lots between my son Jonathan and me.” So Jonathan was taken.
1 Chronicles 24:31 - These also cast lots just as their brothers the sons of Aaron did, in the presence of King David, Zadok, Ahimelech, and the heads of the fathers’ houses of the priests and Levites. The chief fathers did just as their younger brethren.
1 Chronicles 25:8 - And they cast lots for their duty, the small as well as the great, the teacher with the student.
1 Chronicles 26:13-14 – 13 And they cast lots for each gate, the small as well as the great, according to their father’s house. 14 The lot for the East Gate fell to Shelemiah. Then they cast lots for his son Zechariah, a wise counselor, and his lot came out for the North Gate.
Nehemiah 10:34 - We cast lots among the priests, the Levites, and the people, for bringing the wood offering into the house of our God, according to our fathers’ houses, at the appointed times year by year, to burn on the altar of the Lord our God as it is written in the Law.
Nehemiah 11:1 - Now the leaders of the people dwelt at Jerusalem; the rest of the people cast lots to bring one out of ten to dwell in Jerusalem, the holy city, and nine-tenths were to dwell in other cities.
Psalms 22:18 - They divide My garments among them, And for My clothing they cast lots.
Proverbs 16:33 - The lot is cast into the lap, But its every decision is from the Lord.
Proverbs 18:18 - Casting lots causes contentions to cease, And keeps the mighty apart.
Obadiah 1:11 - In the day that you stood on the other side -- In the day that strangers carried captive his forces, When foreigners entered his gates And cast lots for Jerusalem -- Even you were as one of them.
Jonah 1:7 - And they said to one another, “Come, let us cast lots, that we may know for whose cause this trouble has come upon us.” So they cast lots, and the lot fell on Jonah.
Matthew 27:35 - Then they crucified Him, and divided His garments, casting lots, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet: “They divided My garments among them, And for My clothing they cast lots.”
Mark 15:24 - And when they crucified Him, they divided His garments, casting lots for them to determine what every man should take.
Luke 23:34 - Then Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do.” And they divided His garments and cast lots.
John 19:24 - They said therefore among themselves, “Let us not tear it, but cast lots for it, whose it shall be,” that the Scripture might be fulfilled which says: “They divided My garments among them, And for My clothing they cast lots.” Therefore the soldiers did these things.
Acts 1:26 - And they cast their lots, and the lot fell on Matthias. And he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

SagiChar

WakaWakaEhEh said:
pNow that you mention this, I realized that the people who were standoffish about tarot and oracle cards, almost always ended up being the same people who needed the most readings from me. o_o. I have a friend who is always trying to debunk tarot/oracle and yet she is always needing a reading compared to those who do believe.. weird..but its something I've noticed when I read for others.

That's very interesting! I've not come across that yet (but I'm still in the baby phases)...but, I will keep an eye out...hmmm....