I'm rolling!!

morticia monroe

My man bought me a rock tumbler for Christmas and I'm so excited with it, I just got my first batch started.... I ordered some rough stones from a website and they came yesterday. There were a few pieces of amethyst and smoky quartz and a piece of turquoise that were beautiful just as is, so I kept them as they were. With the others, I filled the tumbler about half up and added the grit and water.....and we're off!
I have to say that although the tumbler makes SOME noise, it's not nearly as loud as I expected. I've got it sitting in the computer room.
Now if the clock will just speed up. The waiting is going to be the hard part. I can't wait to see them, and I'll post them in a few weeks when they're finished.

HearthCricket

I am dying to see them! So, not so bad with the noise? I would love to try this. But put it in the cellar, thus waiting until summer when it is warmer out. Seriously, though....is it really 2 weeks of steady tumbling? What happens if you lose electricity from a storm for hours or even a day? Ruined? :(

morticia monroe

According to the instructions, HC, you fill the barrel about half full, and some coarse grit and enough water to just cover the rocks. Then you put them on the roller and let them go for a week.

Step 2 is rinsing off the rocks and washing out the tumbler, then putting them back in the tumbler with MORE grit that is not quite as coarse, more water, and let them roll for another week..

Step 3, rinse the rocks and wash out the barrel again, put the rocks back in with a pre-polish (it's a powder), and tumble again for 3 days.

Step 4, rinse again, add with final polish powder and tumble for another 7 days.

Step 5, rinse and put the stones into the barrel with some powdered detergent and water and tumble overnight.

Rinse and admire.

Oh, gosh, looks like this will be almost a month long process... But OK, the time will pass.

As tedious as it may sound, it takes very little work, just lots of time. As one who has always picked up pretty rocks here and there, this is something I'm really going to enjoy.

I don't think any type of outage would hurt in any way. It's just a matter of wearing down the stones, so you can stop and start as you like, it just would take longer if you turned it off and on.

My main reason for wanting the tumbler was to do something with all these imperfect quartz crystal chunks I've got. I'd really love to pass them along to all of you, so I'm waiting to see how they come out. I have definitely got more than I need. Here's hoping.

Briar Rose

yeah, I always wanted one of those machines. There's the gem and mineral shows where you can by all the loose stones to tumble at a great price.

Then there's the stones you find outside when you're walking, and now you can see what they look like polished.

I love minerals so much. I am wondering if certain ones tumble better together just by the way they are shaped?

Also, I am thinking you can wire wrap them into pendulums.

I am having a pendulum day.

WhiteBirchWoman

Tumbled stones?

I'm curious---what is the purpose of tumbling your rocks?

Is there any purpose beyond the visual aesthetic? I _like_ tumbled rocks, so it's not that I don't see any reason for it. (I like rocks any way I can get 'em, actually). I just wondered if tumbled rocks serve a better or different purpose for you than in their rough state.

Also, does tumbling rocks prepare them for ritual use, whether as active tools in magic or just in being used for various purposes? (by the latter, I mean something like this: in addition to wrapping my tarot decks in black cloth, I perch black quartz on top of them, but without having done anything to the crystal beforehand and with no sort of protection ritiual).

HearthCricket

I like putting certain tumbled/polished rocks in bags with my tarot decks. The fact that they are not rough or sharp means the cards are not going to get scratched up. I also like the feel of them in my pocket or hand, especially as a worry stone or so they don't snag at my clothes. I think they serve more than just a nice look.

Well, MM...you might just have to go into business and sell us some of those future beauties!!! :)

Sonic

Can't wait to see them! My tumbler is still being shipped. So by the time yours are done I'll be getting my machine and starting a new batch. Hope you took before and after pictures!

Can you believe the world has come to this... women paying for rocks when we could be buying shoes :eek:

memries

I always wanted one of those machines as well. The child versions don't work that well and the adult versions are fairly expensive but it sure sounds like a lot of interesting specimens will evolve. I am wondering do the stones have to be of a similar size ? Or does that not matter ?

morticia monroe

Great questions, White Birch Woman.

I have loved beautiful rocks since I was a child, and pieces of nature. Feathers, interesting leaves, driftwood, etc. I was raised as a non-denominational Christian in a household with a father who is a 4th generation Texan and mother who is of Blackfoot Indian descent. Although my maternal grandmother practiced many of her Native American rituals, it is something that I am totally and completely unfamiliar with.

I actually have a preference for stones in the rough. They just seem more natural and perfect to me, but I have found that many stones that just look like "grey rocks" become beautiful when tumbled and polished.

I am TOTALLY a newbie at studying crystals, stones, their properties, and their uses, and I am learning as I go along by reading your (my fellow AT members') posts, and finding what I can in books and on the net. But I BELIEVE in it. No one ever taught me, but I FEEL it. It's hard to explain, but I just KNOW that Mother Earth's beautiful treasures are meant for, and useful for, so much more than just to look at. I'm sure many of you understand.

I'd rather have a quartz crystal than a diamond any day of the week, and the men in my life have never failed to be amazed that I'd rather have a copper bracelet than a ruby ring. :)

So I'm thrilled with my little rock tumbler, excited to see what treasure it shows me.

As for selling those little pieces,,no way! I'd rather give than sell. Once I get those quartz pieces tumbled, they will be passed out among all of you who'd like them. I'm just hoping they turn out nice.

morticia monroe

Sonic said:
Can you believe the world has come to this... women paying for rocks when we could be buying shoes :eek:

Not a shoe girl, I stomp around in my boots usually, but don't even get me started on handbags.