Intensive Deck Study Support Lounge - Part V

ncefafn

Hey, guys, I'm back for a moment with a question:

Can I do an IDS with one deck, while fooling around (reading for others) with other decks? Sort of think of it as an "open marriage." Is that kosher?

yirabeth

Generally speaking, An IDS is an intensive study of your determining of one deck -- sometimes supplemented by an oracle, or a second deck if the first is TOO personal and they want to be able to read for others, or if they fit together in a specific way that enhances their study (ie, Greenwood, and celtic animal oracle I think is the name...)

Perhaps what you're looking for is a PDR? From what I understand, they have a "primary" deck with others on the side, somewhat like what I imagine you're meaning :)

~Yira

zan_chan

Little Hare said:
Please sign me up to this.

Done! But I'm intrigued... can you tell us more about the Circle of Life? (Besides that it's when Simba was born... :p ) What about it makes you feel like you're getting such a fresh start? Thanks!

zan_chan

ncefafn said:
Can I do an IDS with one deck, while fooling around (reading for others) with other decks? Sort of think of it as an "open marriage." Is that kosher?

Hmm, I may have to agree with Yira on that one. I think that fooling around with other decks is kosher in the same way that my grandmother kept kosher when anyone was watching but could literally eat a 3 pound Christmas ham by herself when no one was around ;)

Tell us more. What's the deck? Why the desire for a study?

ncefafn

zan_chan said:
Hmm, I may have to agree with Yira on that one. I think that fooling around with other decks is kosher in the same way that my grandmother kept kosher when anyone was watching but could literally eat a 3 pound Christmas ham by herself when no one was around ;)

Tell us more. What's the deck? Why the desire for a study?

The deck is the Gaian, which I have already been doing nightly one-card pulls and journaling with. It's not one that I really want to read for others with though. I'm feeling very protective of it. I brought home a bunch of decks from RS10, including the Legacy of the Divine and the Alchemical Renewed, which read like a dream for other people. I just don't want to read for others with the Gaian, and at the same time, don't want to give up reading for others.

yirabeth

Bat Chicken said:
Yira - It looks like everyone has already given you lots to think about. As usual, this thread brings some excellent questions.

I agree with YODA that, if you are asking, you are already deeply into the answers. ;) I also agree with Mi-Shell - Tarot is a TOOL. How you use it is entirely up to you. The more you innovate, the more the IDS experience can be for everyone that follows you... IDS for me has been about reading exclusively with, but, not looking exclusively at one deck. That deck is just at the center - the one that brings others in and out like a single important thread in a woven blanket.

Forgive me for my response being so much about 'my experience' but that is all I can speak for and maybe you might pull something of use to you and your question from it.

All I know is what my IDS was intended to do and what it has evolved into over the last 3+ months is surprising and wonderful. All of you have had as much influence as the cards themselves. So an IDS has become this unexpected and unplanned road I am following. I've met other decks (it's inevitable that you will meet the Thoth or RWS if you are using a modern deck) and books and ideas and myself! along the way. I have learned a little bit about what I want and don't want and I am less afraid of making a 'mistake'. So to make it into whatever you want, Yira, is key. If you don't you'll find you will lose steam. Isn't that alone, creative?

The Greenwood may have failed for me as a Tarot, but, by no means was the experience a failure, nor was it a waste - I learned a lot! And I still enjoy new information as it comes up. In terms of reading - it is an Oracle to me, but I can read with it now. I never could before. My connection to the cards has evolved and I learned something about myself. So it was intellectual, spiritual and emotional...

My interest in occult decks has waned and because the Blake is woven in with post RWS structure, there is an aspect of it that is fun to excavate, but, like the Greenwood, it is the exploration of myth and religion that has kept me going, not the occult. I love the Blake in spite of its complexity - maybe because of it, but, I prefer to see the deck in light of Blake's own times, his own views and not in terms of the Tarot structure it has inherited. Have I lost Tarot again? No. I don't think so, but, until I am done, I cannot say for sure. The TdM has emerged more and more in my study of Blake, but, that can only be in the Majors. I know it will be interesting one way or another!

I don't know if that helps you or not, Yira, but either way, allow yourself to explore and don't worry about what is RIGHT. In the end, nobody can tell you what Tarot is for you.

Please don't apologize for sharing your experience, it's very welcomed and helpful :)

I really appreciate your insights - and everyone else's! - as it has helped me to clarify my mind and even be brave enough to just do what I need to do. Silly I know, but that's not something I'm good at. Perhaps that in itself is part of the IDS...

I agree with you about not needing to not look at other decks. For me, tarot collecting is entirely different than tarot study. I have 20 decks (WOW! 6 months ago I had NONE) and I love them all dearly -- and they're a collection of artwork that I like to look through every so often. My collection isn't even about readability, it's about artwork that appeals to me or makes me laugh or even makes me cry...doesn't need to be even remotely readable. I plan on displaying them in photo albums when I get around to it even - just like artwork! I have no need to restrict myself from doing so, there's really nothing spiritual/growth related about it.

I'm still working on my new guidelines -- my spirit guide asked me to wait and meditate a bit on it first, so perhaps there's more I'm missing than the insight Wendy pointed out to me regarding it. I do tend to rush in full of enthusiasm and forget key points or bite off more than I can chew..hehe Of course this round there's more than a tiny bit of apprehension involved as well -- but this is WHY I started tarot, and I will do it and I'm sure learn a lot and grow a lot through it :) Just gotta remember to keep the joy and celebration tarot can bring too, that's all.

Anyway I'm working on this, and meditating, and even doing little readings regarding it, and I expect I'll be posting back in a day or two to lay out my new guidelines...

~Yira

Bat Chicken

ncefafn said:
Hey, guys, I'm back for a moment with a question:

Maybe on on my own planet here, but, I have looked at other decks only in SUPPORT of or to further the study of my IDS deck. Not to read with, or to play with out of context...

Reading for others is an option during an IDS, so if it's too personal, I believe others have either opted out of doing circles or have a deck in their IDS specific to reading while studying another. That is a rough way to go, though, and can take away from the core IDS deck.

zan_chan

Hmm, well since Kat is back now it'd probably be best to get the word from her (since I only pretend to be in charge :p ) but I think I still might vote not kosher. I think a lot of the spirit, even the fun, of IDS is jumping head first into the shark tank and going no holds barred with a deck and really enjoying the process of not knowing what you're doing. It would seem that if a precedent was set that exclusivity isn't necessary we may quickly lose a lot of what makes IDS so unique.

What does everyone else think?

ncefafn

Okey-doke. I'll withdraw my application. Thanks for the opinions, guys.

zan_chan

ncefafn said:
Okey-doke. I'll withdraw my application. Thanks for the opinions, guys.

Thanks for understanding, Kim. But I do hope that the Gaian gets deep enough under your skin so you're back here soon ready to be as exclusive as possible }) :)