Is Aleister Crowley an Evil Man?

Rosanne

I think Similia said it all back at the begining. Read as much a you can by Crowley and about Crowley.... and then decide for yourself.
If you decide he has no value- don't let others who think he is marvelous in thought word and deed, make you feel inferior.
If you decide he has merit, do not let the detractors make you feel inferior (or sinful).

That is what an education allows for you. Decide for yourself, and when commenting speak for yourself- not what you think others should or should not think.

Personally for myself, I think the good that Crowley has done for Tarot is far outweighed by the bad. Thats my gripe- not all the other hype, his flaws or his dysfunction or even his sad drug addiction. His works live on... so sadly does his reputation and the fact he was into Tarot.

Indigo Rose

Crowley an evil man? Yes. We are all both good and evil. Some hard lessons have made me look in the mirror at my own *evil* nature. It is humbling and makes me not wish to judge Crowley or any other soul. Grace gives us the opportunity to learn to overcome; to choose the Light and fight the *good fight*. If you choose to learn from him then *pick the meat from the bones*. Just as in everything else, figure out what you believe and how you want to conduct your life: your path...your choices. :heart:

chriske

Aeon418 said:
Negative biographers concentrate of Crowley's faults, positive biographers concentrate of Crowley's virtues. But in either case they get in the way.

Having said that, it's still useful to know the details of Crowley's life when trying to understand his work.

Thanks Aeon418. That was exactly my experience with the "difficult" poet that I mentioned earlier. I might add that I am at the beginning of my study of Crowley, whilst many other contributors on AT seem to have gone through the cycle several times. I shall catch up.

chriske

ravenest said:
The desire for, not only power, but some type of special power, with special advantage. People looking for a short cut, thinking that magick (or call it whatever you will) will give them an easy advantage without having to work for it.

Boy, that was one tough group that you had! My comment on seekers being beyond good and evil really looks very naive (and downright foolish) on reflection. So be it.

Aeon418

chriske said:
My comment on seekers being beyond good and evil really looks very naive (and downright foolish) on reflection. So be it.
Not necessarily. I might rephrase it though as "the seeker must look beyond good and evil". This is especially true when studying Crowley.

moderndayruth

ravenest said:
Nothing good on TV on Tuesday nights (serious! We once asked people why they came to our group and someone gave this as the reason)
He, he - this sounds like a valid reason to me :thumbsup:
I was reluctant to read this thread because of the very wording of it's title - but i think it's progress does confirm that the things tend to transform into their own opposite :D
I agree with Gregory - "baby, bathwater...." ;)

gregory

Rosanne said:
That is what an education allows for you. Decide for yourself, and when commenting speak for yourself- not what you think others should or should not think.
RIGHT ON ROSY !!!! :*

ravenest

sacredashes said:
I do apologize if I sounded like I was comdemning others, it was not my intention to come across that way.
No you didnt come across like that to me, I quoted L.L. in agrrement with you :)

ravenest

Here is a deffinition of 'evil' that AC adopted for use in an initiation ritual:

"Remember that unbalanced force is evil; that unbalanced severity is but cruelty and oppression; but that also unbalanced mercy is but weakness which would allow and abet Evil. "

Seems by his own deffinition that 'evil' isn't that hard to accomplish?

mac22

ravenest said:
Here is a deffinition of 'evil' that AC adopted for use in an initiation ritual:

"Remember that unbalanced force is evil; that unbalanced severity is but cruelty and oppression; but that also unbalanced mercy is but weakness which would allow and abet Evil. "

Seems by his own deffinition that 'evil' isn't that hard to accomplish?

Never is...:(

Edmund Burke said, ‘The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.'

Mac22