learning to draw

HudsonGray

Here's some more tutorials:

http://www.mariawilliam.net/tutorials.html Another color pencil tutorial, but sort of simplistic. The main site has much better info on how to use watercolors -- http://www.enchantedartworks.com/ezine/2004-May/eztuts.html - and drawing lessons. Also http://www.portrait-artist.org/color/colored-pencil-tutorial.html

Art budget? You're just starting up, you've got to get the basics. After that, it's a budget.

Hint* With watercolors, when you put the paint on the paper, while it's still wet toss some salt onto the wet paint, it'll make some interesting patterns. Rock salt will do different than rough ground salt, which will be different than table salt. Let it dry & then brush the salt off. It only works with watercolors though.

Edited to add one more URL & again to add the following---

Lots & Lots of color pencil info on this page, I even bookmarked it for me to check later! : http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=84820

Page

Originally posted by punchinella [/i]
Has anybody here learned to draw--as an adult??? --I'm distressed. I'm l

Has anybody else here taken on such a thing at a ripe old age (e.g. 34)?? --Anybody succeeded???

--Any advice? (I mean, besides try collage instead :laugh: )
------------
I must confess that I havn’t read any the posts for this thread.
I should be working…..
Anyway funny enough my name “Tarot Artist” sounds sooooo pretentious but I’m not trust me it's just a pi$$take of myself….Getting to the point I don’t believe anyone when they say they can’t draw.
I understand what is meaning behind this BUT isn’t it just not being confident with your own work ???? i.e I felt for ages even after art school that my drawing skills was cr@p.
My drawing skills was rusty and at one stage I even cried , so I know how you feel…..I can now laugh my head off. :D I’m now comfortable with my style of drawing and I keep at it as it’s something which takes some time.

But yes you can learn to draw in your 30's !

I think my main problem was that I wanted to do “fine art” drawings which is not me. I wish I could knock out such work.

Do you think Keith Harring, Jean-Michel Basquiat…. Can draw??

I think it’s also important not to find the right tutor if able to attend classes, as he/she can bring out the best in you. Also try pastals, inks, oils as you may well find that you can work better with one than the other.

tempestfire

Learning to draw

Just my opinion here- but maybe you are letting your mind overwhelm you. Drawing should be free-ing. It shouldn't be "daunting". Try to look at a childs drawing- when children draw, paint or whatever- they just do it. They don't have all the years of society pressure saying that "you can't do this or that- you don't have the experience" and so on. Your style will come to you.
I think the advice you have recieved in this thread is definately worthy advice.
Take a pencil and paper with you everywhere you go.
I may get negative feedback for this next statement- but.... I have had art professors suggest is as a tool. To let your hand and eye get use to working together. I am by NO means saying that you should use this method and try to pass it off as origional. Find some photographs or copies of the type of things you are wanting to draw. If they are too small- blow up a copy. Then get some tracing paper- and practice. It gets your "mind" out of the drawing- you can't talk yourself down in the process. (Even tracing takes some time) It's one way you can at least get your hand ready to do what you want it to do- and draw what your eye sees. Again- let me state that this is not to be passed off as origional work. After you are pleased with how the tracing has turned out- try drawing the picture without tracing. Again this could take several attempts to get it to where you want it. Hope this helps.

HudsonGray

You can do the same thing with comic books--they break a figure down to bare basics, including the faces, and you can get some very good lessons from practicing drawing the way you see those done. Sure, they're exagerated & out of proportion, and the perspective can be skewed, but it's easier getting a feel for the human figure than it would be trying to draw from real life right off the bat.

But--don't pass it off as your original work either. This is just for practice. Especially with mouths, eyes & noses.

Phoenix Spirit

i don't know if this is the right place for me to ask this but what do you mean ' learning to draw as an adult?'

is it to develop your drawing technique into more advanced materials?

my godess i sould posh saying that!!!! ;D

Phoenix Spirit

punchinella

Phoenix Spirit said:
i don't know if this is the right place for me to ask this but what do you mean ' learning to draw as an adult?'

is it to develop your drawing technique into more advanced materials?
I mean, I didn't learn as a kid, so now I've got to start from scratch!

Phoenix Spirit

oh. thanks, i understand now!

x x x x x

HudsonGray

*bump*

How's the drawing practice going, Punchinella? You taking time to do some drawing & doodling every day?

Willow_tree

Ive been making art for years. I learned to draw through doodling. I would scrible or draw lines on a paper then try to make it look interesting. The technique worked very well for me. another way to learn would be to buy some comic books and draw the figures until you get a grasp of how the body looks. A friend of mine did that, and hes amazing at drawing now. The people in comics are all exagerated, which will allow you to see the body parts. not be confused by a slim body of a supermodel in a magazine.

Just be patient and dont give up at it

punchinella

Hi Willow tree (the best kind) & welcome! You must be naturally talented, to learn to draw by doodling!!!

HudsonGray, I'm in this pack-up-&-sell-the-house mode (moving to California in less than four weeks) but I am still sketching a bit, not every day. I've discovered that, like somebody else in this thread (I can't remember who) I really prefer the small to the large . . . for example, a couple of weeks ago this public lilac garden was in bloom here, & so I went planning to sniff & sketch . . . First I tried to sketch a lilac bush & it didn't work (too shapeless & complex). Then, I switched to an oak tree . . . even worse. Finally I settled on a dandelion. This sketch was lovely! (Until I got home & spoiled it by adding color, that is.)

I've decided that images in my deck will have to be of the small & particular variety . . . I'm thinking now of neo-Marseilles-style pip cards, incorporating things like dandelions & arugula :D since that's what I seem to be able to cope with; alternatively, I could turn the cups into shells, batons into twigs, etc. etc. --A far cry from the fairyland I had originally envisioned :|

In my 5000+ mile trip from Ontario to California, I plan to have a sketchbook constantly by my side! My travelling companion (mother) & I have decided to take the 'Northern route' & hit Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, northern Utah, etc. along the way. Sketching could be seriously fun (particularly since she does this too--my mother, that is :D :D :D )

And, once I get to California, I understand there's a free life-drawing session offered weekly at the local art school!!!

So, all things considered, I'm a happy virgin deck creator! (Thanks for the bump, & the question :) )

Punch