learning to draw

dolphinprincess

I found a really cool drawing book recently.... I just received it from Amazon and I remebered reading and posting in this thread. I thought I'd share it with you.

It is called Drawing as a Sacred Activity by Heather C. Williams.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=1577312244/ref=nosim/aeclectic/

I only started reading it last night, but it looks to have a lot of potential.... :D

liannimal

Another suggestion

If you want to learn to draw from your head, I recommend Jack Hamm's drawing books, especially his "drawing people" one. They're old-fashioned in style- all the people look like they're from the 40's, but he's very good at breaking down the structures that make people move the way they do and such, so you can get a quick sense of how to draw the pose you imagine.

These books helped me a lot when I was in high school and developed a sudden desire to be able to reproduce what's in my head. I've never learned to be a "proper artist" - i can't draw from life or any of those kind of things, but I was able to get what I wanted as an artist by learning some basic tricks about body structures and the like.

Don't feel you have to be a "proper artist". It's awesome if you want that, but if you don't, it can be very constraining and stupid to look at art with other purposes and methods as inferior. Don't get all bogged down in some official view of things. If you enjoy it and feel like you're getting better (sometimes, at least), you're doing it right!

Lianne