Let's talk Temperance

JackofWands

It's always a bit intimidating to post on a thread where Thirteen has already chimed in (and twice, no less!), but here goes.

As Barleywine and Richard have already noted, Temperance is an alchemical card. As such, I think it's best interpreted in an alchemical context. Medieval alchemy was fundamentally about trying to transform the essence of things--usually from something base to something refined. The big flashy example that everyone always talks about is the attempt to turn lead into gold, but more broadly, alchemy can be understood as an attempt to purify and refine, not only with physical objects (such as metals) but with the human soul itself.

The Temperance card, then, is about the transformation of the soul in this manner. More specifically, I think it's about taking the component parts of the soul and concatenating them into something whole and unique. More than any other card (in my admittedly limited understanding), Temperance is about becoming. (The "what" of the becoming is a matter left to question.)

Astrologyically, Temperance's Sagittarius sits opposite the Gemini of the Lovers, and in this sense, I see Temperance as a counterpart to (and perhaps even a completion of) the principle of balance expressed by the Lovers. The Lovers represent two halves of a whole, two perfect complements coming together, but in that card, the two halves remain fundamentally separate. They are yin and yang, and while they exist in perpetual harmony they are also perpetually separate; they will always be the twin feminine and masculine energies, and will never unite into a single genderless spirit.

I think Temperance represents exactly this unification. This card is not only about balancing opposites, but about fusing them to create something new. Temperance is the apotheosis of the human soul, the ability to bring together all the disparate components of the psyche and transcend to a higher state of being.

This is all very abstract, and can often be difficult to apply on a more mundane level. But if I were to try to express my understanding of Temperance in a non-alchemical sense, I would say that it is about synthesis. Temperance brings together opposing forces and unites them in a new and innovative way. Yes, this could be a quasi-religious experience of transcendence. But it could also be the innovative spirit of an effective manager, the construction of a subtle flavor profile by an expert chef, and so on and so forth.

Zmagus64

So much great thought provoking feedback here, it seems my next book will be on alchemy ( I gotta figure out how to put an emoticon in the text). I find that how we/I relate to a card is based on the associations we've built to that card. Whether it's alchemical, zodiacal, numerical, religious, spiritual or another association, they seem to lead to a similar result for the IV. They all speak of taking the disparate and making it whole. At what level are we working is a question that I think the rest of the cards will help point out. I did a reading this afternoon using a 12 card zodiac spread. Third house was Temperance and 9th house was The Tower. I have to admit I was pretty happy to see Temperance with all of this new insight since yesterday. As JackofWands mentioned previously, there is a strong link with opposites in the zodiac, and I read that pair of cards as a shot to her believe system, a doubting of who's in charge of the big show, be it religious or just her sense of what's right and wrong with the world she lives in (Tower in the 9th). I believe Temperance in the 3rd house opposing the Tower in the 9th, gives a similar message but applied to a friend of hers, which we tried to deduce by the surrounding cards.

Temperance on it's surface seems so obvious, but clearly this is much more than "what you see is what you get". It's been a great card to dig deeper into and see how others relate, and now that I have some new associations I wonder how many different hats (or wings) Temperance will don on the card table in front of me moving forward?

Richard

......I think Temperance represents exactly this unification. This card is not only about balancing opposites, but about fusing them to create something new. Temperance is the apotheosis of the human soul, the ability to bring together all the disparate components of the psyche and transcend to a higher state of being.....

Yes. An example of this is the Jungian process of individuation, symbolized by the marriage of the Sun (conscious mind) and Moon (unconscious mind). The Golden Dawn views Temperance Qabalistically as spanning the Path between Yesod (Foundation), whose planet is the Moon, and Tiphareth (Beauty), whose planet is the Sun. This synthesis of our Masculine (Fire) and Feminine (Water) polarities is the Great Work.

ThusSpokeZarathustra

Just an oh-by-the-way, but I much prefer the term "modulate" in association with Temperance, rather than "moderate." Moderation is one of the more popular interpretations I've seen for this card.

Moduate: To change or adjust (something) so that it exists in a balanced or proper amount.

vs.

Moderate: To cause to be less extreme, intense, or violent.

The former implies that the action of the angel in Temperance is aimed at adjusting and optimizing its potency, while the latter suggests a reduction in potency to fall within accepted limits. One has a positive, proactive connotation while the other is more negative and reactive. I see nothing about the figure of the angel that suggests a diminishment of the forces at work. Its posture and expression seem to show concentration and resolve, a focused extension of willpower.
To me, this actually brings up a new point of confusion.

If Temperance is "modulation," meaning adjustment, how does it compare to the Thoth variant of Justice, which is called Adjustment?

Barleywine

This is all very abstract, and can often be difficult to apply on a more mundane level. But if I were to try to express my understanding of Temperance in a non-alchemical sense, I would say that it is about synthesis. Temperance brings together opposing forces and unites them in a new and innovative way. Yes, this could be a quasi-religious experience of transcendence. But it could also be the innovative spirit of an effective manager, the construction of a subtle flavor profile by an expert chef, and so on and so forth.

This strikes a resonant chord with me. Here are some quotes from the notebook entries I made when I was struggling to grasp the practical import of all the alchemical abstractions:

"There is a lot of talk in the literature about alchemical transmutation and the reconciliation of opposites (Fire and Water), V.I.T.R.I.O.L and the need to seek within for the 'Stone of the Wise,' the relation of this card to Trump VI and the 'consummation of the marriage,' and the correspondence to Sagittarius. There is a wealth of ideas to contemplate but precious little to immediately apply at the level of a mundane question. Other than the repeated reference to transmutation, about the only straightforward things Crowley said about it are: 'combination of forces; success after elaborate maneuvers.' Paul Foster Case was more explicit: 'Temperance, in the day when Tarot was invented, meant 'tempering' or 'modifying.' It therefore suggests 'adaptation;' 'To adapt is to equalize, to adjust, to coordinate, to equilibrate.' As I understand it, to transmute is to transform one thing into another, ideally refining it and releasing its higher nature."

In practical terms, I think of it as successfully mediating between one's "solar" and "lunar" natures. More quotes from my notebook:

"Therefore, I generally see this card in a reading when there is a need to strike a delicate balance between an enthusiastic, spontaneous response (Fire, Sun, Tiphareth) and a more dispassionate, reflective reaction (Water, Moon, Yesod); between what the ego is insisting you do and what the emotions caution you not to do. To me, 'adaptation' and 'adjustment' suggest the idea of successfully modulating one's stance when there are two equally compelling but contradictory forces in play. It's the 'fine Art of Right Action' (neither too much force nor too little) when a discriminating finesse is called for. There can be a need to walk a fine line between over-reacting and under-reacting. There is also a need to be flexible but firm."

Richard

"...To me, 'adaptation' and 'adjustment' suggest the idea of successfully modulating one's stance when there are two equally compelling but contradictory forces in play. It's the 'fine Art of Right Action' (neither too much force nor too little) when a discriminating finesse is called for. There can be a need to walk a fine line between over-reacting and under-reacting. There is also a need to be flexible but firm."

Applause from the Confucians, yawns from the Taoists, raspberries from the Thelemites.

Simply "Do what thou wilt." Of course, that is begging the question, since the archaic expression "thou wilt" is undefined. }) Discovering the Will is an aspect of the Great Work.

Ruby Jewel

natures. More quotes from my notebook:

"Therefore, I generally see this card in a reading when there is a need to strike a delicate balance between an enthusiastic, spontaneous response (Fire, Sun, Tiphareth) and a more dispassionate, reflective reaction (Water, Moon, Yesod); between what the ego is insisting you do and what the emotions caution you not to do. To me, 'adaptation' and 'adjustment' suggest the idea of successfully modulating one's stance when there are two equally compelling but contradictory forces in play. It's the 'fine Art of Right Action' (neither too much force nor too little) when a discriminating finesse is called for. There can be a need to walk a fine line between over-reacting and under-reacting. There is also a need to be flexible but firm."

This is a really subtle reading of the Temperance card which I find not only fascinating, but infinitely "telling." In fact, Rachel Pollock indicates at one point that Temperance may, in fact, be saying, "do nothing." It is especially appropriate where one has been obsessive in their reactions and responses. "the fine art of right action"....perfectamundo! Thank you Barleywine.