Letting others touch your decks

Do you let other people touch your decks?

• Yes. I let anyone touch my decks. The more the merrier.

Votes: 56 41.5%
  • No. I will let a querent shuffle, but outside of that, I don't let others touch my decks.

Votes: 23 17.0%
  • No. I won't even let querents shuffle them. NOBODY touches my decks.

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • Other: Please specify

Votes: 35 25.9%

• Total voters

ilweran

Well I picked 'I let anyone touch my decks', but as all my decks are kept in my bedroom in reality the number of people who get the opportunity is rather small. When I get a place of my own things might be different, but as long as people are respectful, have clean hands and don't crease the spines of the books hopefully I still won't mind.

I will admit I'm very protective of my books and anyone who borrows one gets a long talk on taking care of them. I have relaxed slightly since meeting my fiance- we met online and the first time he came down to visit he went back home with 3 or 4 of my books which left me slightly in shock :D

I think the only decks I'm very protective of are the Greenwood and the Vertigo.

6 Haunted Days

Nobody touches my decks, period. I am very private and with things I treasure, even moreso.

Nholdamek

I am very, very sensative to "foreign" energy (from other people), so no, generally I do not allow others to touch my decks. In fact, (concerning energy, not decks), I just got a pendant the other day (unicursal hexagram), and found out yesterday my aunt had accidently picked it up because she thought it was my cousins. My aunt lives about 10 miles away, but I convinced my mother to take me to go get it yesterday because I honestly didn't want my aunt's energy around it that long. Reason is she is such an angry, depressed person...and I don't get along with her, at all. And again, I'm very, very sensative to energy.

As for my deck, the same rule applies. The only person I allow to touch it is my mother because when I'm doing the opening of the key spread, and I need to find which pile the significator fell in, it's easier for her to quickly look through than for me to feel every single card looking for it. Plus I have an excellent relationship with her; we are very close; so I don't mind.

Sulis

I don't consider myself a collector but a reader so I love people to handle my decks.
I voted 'the more the merrier' :)

Original Destiny

I dont mind people touching my decks as long as they treat them with respect. I always get my clients to shuffle and cut the deck before a reading.

LixiPixi

I chose #2. I will let certain people on certain occasions touch/handle mine, but I'm never "casual" about it. And I much prefer a querent to cut the deck rather than shuffle it. Watching someone who can't shuffle well or can't handle the odd size of a tarot deck makes me want to cringe! :eek:

My kids love to sit with me when a new deck comes in the mail. We'll sit side-by-side and go through them together looking at each card. But the minute the stack gets too thick for them to hang on to, down they go (the cards, not the kids...lol).

LP~

dandelion

I chose "other." While I have limited experience reading for others, I'd have to say that it would "depend on the person" for me. If someone rubs me the wrong way, I'm not going to invite them to handle something that's important to me.

Another way to connect a querent with a deck without touching would simply be to have them place their hands on either side of the deck, palms facing in, and give them a minute to think about thier question(s).

Briar Rose

Quote: Lyric says; Well, I'm not a collector, I'm a reader, so I let people handle my decks.

For a deck that would be hard to replace, like the Buckland, I'm a little more careful. end quote.

I like Lyric's response to the answer.

I tend to agree with her.

I don't mind other people touching my decks. I don't have any hard to replace decks (yet). I can't wait until I get one. I'd be careful then.

Alta

Annabelle said:
I chose Other.

I will gladly allow my friends to touch my decks.

And when I read for others, be they friends or strangers, I encourage them to shuffle and cut the deck. But I typically use mass market decks like the Universal Waite when doing readings, so if the cards get a bit worn, all the better.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I would let anyone handle my cards, though. Given the investment - of money and of time - that I've made in my collection, I don't invite anyone into the room containing my collection unless I know them well and trust them.
I choose "Other" for the same reasons as Annabelle. :)

bigcaat

What interesting replies. Not at all what I expected. Most people seem to not mind people touching their decks, and the focus is somebody simply handling something of theirs that they care about.

My thought has always been that people's energies rub off on my deck and I don't want to have to bother cleansing them. Of course, I let my querents handle them when I'm reading for them, but outside of that, I'm very sensitive to energy.

I guess it's nothing more than if you get instilled with a superstition when you first start, that's what rubs off and sticks with you.

Don't know if I need to rethink this or if I'm just good with the way it is. Logically, like someone said, they're just pieces of cardboard with pictures on them, but that's just not how I think of them.

I suppose it's always good to reassess now and again. ;-)

Caat