Lmited or "special" edition decks - your preferences?

What do you want in a special, limited edition deck?

• Larger than the mass production deck

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • In some way unique - some new cards or some other special feature (please say what)

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • More expensive printing (in our case we plan to add gold inks, but is there something else?)

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • A very limited edition - not more than 500 - so "scarcity" value

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • A slightly less limited edition - not more than 1000 - less scarce but less expensive

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • A price of less than $100 (quite enough to pay for a deck thank-you!)

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • The sky is the limit - it's art! (but please say roughly what you do think is the ceiling)

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Something else altogether (please say more!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

baba-prague

I know we are a bit into summer "silly season" but I mean this as a serious question. We've just been out for lunch and a discussion of the Limited Edition of Baroque Bohemian Cats (the original deck is not limited edition, it's quite a small initial run, but in theory may go to a reprint) and it left us both with some questions. So I thought I'd simply ask them here.

What do you look for in a limited edition deck? They seem to vary so much in intention, quality, price, rarity and everything else. So would you rather it was a very limited edition and more expensive, or less limited and less expensive (sounds an odd question, but it is very much an issue for us - the fewer we print the more each one has to be - but on the other hand, perhaps that makes it special?) Do you buy for use, for the art (for instance, we have just sold a deck to a lady from Canada who simply plans to frame the cards) or for investment? What makes one limited edition deck more special than another (okay, that is one HUGE question!)

So - a poll that I hope will be of interest to others also.

EDITED TO SAY - IT IS ONLY POSSIBLE TO TICK ONE OPTION - SORRY! THIS MAKES THE POLL A LITTLE LESS USEFUL, BUT PLEASE ALSO ADD YOUR COMMENTS.

Eco74

Woohooo!

First one out!

My elaboration on "sky is the limit" is really pretty simple.

It's art.
If I don't like it I'm not buying it however much money it could possibly make me in the future or how scarce or difficult it is to come by.
Ofcourse there is a financial limit since I have a regular job and no unlimited funds.. I think around 100USD or thereabout if I had it available for use.

Atleast this is my standpoint on it now, this may change later but I hope not for the sanctity of the artwork...
Ofcourse I hope to have more funds later in life but that is a different story. *s*

Rusty Neon

Gold ink, as a special deck feature? I must be the only people on this list who's mildly allergic to metal inks and foils.

Kissa

hi baba,

thanks for the great poll. very interesting once again to be able to see things from the creators' point of view.

i voted for special features. yes baby yes! give me golden ink, baby! i also imagined a special card with real lace on it. or a funny cat paper doll with "princess" clothes to cut off... :D mwaaah! (guess who spends days with a four year old pretenting to be a princess)

i cannot afford an expensive deck, i would feel pretty silly buying a deck for over $50 or $60. i don't mind the rarity that much, what i like about limited edition is that they are signed by the artist(s) most of the time. :D

i used the first edition of your ToP as my every day deck. i am a gentle shuffler but still, after months of use, i realised "now wait... it is a limited edition!!!". i know many here don't use lim.ed. decks for daily readings but it didn't bother me. for some reason, this deck just was begging to be hold and whisper its secrets to my curious ears... my point is, if you ever do this lim.ed. of the BBCats and it appeals to me more for some reason (golden ink, golden ink!!) than the first ed., i will use it normally, no extra sweat or hands shivering. i have ugly decks sleeping in my closet so believe me, when i get my hands on a gorgeous one that talks to me, i don't hesitate! ;)

wishing you a nice summer end in Prague!

K.

baba-prague

Rusty Neon said:
Gold ink, as a special deck feature? I must be the only people on this list who's mildly allergic to metal inks and foils.

Well, yes, we'd like to add gold as it would look so wonderful in a Baroque deck. But the allergy issue is a real one. I think inks cause far fewer problems than foils (am I right about that?) but it is something to hear in mind.

baba-prague

Kissa said:
hi baba,

i voted for special features. yes baby yes! give me golden ink, baby! i also imagined a special card with real lace on it. or a funny cat paper doll with "princess" clothes to cut off... :D mwaaah! (guess who spends days with a four year old pretenting to be a princess)

We thought about the paper doll too. It would be so much fun (adults could pretend they were only dressing up the doll for the children in their lives of course :) ) We printed out some of the figures and cut them out ages ago, and they looked great - quite atmospheric really.

The problem is that all that kind of thing pushes up the price fast - unless you are printing thousands, which of course we don't intend to do. Maybe some special features could be optional in some way? Sounds odd, but perhaps it could work?

I love the idea of real lace too - but how on earth would you shuffle with that?

By the way, I agree with you personally that things are best used. It's one reason why I incline towards not making this deck too expensive, as otherwise it might end up sitting on a shelf.

Rusty Neon

baba-prague said:
Well, yes, we'd like to add gold as it would look so wonderful in a Baroque deck. But the allergy issue is a real one. I think inks cause far fewer problems than foils (am I right about that?) but it is something to hear in mind.

I do know that my skin gets itchy and reddened as a result of contact with books (Bibles, etc.) with gilt-edge pages or contact with metallic decks like the LS Silver Mantegna, LS Estensi, U.S. Medieval Scapini and even Grimaud's Masonic Tarot deck. Decks such as the Egorov, the LS Golden Tarot of the Tsars, and the U.S. Games Golden Tarot are on my wish-list but probably won't be bought, for that reason.

baba-prague

We have talked to the printers about putting the gold ink under the varnish, but the problem with that is that it tends to turn silver to grey and gold to brown. But we can pursue this and see if there is some way around it.

By the way, I have a very slight metal allergy as well (my skin itches like mad if I wear most metals other than silver or gold) so I am sympathise.

I suppose at least our mass market version (silly to call it that in a way, as the print run isn't that huge, but you know what I mean) doesn't have any gold inks.

Eco74

baba-prague said:

I love the idea of real lace too - but how on earth would you shuffle with that?

Verrry Verrrry Carefully. LOL

That would be great to have as artwork though.
Imagine, a somewhat larger than average card with actual cloth and lace in the costume..
Would look stunning on any wall, and with those colors aswell.
Now there's a stunning addition to any gallery. :)

VGimlet

I chose a printing of 1000 - not because of the number, but because there were also a lot of other things that might apply too.

I would pay over 100 US - the sky is the limit - for a limited deck if I really wanted it without a question - but I would read with it rarely, if ever. Anything over 100 gets "collection only" status in my personal tarot realm. I buy for the art though, not for investment. I wouldn't buy a deck just because it was/might be worth money someday.
I always say they are a good investment - and then Ken reminds me "Yes, but you have to sell someday for them to be called an investment." And he's right, that's not likely to happen, LOL.

For a reading deck around 50 is my limit. For a deck that might be either - depends.

As far as extras go - special ink, or a few cards that are different, or something special - and I agree, cards signed by the artist are an extra plus.

For me, it's the art that makes the difference in a deck. I am a big fan of Folchi, and his decks are amazing to me. They are not the oldest decks around - but there is something about them that makes me want to look at them with my own eyes, and hold them in my hands. Most of them had reasonable printings - but look how much the Carnival deck goes for (or don't look - I really don't want to think about it...) And most of the artists I've bought special decks from, I felt the same way - I must have that deck.