Ludy Lescot; Your thoughts on it?

Alea

As the title implies, I'd like to know what are the thoughts you guys have on it, especially those who've own it, used it and yadda yadda. ;)
How does it read, the artwork, and the cardstock.

Thanks! :)

lalalibra

This is a deck that I just can't put down. Since getting it last month, I've set aside all my other Tarot decks so that I can work with this one exclusively - and I haven't looked back. I knew I was going to get along well with it from looking at the images/reviews online because I loved the vibe of the artwork, but I also (and more importantly) found the images to be really intriguing, ones that I could really spend time contemplating. So it reads well for me - but this sort of thing is so personal that you'd have to look at this deck closely for yourself, as we're all so different.

I actually posted about it another thread recently, but here I am again to say that I'm still loving this deck. Some of the 'darker' images make some people feel uncomfortable, but I really don't find the images threatening at all. In fact, I find this deck rather comforting to work with, and if you're going through a challenging time or exploring your shadows, then this deck especially meets you where you are. And yet it doesn't have to be too 'dark' or too serious either. Overall, it's very clear, and the images are very deep and emotionally evocative.

Cardstock is standard Lo Scarabeo - a little more on the thin side, but flexible. It's certainly not your heavy-duty ultra-glossy-laminated cardstock; the cards are semi-matte, kind of slippery, but they shuffle very well as a result and I actually think they feel really nice (I've come to appreciate Lo Scarabeo cardstock now that I have a few decks by them; they might not seem durable at first but I find they actually hold up very well). The borders are black so it does get some noticeable wear on the edges... but, dare I say, I think it kind of adds to the appeal... And I LOVE the back of the cards too!

Le Fanu

Just so we get both sides;

Hated it. I just found it trashy, adolescent and pointless.

There. How damning is that? And I really couldn't be bothered mustering up any interest in the mystery of who she was. Something invented with big breasts, methinks.

That cleavage totally failed to draw me in. Traded it. Obliterated all trace of it from my collection

nisaba

I find that of every dark deck I owned (or have owned and gave away) except the Bosch deck - and it's not listed as a dark deck! <laughter>

I don't trade them off. I wince when I use them in dark circles, but I still join a dark circle every so often. It's an interesting discipline to use a deck you don't like.

That cleavage totally failed to draw me in.

Why does that not surprise me.

BrownBear

There. How damning is that? And I really couldn't be bothered mustering up any interest in the mystery of who she was. Something invented with big breasts, methinks.

That cleavage totally failed to draw me in. Traded it. Obliterated all trace of it from my collection
LOL. Same here.

This deck reminds me of the days when I was a pimply adolescent, sitting around a Ouija board with the lights out, candles burning in a group of other pimply adolescents, pretending to do woo woo stuff. We were indeed trashy, pointless and adolescent.

And yes, the giant hooters make me weary.

Shade

I rather like the Metafiction aspect of the Deck, it made the deck harder to step into but, like the Mona Lisa, this became part of what makes the deck fun. There's a story in the cards but not one that begins on the Fool and culminates somewhere in the 10 of Pentacles.

It will be going with me to New Orleans this year for Halloween.

Borders are the new minimalist approach from Lo Scarabeo. Cardstock is standard, those people who shuffle decks like they are trying to bend an iPhone 6 shouldn't touch it but it bridges just fine for the rest of us.

lalalibra

There's a lot more to this deck than cleavage, but I guess it's just one of those things that's far too distracting for some.

feynrir

There's a lot more to this deck than cleavage, but I guess it's just one of those things that's far too distracting for some.
Hear, hear!

It's not my favorite or anything, but a friend of mine read for me with it and I quite liked its unique take on some of the cards. The minimalistic borders and the backs were also very attractive--love Lo Scarabeo's cardstock, too.

I also think that the sexiness wasn't too overwhelming, actually, but perhaps that's just me? It could have been quite a bit tackier.

lalalibra

Hear, hear!

It's not my favorite or anything, but a friend of mine read for me with it and I quite liked its unique take on some of the cards. The minimalistic borders and the backs were also very attractive--love Lo Scarabeo's cardstock, too.

I also think that the sexiness wasn't too overwhelming, actually, but perhaps that's just me? It could have been quite a bit tackier.

Yeah, I do think this deck has a very distinct atmosphere; certainly not for everyone (what is, anyway?), but I definitely don't see it as "trashy." This deck has a touch of eroticism that is more or less noticeable in certain cards, but I don't find it trashy or uncomfortable nor over-the-top; I actually quite like the mood that it creates here, but I suppose that if someone doesn't like the art style, then that aspect may seem to be what's particularly abrasive to them.

But in either case, we can observe how the content in this deck is capable of inspiring very visceral reactions - which for a Tarot deck, I think is excellent. Those reactions and associations tell us more about ourselves - and often what needs to be healed. That's why I love this deck. That's what makes it so powerful. Each card tells a story...

...Take the 3 of Swords for example - some people look at it and think "Oh god, what has SHE done to those babies?" (and then they'll go write the deck off as disgusting or senseless or whatever else) but that is their own projection onto the card, just as much as it is to think, "Oh no, look at all that rubble - the building must have collapsed and she's the sole survivor; left to mourn all that was most precious."

I agree that there is a really unique take on a lot of the cards. The depictions particularly inspire my intuition; it just speaks to me and makes "sense." I actually fell into a bit of slump with some of my other Tarot decks in recent months, but getting a deck I find as riveting as the Ludy Lescot has gotten me back into really enjoying Tarot a lot more again. So with that being said, it's also shown me just how much of a difference the deck itself can make for us. :)