Matthews' Arthurian Tarot -- Still Used?

Parzival

Matthew"s arthurian

I have done. And "No". :)

The artwork on the newer version I think is richer and more saturated in colour. The only slight problem is that the whiter borders and celtic knotwork distract slightly but in terms of colour, I'd go with the newer one.

Well described. The white-border version has more richness of color, as with the knight of cups, a favorite card that keeps reappearing in one-card draws for me. The older black-border version has some inner power to it by way of the more misty tone and the blank-black borders. I like both versions, with their hard to define nuances of differences. I wonder if the original paintings are in there complete, or if the tops are cut left and right.

Pollux

Thank you Le Fanu and Frank Hall.

I can't say why, I am so so crazily attracted to this deck, it feels like it could be "the ultimate" tarot deck for me, don't know if you see what I mean, and I am growing more and more anxious to get by the books and try to grab a black bordered copy (the older the better, even though I'd still prefer to get a sealed copy by spending a bit more).

As for the books, I think I have located some cheap copies, alas used (but there don't seem to be new ones around), but I don't care as long as they're readable.

Hopefully I should manage to get by the Handbook ("red" book). *fingers crossed*
I am not interested, not yet at least, in meditative work and similar, so I think I could positively pass on the newer "yellow" and the former "blue" book (which I gather are more focused on the meditation/self/healing purpose), and try to find the other companion, that is the "purple" book, for completion's sake.

I could wait as long as till Christmas, but I sense next Halloween would be a nice time to gift miself with all these three, black-bordered deck, red book and purple book. :D

Pollux

Alright... got my black bordered one... YAYYYYY!!!

Yay me and YAY FLAXEN! :D :love:

I must still make serious comparisons, but I don't mind the black borders...
They do affect me in some way, making me feel like... more focused, more "into it", like when you drive on a highway at night and somehow having less light and driving by the light of your front-lamps makes you follow the road more easily and in a focused, goal-oriented way... While in plain daylight it's a bit confusing and dazzling and... distracting... you're struck and diverted by diversity and movement all around you and must be careful at every little thing that happens and moves around you, in the darkness of night you can restrict your field of attention and attain a different state of concentration and level of consciousness.

The cards are slightly larger that the newer edition from Connections I got from Book Depository.
They are good for meditation, with bigger dimension of the images, and I don't mind the somewhat more muted and softened colours - still got to manage to sit down and make proper comparisons though.

Also, by having the vintage Aquarian Press deck, I know I can use the newer one for fortune telling without problems, as I still have my original 1990s deck in mint conditions. :D
It's crazy, the deck is practically brand new... The box is battered a bit on the sides but who cares?! The cards are perfect, the book is perfect, it's all brand new. And I got it for a decently cheap price (I am not going to say how much as some others ATers might want to throw their sleepers at me! :D ) but hell, it was damn cheap after all, especially in light of the conditions the set is in.

ISBN is: 0-85030-843-7
Or... 9 - 780850-308433.
Any relevant info about this edition?

gregory

YAY someone else who finds the black borders draw you in. I SO much prefer them !

Lifeisabutterfly

I totally prefer the black borders (trimmed the outer whites) to the new version. Although both are lovely, to me it seems like the black borders are more...mature? I too feel more focused and the black arches create a hallowed, mysterious atmosphere like peeking through one of those antique keyholes, whilst the newer version has a more outdoorsy feel to them. However, I noticed on more than one occasion that after reading and meditating with them for a while I start to get a slight headache, and mentally tired...don't know why? any thoughts on that? It doesn't happen with other decks...and it's one reason why I don't use them as often I would like. I am such a fan of this type of setting, it's a shame...

Pollux

After a lazy comparison, I think the older edition looks much much better...
The new one is more saturated, the contrast is augmented and the lightness is increased too.
In the comparison, as I posted earlier, the cards of the newer edition to look a bit grainy, the older one has images with a soft touch and higher resolution somehow, and the hues are more gentle (tending to light blue, azure, light cerulean, less reddish).
The "light" in the landscapes looks better.
Look at the Priestess for example, the new one in comparison is so weird, whilst the old one is so clearly bathing in a night overcast by moonlight, the light is so silvery and metallic, it's so moon-lit night! :)

Lifeisabutterfly

Yes, you are quite right. the newer edition, quite frankly did nothing for me because I had already been exposed to the first editon.

Penthasilia

I totally prefer the black borders (trimmed the outer whites) to the new version. Although both are lovely, to me it seems like the black borders are more...mature? I too feel more focused and the black arches create a hallowed, mysterious atmosphere like peeking through one of those antique keyholes, whilst the newer version has a more outdoorsy feel to them. However, I noticed on more than one occasion that after reading and meditating with them for a while I start to get a slight headache, and mentally tired...don't know why? any thoughts on that? It doesn't happen with other decks...and it's one reason why I don't use them as often I would like. I am such a fan of this type of setting, it's a shame...

Yes- I am stalking you :D

No, not really- just wanted to post on this and agreed with your take on it. I have the black bordered one as well- to me it is as if I am standing in a tunnel in the veil, looking out into the scenes in the pictures. Of course, mine is trimmed to include only the black borders and pictures. I do love it though- one of those decks I would never consider going "all the way" with- I plan on keeping the black borders as they have become part of the picture itself. I saw the one with white borders- it made me scissor-happy, and not in the good way :p OK- not to get to woowoo, but have you considered that your tiredness is coming from the fact that you are sitting in a tunnel in the veil between the worlds, watching Avalon and trying to learn the mysteries? To me, seems pretty natural that it would wear you out. Just my crazy 2 cents there- someone who is more rational-minded can offer you a more solid explanation, I am sure :D

Parzival

Matthew"s arthurian

After a lazy comparison, I think the older edition looks much much better...
The new one is more saturated, the contrast is augmented and the lightness is increased too.
In the comparison, as I posted earlier, the cards of the newer edition to look a bit grainy, the older one has images with a soft touch and higher resolution somehow, and the hues are more gentle (tending to light blue, azure, light cerulean, less reddish).
The "light" in the landscapes looks better.
Look at the Priestess for example, the new one in comparison is so weird, whilst the old one is so clearly bathing in a night overcast by moonlight, the light is so silvery and metallic, it's so moon-lit night! :)

This really gets to it-- "soft touch" versus "more saturated" and ,I might add, night surrounded vrsus light surrounded. I prefer the early edition but like both.

Lifeisabutterfly

Yes- I am stalking you :D

No, not really- just wanted to post on this and agreed with your take on it. I have the black bordered one as well- to me it is as if I am standing in a tunnel in the veil, looking out into the scenes in the pictures. Of course, mine is trimmed to include only the black borders and pictures. I do love it though- one of those decks I would never consider going "all the way" with- I plan on keeping the black borders as they have become part of the picture itself. I saw the one with white borders- it made me scissor-happy, and not in the good way :p OK- not to get to woowoo, but have you considered that your tiredness is coming from the fact that you are sitting in a tunnel in the veil between the worlds, watching Avalon and trying to learn the mysteries? To me, seems pretty natural that it would wear you out. Just my crazy 2 cents there- someone who is more rational-minded can offer you a more solid explanation, I am sure :D

Dear Scissor Happy:
Thats a brilliant explanation! I thank you for this :) PS I never would go "all the way" with these black borders either!
Meet you at the tunnel !