modern tarot rant

Little Baron

Yes, Fall Guy. I have two English versions and couldn't work with them. I had previously seen it in French and needed to work with that version.

LB

agedog1

Boy am I going to get it for this comment.

First I collect Taro decks, I like many others have some very "Old" decks. As well as one or two Tarock cards encased in mueseum glass. These decks reside in a Safety Deposit box at my bank.

Secondly, I like quite a few of the egyptian decks which others seem to think are really plain.

Third, there are three modern decks I like to use for reading. The Morgan/Greer, also a deck that is only two years since publication (I think that's right, if not someone will surely correct me) Tarot of Dreams. The age old stand by RW.

Fourth, I keep a great number of decks for my students to view and compare.

Fifth, I also read with just a normal 52 card deck.

Finally, I've probably been reading so long, and I'm getting old I realize I am quite opinionated!

Hope I have not insulted anyone

WaterSong

this thread is si very interesting...

I think culture is a living thing...we are constantly evolving and so are our insights and views as human beings.
For me it's natural that also the Tarot decks would show this movement...if you look at art and literature, to make an example, they did not stay still through time.Human beings continue to recreate themselves, nothings stays static ....and they do it through the use of symbols.

So I see this happening with the tarot cards...there are wonderfully skilled artists that have been reinterpreting the way messages and meanings are represented or depicted,but basically they stay the same.A name may change( I don't feel particularly thrown off balance because the Popesse( La papessa) has become the High Priestess)...the energy remains the same.

I find the Spiral Tarot and the Gaian Tarot to be incredibly beautiful....their images have life and movement, like the universe itself.

I personally have moved away from the Traditional tarot cards: I find them too rigid in their representations, a little lifeless, and I dont say this with the intention to cause a polemic.It's just my preference.

I did start reading with the Marseilles, then RW...now I am using the Robin Wood, Spiral and feel drawn to the Crystal tarot...the colors speak to me.I also like the Old Path, the Gilded ....

The results are the same....the proof is in the pudding, as they say.
I beleive that you need to know the history of Tarot and study the traditional esoteric meaning and representation of it...but also you can stay open to the evolution of it, to new visions and interpretations.
At the end there is really nothing new under the Sun.

The Tarot is a tool and the user needs to feel a connection with ...if at the end the insights and interpretations are useful and accurate who cares if the images are just dots and splotches of color or the original version of the Temperance? The energy that the Temperance represents will always be out there available.

My philosophy is: use what works for you and what matters is the final result.

I do have difficulty in relating to Tarot decks that use house appliances myself...or too modern pictures...but they must work for someone else so it's fine with me :)

The beautiful thing about the universe we live in its variety and richness.

Blessings :)

vision777

when you speak of dark tarot decks the first one i thought of besides morgan greer was Fantastical tarot. i do not own this deck but i have a couple of pictures of diffrent cards saved. i will try to get this deck for my self my favored cards are the emperor and justice . the back rounds are dark and there faces look deep.

northsea

thinbuddha, the 1JJ came to mind when I read your "rant", but I assume you're already familiar with the 1JJ and other classic tarot decks. What you really want is to choose from modern decks that have an unadorned "tarot" quality with esoteric substance. What do you think of the Tavaglione Stairs of Gold?

magpie9

I just thought of another. It may be too themed for you, but if you love Celtic knotwork and the book of Kells, you really should check out "theCeltic Tarot" the artist Courtney Davis drew. It's not all done up with modern ideas about how the celts lived, etc., but looks exactly like a deck from that time and place would be. no fluffy, no romanticism, no modern interpetations. and the minors are pips, and beautiful. it's a treat of a deck, & reads beautifully. I don't know why it's not popular.

Here's a link, see what you think. the colors are a bit brighter in person, but never loud.
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/celtic/

thinbuddha

I am loving all the suggestions- some of which are new to me- some of which I've seen before, here and there, but never picked up, for some reason ($).

I also agree with the sentiment that a few have expressed- that tarot is a living art form, and that to yearn for a deck that is feux-antique is, essentially, to yearn for something of a Vegas deck- no, I don't mean filled with slot machines- I mean the way Vegas represents a sort of "living cartoon" of real places/times (such as Paris, Venice, New York etc). A visit to Vegas isn't a visit to New York, and a reading with an ersatz 18th century imitation wouldn't necessarily make for more than a reading with a cartoon deck-

But there are a glut of really poorly done decks, and very few decks with real artistry.

I love the Thoth deck. It has soem real artistry in it- For me, it is a nearly perfect deck (there are a few cards that bother me) and it is's perfection is in a contemporary (to 1940's) style. OK- so it's hard to compare every deck to one of the all time classics..... But I'm still looking for that classic from OUR time.

I know that I ranted about collage decks- but only because they are (normally) put together rather poorly. But I guess that I would really like to see Nick Bantock create a tarot deck:

http://www.nickbantock.com/original_art/Nick_Bantock_Gallery.html

Though interestingly enough, he did create an oracle of sorts:

http://www.nickbantock.com/Games/Sage.html
http://www.nickbantock.com/Games/SageHistory.html

(I'm not sure about the verasity of the "History of Sage" page- NB is given to inventing histories- it's part of the charm of his work- more research would be needed..... but I digress)

full deck

jmd said:
. . . Personally, I do not think that only decks from the ancient past have that 'quality'. A number of modern decks come to mind readily, albeit three of these are Atouts only (at this stage). There are the re-creations by Jean-Claude and Roxanne Flornoy (at letarot.com) of the Noblet and the Dodal; there is the fantastic Félicité . . .
I would second these suggestions as well. Flornoy is quite good. The Félicité is impressive but bit difficult to get a hold of and wants money.

Cerulean

A few Egyptian suggestions..

1. Egyptian mythology...

...I seem to read that many favor the Clive Barrett's Ancient Egyptian for tarot.

For oracles, the Book of Doors is great and has an appendix that will show the 22 trump correspondence with tarot, if you want a tarotlike oracle deck with much Egyptian information.

I have both of the above in English. I also have a few 'esoteric' Egyptian-style decks that appeal more to an art lover and perhaps historic tarot fan. They aren't as easy to decipher or as strong in Egyptian mythology as the two above.

My esoteric and historical tarot pick with an Egyptian feel is the Lo Scarabeo deck and book kit of Sylvana Alasia's beautiful "Egyptien" that has trumps based on Paul Christian's 19th century writings of a student becoming initiated into the 22 'keys' or 'steps' of an esoteric society--fictional and charming. The deck has pretty paintings on black cards as if they were papyrus scrolls. The minors are written about as well in English, but most of the meanings are similar to Italian card-meanings, a rather old style of reading tarot.

If you just want beautiful Egyptian-style illustrations and don't mind Italian language books, the De Vecchi edition of the Laura Tuan Egyptian has great, large cards and an old fashioned, not easily read tarot structure similar to Etteilla of the late 1700's/or 1800's.

2, Let me add for esoteric charm, the Di Vecchi editions available through Tarotgarden/Alidastore or House of Tarot have a blend that I like--at least one of their Italian-themed decks has the Il Meneghello Di Gumppenberg with green, blue, gold and sienna coloring and a book that has a kind of esoteric charm...they also have the Giant Dotti and a small book that works for me--but it's Italian.

3. Not that the Sylvana Alasia/Paul Christian deck is giving away any secrets, but the structure and the initiation of the student in the trumps and the inspirational romance of the paintings (including a lutelike/lyrelike female musician) gives me a taste of old ritualized romance. There's something of depth that calls from all the way back, even if you cannot really say it's based on an actual papyrus. The calligraphy and symbolism as a homage to ancient pictures and writing and this is a blend rich enough for lovely readings...for me the book and deck kit works.

Best wishes,

Cerulean

Fulgour

It's 1929 and you've just lost everything:
job, cash, house, your entire future dims.

Wandering aimlessly lost along the street
you walk past a store window, looking at
your dismal reflection ~ but as you focus
through the glass, you see a strange box.

Tarot Cards. Do you have any money to
buy them... some change... just enough.

"Knapp-Hall" you read in the very small
little book..."Knapp-Hall Tarot Cards" it
says and you feel your luck changing...

As you look through the pack you head
for the Library. At least it's still free...
and you have a feeling you'll be staying
until closing and coming back tomorrow.