Mountain Dream Tarot by Bea Nettles

Teheuti

I don't know how many of you are familiar with one of the first (if not the first?) photographic tarot decks, created by Bea Nettles in the early 1970s. It's a wonderful deck, based on the RWS, and featuring photographs taken at the artist's commune where she was then living. It is now available in a borderless third edition. A friend gave me a copy of the original edition when it first came out and I have always cherished it, and I've ordered the new edition that looks very usable.
http://www.beanettles.com/store/?page_id=348

RunningWild

Wow, I like the look of that, Mary. Thanks for sharing.

Le Fanu

I love this deck. I have the 2nd edition. I interviewed Bea Nettles a few years ago. A facinating woman and this deck is one of a kind. With each passing year it looks more and more magical!

I'm intrigued to see it borderless.

Teheuti

I love this deck. I have the 2nd edition. I interviewed Bea Nettles a few years ago. A facinating woman and this deck is one of a kind. With each passing year it looks more and more magical!
Do you have a link to your interview?

Le Fanu

Do you have a link to your interview?
It was translated into an article in Portuguese. I adapted some of the information into a piece on my blog if you search for Mountain Dream on there...

agviz

LOVE this deck!

It was translated into an article in Portuguese. I adapted some of the information into a piece on my blog if you search for Mountain Dream on there...

That's a really nice article; it aptly summarizes what's so great about the deck. Thanks for that!!!

I got my third printing a few days ago and I really love it! I became interested in photo decks upon hearing of Mountain Dream (but not being able to afford the OOP versions). I looked at other photos decks and didn't really get into any of them, so I was pretty happy to hear this was reprinted.

Mountain Dream is so simple, endearing, and - as you put it in your article - haunting. The nine of swords floating over the bed has such an ethereal quality. Again though, it's done so simply. And how about those pentacles... aren't they Frisbees with cardboard stars stuck on them?! You have to love that! Perhaps it's because I'm a cgi artist myself and use Photoshop a great deal, I find Mountain Dream VERY refreshing.

The tinting is great, but I wonder if I'd like the original black and white version even more - being that this is a "less is more" kind of deck. Either way, I'm delighted to finally be able to enjoy Bea Nettles' deck.

Teheuti

The tinting is great, but I wonder if I'd like the original black and white version even more - being that this is a "less is more" kind of deck. Either way, I'm delighted to finally be able to enjoy Bea Nettles' deck.
The original cards are differently colored. Each suit and the Major Arcana is a different variation on black: Cups are reddish-black, Swords are a blue-black, Pentacles are black-black, Majors are purple-black, Wands are green-black. You need good light to really see the differences.

agviz

I've had a bit of warping with the deck since the few days that I've had it. I don't mind a little bit, but this is warped a bit much for my tastes. My home isn't especially warm or cold, but it is a bit dry - don't know if that has anything to do with it. Has anyone else gotten this printing and observed some warping?

Furthermore, can anyone advise how to un-warp a deck? I've already tried putting it under heavy books for a day or so, as well as putting it in a plastic bag and then putting it under heavy books in the refrigerator. No luck so far.

Teheuti

I haven't received my copy yet so I don't know if there is a warping problem. You might try a couple of bridge shuffles with the cards the opposite way to the warp. Other than that, I'd let Bea know what's going on (via the order page). She also works with paper arts so she might have some suggestions.

jema

lol, I just had to order it. I been proud not to get new decks for a while now but this one been on the wishlist sooo long so it was time to finally get it :-D