New Guy Requests Help

Kenny

I'm half thinking about looking at TdM, or similar, decks and would like to know the best way in to this discipline.

Any help would be gratefully received!

Kenny :)

Paul

Hi Kenny -- and welcome to the TdM, well almost.
:)

Your question will elicit many responses, I'm sure.
I would like to ask what deck you read now? how do you read now (intuitively, book meanings, etc.) and how do you prefer to learn Tarot (lots of book study, jumping in feet first)?

Perhaps your learning style and preferences can be matched to the "best fit".

Hooked on TdM

Hi Kenny and welcome to the wonderful world of TdM's!

I'm new to TdM's also so I have no information I can share. What I can share is that you might get a lot of cryptic responses. Read them carefully and try what is suggested. It's really not that cryptic after all. It can be frustrating but is well worth it.

Hooked

Kenny

Thanks for the quick replies!

Okay, I don't mind reading or studying--reading books while doing readings wouldn't be too bad for me as I have done this before! I'm more of a jump in feet first though, I think. :)

Currently, though, I read intuitively.

Kenny :)

PS to Hooked, have you read the Thoth forum? What you describe is almost what it's like on there... :D

Moonbow

Hi Kenny

I think a good start is to settle on one deck for the time being and go through the threads in this forum whilst looking at your own deck. If you come up against anything you don't understand, then ask and someone will always help you out. There is no definitive way to read with a Marseilles deck its experimental, but it really is a good idea to understand the differences between TdM I and TdM II. From there you will instantly (or almost) be able to look at a Marseilles deck and identify it's basis.

Here is a thread to get you started:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=61489

You have to be prepared to do quite a bit of reading.

There are many different ways of interpreting the cards so I would advise you to read up on all styles (most, if not all, will be posted in these forums) and then try them out. You will settle on one or even devise your own based on the knowledge you have picked up here. Over time you may even develop and/or adapt your own method and style.

I always recommend these threads for working through, and adding to as well. Here you can see a mixture of interpretations for one card:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=749177&postcount=3

You will find the above post in the Contents of the Marseilles forum.

Enjoy!

Moonbow*

Abrac

ahh...another victim! })

You might go to the Aeclectic Reviews or Tarot Garden and check out all the different ones. You will probably find a few right away that will pique your interest. This would help you narrow your focus and give you a place to start.

Good luck!

frelkins

As a TdM newbie myself, I am liking the Flournoy Noblet a great deal, but a "standard" Grimaud won't hurt you, is available everywhere, and costs just US$10. I am also deeply enjoying my new LS Ancient Bologna (thanks Paul!). :) The Camoin method, while different than other systems, is proving easy to learn and quite accurate in my few tests of it so far.

Your mileage may vary. Just my 2 rupees. Good luck.

eugim

Oh Moonbow !!!!
You surely rank for the best mommy here,ready to help the "lost" kids...

My best as usual...

Eugim

eugim

Hello Kenny ...
The members here are right I think...
So first place to us what are you looking for,so we can help to find "bread" brother...

My best,

Eugim