Newbie's questions to lenormand readers

andybc

I hope that you meant this with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Tag_jorrit I don't think Lee does. It seems to have become a popular meaning among newer readers. God knows how or why lol. It makes no sense to me, and I'd love to hear an explanation because it's a real malefic card.

greatdane

This is what I love about AT and threads!

They so take on a life of their own! I get the answers to questions I wouldn't even have known to ask! I get my basic questions answered...and then some! I hope this thread continues and there are more answers and maybe more clarifying questions. I feel fortunate to read all the posts by all readers, especially the really seasoned ones.

frelkins

Tag_jorrit I don't think Lee does. It seems to have become a popular meaning among newer readers. God knows how or why lol. It makes no sense to me, and I'd love to hear an explanation because it's a real malefic card.

Lee is absolutely being light-hearted. :) it's one of his hallmarks.

And yet there is an element of meaning-as-use at play now in the English-speaking lennie community. They appear uncomfortable withthe concept of negative cards & so work to redefine them into sifter meanings or even positive ones. I wonder id this due to the influence if tarot ideas (no such thing as a negative or pisitive card, all is context) or of the Virtue cards (rosy scenarios & magic ponies with rainbow wings!!!!)

andybc

Lee is absolutely being light-hearted. :) it's one of his hallmarks.

And yet there is an element of meaning-as-use at play now in the English-speaking lennie community. They appear uncomfortable withthe concept of negative cards & so work to redefine them into sifter meanings or even positive ones. I wonder id this due to the influence if tarot ideas (no such thing as a negative or pisitive card, all is context) or of the Virtue cards (rosy scenarios & magic ponies with rainbow wings!!!!)

Frelkins I think you're spot on there. I'm half expecting a Doreen Virtue Lenormand soon *cringe* :)

Lee

Now I feel like I'm in the crosshairs of the tradition police. :joke: (just kidding!)

Seriously, I have no problem with negative card meanings and wouldn't use the "teamwork" meaning myself. I was trying (and obviously failing :D) to inject some levity and lighten things up a bit. Sometimes we are all in danger (myself included!) of taking ourselves just a bit too seriously. ;)

greatdane

Books....

I have seen some books mentioned, esp showing some of different systems, could someone please list a few here? Andybc, I believe you have one, I think there are some others who may list a bit about different systems. I'm guessing I'm not the only newbie interested.... ;-).

andybc

Now I feel like I'm in the crosshairs of the tradition police. :joke: (just kidding!)

Seriously, I have no problem with negative card meanings and wouldn't use the "teamwork" meaning myself. I was trying (and obviously failing :D) to inject some levity and lighten things up a bit. Sometimes we are all in danger (myself included!) of taking ourselves just a bit too seriously. ;)

Lol didn't you know I'm the tradition's rottweiler, Lee? One deviation and I confiscate the deck :joke:

We do take ourselves too seriously at times. It's quite refreshing sometimes to have some lighter moments.

Lee

Hey Andy, I understand if you're not in a position to release any information, but if you are, I'd love to know if you have a projected timeline for the release of your book.

andybc

The ones I particularly like are:

Das Orakel der Mlle Lenormand by Erna Droesbeke (Dutch, German, French & Englis*h)
Petit Lenormand by Colette Silvestre (French)
Die Sibylle der Salons by Iris Treppner (German)
Easy to Learn Fortune Telling by Britta (English German)

Those three are all good and different perspectives, you will get a broad view.
Iris and her mother, Kathe, are experts and Erna remains my personal favourite. Britta is great for total newbies but can be twee.

I'm 25 % through Marcus and Tali's book. So I cannot make a judgement. Caitlin Matthews and Rana George both have books due out - Caitlin did so much work her book will be amazing, and I took her Webinar classes which were amazing. Rana is such a gifted person, I'm very excited.

Obviously, I have a course and a book so I have to be a bit careful what I say.

* English is OOP but was the first Lenormand book in English released and still one of the best imho.