nine of pentacles

tink27

Symbols

ljosberinn said:
yeah but still, it's so prominent in the picture once you notice it, it almost doesn't fit and if i were to criticize the drawing as a drawing i'd say cut the snail because it just doesn't fit, just like the cat in the queen of wands. that's why i think it must've been put there for some symbolic reason and maybe it's just the patience you need to show when working on something and then afterwards, you can reape the benefits.
i think there're just as important symbols in the minor arcana as in the major arcana. maybe they're smaller or less noticeable, of course the major arcana is magnificent in its rich rich symbolism but there are such a lot of small symbols in the minor arcana too which can help you see what the card means.
thank you all for the feedback, so this card is obviously very much related to the high priestess and even the empress with the venus signs and all the feminity?
i guessed the trees were connected to the two pillars on the major arcana cards, but tink27 has a very interesting view on it too.
i've always really liked this card, not sure why but there's something so attractive about it. and by the way, since i've already made the thread, i was wondering how many of you have studied symbolism, that is in university or something. i'm extremely interested and i have one year of college left and i'd love to study symbolism. so uh.. yeah, just, how is it, and any schools you recommend? (preferably where teaching is in english ;P)

Gosh ljosberinn look at all the symbols we can identify and interpret with one card! Symbols are a way of expanding our consciousness and I'm not sure if a course is even offered that could even define a little thing like a snail.

"The symbol plucks all the strings of the human spirit at once..."
J.J. Bachofen

I love that quote.

For each and everyone of us to understand symbols, we need to create our own personal library. Visualizing symbols is the most natural way of learning. It isn't lines or words we 'see' but illustrations and images.

I wish you well on your tarot essay. There is a wealth of information here for you to gather. And lots of symbols!

tink

tink

rainwolf

I think the hawk represents the woman's keenness, while the snail shows steady progress and sureness. She's worked for all she has and she enjoys it while using her past knowledge and skills to keep it at the same time.

ljosberinn

thank you all so very much, you've been extremely helpful!

sulis i especially liked your points of view. unfortunately it's too late because i handed in the essay already, i just said the snail was a sign of independence and such and the grapes were the 'fruit of her labour' and wealth. it wasn't very special because it was only 8 pages but i took a few cards and explained a little about the symbolism in each one and i tried my best to come to my own conclusion about the symbols, but sometimes i used a little additional help, like you guys.
i immediately saw that i could easily write a whole 8 page essay on pretty much any single card though haha. but this gave me a chance to look through my whole deck and find such a lot of miscellaneous symbols i'd never even noticed before! so i gained a new kind of respect for this deck, i rarely use it anymore because i have a nother one in which i like the drawings alot better but rws is remarkable.

and kilts_knave thank you very much for the thread, i did check it before but as i said, i tried to come to my own conclusion about most of them so i didn't use it much : )
and again, thank you all, you big-brainers haha :D

Tarotwytch

HarleyQuinnX

Hi ,
Thanks for that information on snail and slug reproduction. I think I will pass looking at the creepy pictures. I used to keep Giant African Land Snails as pets - but I never knew the gory details.

Abrac

To me the images on this card are reminiscent of some of the old alchemical images of a bird attached to a toad by a chain. In this case we have a bird, a snail, and the woman replacing the chain. In alchemy, the symbolism represents balance between mind and body. The woman in the Nine of Pentacles represents creativity and fecundity.

-fof

Fulgour

Discernment

ljosberinn said:
i saw some discussion about the small snail and i have to say, it can't be just to be a snail in the garden, i think it must mean something.
Move in to a place in your imagination where you sense
that the Hawk is aware of the Snail ~ through its hood.

Abrac

In medieval times, the snail was considered a loathesome creature, even evil in some cases. It represented everything base (sinful) and undesireable . The bird on the other hand represented the more superior and desireable qualities of intellect and imagination which were believed to be more "godly."

-fof

caridwen

In medieval times, the snail was considered a loathesome creature, even evil in some cases. It represented everything base (sinful) and undesireable . The bird on the other hand represented the more superior and desireable qualities of intellect and imagination which were believed to be more "godly."

I think this has something to do with snails eating rotten things. Somewhat representative of 'something rotten in Denmark'.

The snail could also literally represent how well tamed the falcon is, in that it has not tried to eat it.