nine of pentacles

Tarotwytch

The snails in my garden wouldn't eat anything rotten...they just eat the freshest, greenest most prized plants that they can lay their slimy little bodies on. :-D

Fulgour

Audacity!

Snails move along with those giraffe looking feelers,
but if you've had the priveledge of watching hawks
there are not words that can accurately describe it.

HAWKS

They are a "presence" when they come hunting...
over this last winter there were always several in
the vicinity of my garden. Perched, flying by, and
then feasting ~ right before my eyes ~ with zeal.

I watched a hawk six feet in front of me eat a bird
in about five minutes~ nothing is left but feathers.
And it watched me too...I can still feel those eyes.

And when they arrive, the other birds scatter fast,
in every direction, singly and in groups ~ they fly!

caridwen

Tarotwytch said:
The snails in my garden wouldn't eat anything rotten...they just eat the freshest, greenest most prized plants that they can lay their slimy little bodies on. :-D

LOL:D This prompted me to google 'snails feeding habits' ~ amazing where tarot leads...

Anyway, everything you wanted to know about snails but were too afraid to ask:

The Class Gastropoda includes snails and slugs. Most gastropods have a single, usually spirally coiled shell, but the shell is lost or reduced in some groups. Many snails have an operculum, a plate that closes the gastropod's opening. Shelled gastropods have mantles, while those without shells have reduced to absent mantles.

Gastropods have a muscular foot used for creeping in most species. In some, the foot is modified for swimming or burrowing. Most gastropods have a well-developed head that includes eyes at the end of one to two pairs of tentacles.

Where do they live?
Gastropods are found worldwide. Gastropods are by far the largest group of molluscs. Their 40,000 species comprise over 80% of living molluscs.

Gastropods are found in freshwater systems, oceans, and on land wherever there is sufficient moisture.

What do they eat?
Gastropods feed on very small things. Most of them scrape or brush particles from surfaces of rocks, seaweeds, animals that don't move, and other objects. For feeding, gastropods use a radula, a hard plate that has teeth.

Gastropod feeding habits are extremely varied, although most species make use of a radula in some aspect of their feeding behavior. Some graze, some browse, some feed on plankton, some are scavengers or detritivores, some are active carnivores.

Primary Diet: carnivore (eats terrestrial vertebrates, eats non-insect arthropods); herbivore .

How do they reproduce?
Gastropods are sexual, and some forms are hermaphroditic, meaning that a single individual can produce both egg and sperm. These individuals will exchange sperm with another individual rather than fertilizing themselves.

http://www.biokids.umich.edu/critters/information/Gastropoda.html

Fascinating creatures, I've just found out that snails fire love darts into each other than act as an aphrodisiac. Many are scavengers feeding on fungi, rotting leaves, dead animals and animal dung. Some slugs may even eat worms. Snails will often return to the same spot time and time again to rest.
Favourite secluded spots include in piles of rotting wood, under stones or flowerpots, in cracks in walls. Hosta plants are sometimes called 'slug hotels' due to being a favourite hiding spot of many slugs.
Slugs and snails like damp conditions. In really dry conditions snails will retreat into their shells and seal the entrance with slime to keep the dampness in.
http://www.wildlifetrust.org.uk/urbanwt/education/wildlifeeducationwebsite/slugs snails.htm

Little Baron

Interesting thread.

I never thought about those two trees before, but yes, they do replicate the pillars in the High Priestess, the couple in the lovers, the baldheads in the Hierophant and the two in The Devil.

But also, I am aware of the pentacles. They way in which they are stacked. Six on one side. Three on the other.

She is satisfied. Six is a harmonious and pleasant number.

But a nine is not complete yet. She may appear to have everything for the moment. But does she? The three pentacles on the other side might suggest a need for growth. For extra learning. It might show that she has cut herself off from others in her garden, like the bird in the hood, and needs to get back out and mix with 'real people'. Having a garden full of pentacles and a pretty dress isn't everything.

LB

lark

I was reading Robert Places book last night The Tarot: History, Symbolism and Divination and he said something that I liked about the hawk..that it suggests she has resources for further gain.
That made a lot of sense to me...so when I read your post LittleBuddha it reminded me of that.
No she doesn't have everything, but that hawk is her ace in the hole that gets her to the tens.

michmm

The bird represents intellect and swiftness of thought!
grapes abundance
you're absolutely right abt the venus-like symbols on her dress...i never thought of that~ thanks for pointing that out!

caridwen

I've always found this lady to be sad and I may have found out one reason why. Medieval women could only inherit money if their husbands died. They couldn't remarry or they would lose what they had to their husbands. I'm not sure but, I believe if they had sons, they lost their inheritence as well. I'm not surprised she seems somewhat melancholy even though she is rich.

michmm

the flowers on her dress which seem to indicate venus, are the same flowers that are on the dress of The Empress...

michmm

caridwen said:
I've always found this lady to be sad and I may have found out one reason why. Medieval women could only inherit money if their husbands died. They couldn't remarry or they would lose what they had to their husbands. I'm not sure but, I believe if they had sons, they lost their inheritence as well. I'm not surprised she seems somewhat melancholy even though she is rich.

absolutely the way i see it too... yes, i see the woman in 9 of pentacles as lonely...despite all her luxuries and riches, she is lonely, but i don't see her as a widow, i see her as one who has all the comforts of life, but her husband is away a lot, on business, making the money!!! but the old adage that comes to mind, "money can't buy you happiness" seems to be very true here...

Crowqueen

I just added a note to the thread about the Nines in general about the Morgan-Greer representation of the RWS image. It strikes me as if Greer has reinterpreted this as the woman showing off her riches to a prospective suitor, and would fit with the idea of a "widow" rather than a wealthy housewife (which up until the end of the era of keeping servants was actually quite an honourable thing to be, as the wife would run the household while the husband brought in the money). Either way the woman's expression to me here suggests smugness or self-satisfaction rather than loneliness and is wearing her pentacles as a necklace.