Not revealing printing sources...

ladybird

Is this a common thing with deck creators/publishers?

I've only asked about one or two decks and was openly told before. However, when I asked a self published creator recently where they printed their deck, they wouldn't reveal their source. Is this something that's usually kept quiet?

canid

It sure shouldn't be kept secret. That shoots up red flags to me. Both as a graphic designer, print buyer & working for various printers for 3 decades. Why would someone do that, I'd ask myself. What are they they trying to hide? Are they printing them in their garage with inferior Wal-Mart card-stock paper & ink, on their ink-jet printer?? I can do that here, thank you. If so, what type of finish/varnish (some call it lamination) are they using on the last pass to protect the cards? Hopefully, not peel-off plastic lamination sheets you can get at Staples...oy. Slice and dice...

ladybird

Fyi: it was The Wild Unknown deck I asked about.

Thanks for replying, Canid. I feel the same way.

It was actually the Wild Unknown folks so I know for sure they aren't printing it in their garage. :) Or, if they were I'm sure they'd happily admit to that. Their response left me to wonder why they would want to keep it a secret? Maybe if you're a big publisher there might be reason, competition maybe? But a self-published deck? I may be missing something here.

My husband thought that since they are indie that they may be printing in China and do not want people to know since they have an image to uphold. (eta: it is a hip deck that does attract hipper folks, just look at their instagram... no judgement, this is perfectly fine!) I could see this. Nowhere on the box nor cards nor pamphlet does it say where the deck is printed.

I love the Wild Unknown and the card stock is my most favorite ever! Being a deck creator I was naturally curious as to where they printed their deck to get such fabulous card stock. Their response was a one liner saying they do not disclose their printing source. It just left me a bit cold and curious.

ETA: Even if it was printed in China, it wouldn't change a thing about how I feel about the deck.

Debra

I love that deck too.

Sometimes people prefer to keep their business relationships confidential.

nisaba

Sometimes people prefer to keep their business relationships confidential.

I'm with you. If they refused to talk about the inspiration of the deck, or influences on their thinking, that would give me Canid's red flag (I'd suspect plagiarism). But who does their printing? Not a problem.

Le Fanu

I sort of respect it. Maybe I'm weird. I'll be honest, if it were me I can imagine doing the same. It's like I've noticed if I ask designers where they get a fabric from they are reluctant to disclose it. I'm used to it now and respect it. I think we have to discover things for ourselves.

I don't think it is being embarrassed that (perhaps) they print in China, more a case of not wanting others to rush out, swamp the printers with demands and push the price up. Plus, one thing I have noticed (and this is NOT related to anyone in this thread) people do tend to copy. I think people should find their own ways of doing things.

Obsydian

One of the things that bothers me with that is that the printer may be missing out on some extra income from another person seeking to print. If I were a printer, I'd want people to tell others to brag about where they got the decks printed!

ladybird

I can certainly understand the confidential business relationship thing. Just to fully disclose, I am working on another deck and since I love their card stock so much I wanted to see where it came from. (I told them this.) I didn't think it would be copying to use the same card stock. I also never thought about clogging up their printer and making it more competitive for them. That makes sense when you put it that way. I was thinking more along the lines like Obsydian, more print jobs would be great for the printer.

The made in China theory from my husband could be bunk but it made sense to me since it doesn't say anywhere on the packaging where. It could just as easily be made India or New York but in the US when something is made here folks are very open to say "Made in the USA." When something is made in China, it's left out.

After reading your posts I'm beginning to sense it was probably a bit rude to ask. Oops!

nisaba

And if it's the Wild Unknown, I've noticed the cardstock is very thick. The deck is like a log in the hand. :) Perhaps people who ask like it - but the same printer doesn't mean the same cardstock.

Melia

If you are interested in similar card stock to The Wild Unknown, I have 2 oracles that have a very similar finish - the 'Whispers of Love' Oracle by Blue Angel Publishing, and that is printed in China; and the Tao Oracle I think has a very similar finish too. One slight problem though - when you accidentally run a finger nail across these oracle cards it leaves a permanent mark on them, which I dislike, and this does not seem to be an issue with The Wild Unknown.

If you are trying to source the exact same card stock this may not be a help to you, but I'm just letting you know that I have seen card stock that is very similar.