Not revealing printing sources...

canid

Printers are a dime a dozen. They're everywhere. It's not like art or fabric designers that actually can HAVE secret methods they're reluctant to share. I totally get that. I would sing my printers' praises all the time, trying to drum up more business for them (if they were good, that is). They HAVE no trade secrets, no secret methods. I would be much less inclined to divulge my inspirational methods, however; could be a personal private thing. But the printer? Nope. I've been in the business since the '80's - something's not right.

ETA: Forgot to ask. WHY do you want to know who the printer is in the first place? You've probably never even heard of them.

Le Fanu

Presumably, the key issue here is not the actual printing but the cardstock they print on, the card they have access to. All printers who are in the business must surely print the sharpest images they can and I'm sure they swear that their image reproduction is high quality. I'm sure they feel they do their best. I can't imagine any printer being happy to issue fuzzy images.

And I guess all printers can print on whatever cardstock the deck creator likes. But it might up the price of the deck. I don't understand anyone going to the trouble of wanting to circulate a deck and then doing it on bad cardstock.

Printing is presumably not difficult, but being able to have it on good cardstock and not increase the price must be a challenge. And the Wild Unknown cardstock really is something else. Almost plastic in its durability but not at all synthetic-feeling. I would be very very very happy if more decks were printed on this cardstock but - well - it's a secret ;)

Debra

"Where did you get your hair cut?" she asked the stranger.

"Where did you get your hair cut?" she asked the stranger.

Nothing wrong with asking--and no obligation to answer.

I can think of many reasons not to identify the printing company.

I might be unhappy with some aspect of our working relationship and not want to recommend them.

If it took a lot of time and effort to find a good printer, I might feel that you should make your own effort.

I might be aware of the criticism sometimes leveled at tarot publishers (cardstock, fuzzy images, color shifts, cutting, unpleasant odors, boxes, you name it).

I may not know if the printer wants to be publicly identified.

I may know that the printer doesn't want to do this kind of work.

I may consider it a private business arrangement.

ladybird

Yes, I was interested in knowing where the card stock came from, Canid. My last printer couldn't print on anything more than 100# card stock. They couldn't guarantee the higher image quality with a thicker card using their digital printers. The printing quality was fantastic and I decided to stick with the 100# stock on digital. They have the offset printing technology that could do thicker card stock but that was going to cost me a fortune so went with the less expensive option. I wonder if that's what the Wild Unknown used?

It's true there are many printers where I live so I'm going to do the work and find out what they are capable of doing for my next project. Perhaps even take my copy of the Wild Unknown to ask if it's possible to get a similar thick card stock. Maybe a pro can tell me if they think it's offset or digital? :) I don't mean any disrespect at all. I just really love the card stock so much and agree with Le Fanu, it would be so very nice if more decks were printed on such wonderful stock! It may cost a pretty penny though.

And Debra, I can totally see now why there could many reasons. I also didn't consider that people might not want to share their hair stylist. Again, whenever I've asked in the past people were more than thrilled to share. Maybe it's where I live?

Sulis

If it's any consolation Ladybird, the Wild Unknown card stock is not as indestructible as it first appears... I've been using my deck for over a year now and I've just had to repair a couple of cards that had the back layer peeling off.. It doesn't bother me at all as I like my card to get that worn in look but I immediately thought of this thread and thought you'd like to know :).

HudsonGray

Debra, I don't think those are actually enough of a reason to not say something to a person asking for info.

Printers want business, they will quote prices based on the project, so it's not like the first tarot creator has anything to hide - their price paid is their choice to keep hidden, whereas the printer won't be telling us what price the first person paid - the job is always based on estimated costs, same as car repair, every job is different.

Card stock isn't a secret. The choices are offered to the person needing their cards printed, they make the choice as to which to use based on availability and cost. It's not a secret. It's materials available.

If you didn't like working with a company, you can say there were issues, or just that it was not the business work you would recommend. No need to elaborate further. Look at the debate on the Game Crafter discussion.

Any printer that doesn't want to do this kind of work will tell the customer that they no longer do that kind of work. It's not a secret. It's their business to be up front about what they are capable of doing for a customer. The guy I went to told me that they didn't have the equipment to do a spray varnish and that it would take 2 weeks to have the job shipped out and done for that phase once the paper was printed, then would come back to be cut, and quoted the addition on the price that would cover it.

The three tarot creators I talked to all were up front about who they used and what kind of quality work they'd had, even what to pay attention to for minor glitch ups they'd encountered. I don't know of many artists who keep a tight rein on information, most network pretty extensively and will discuss the process or issues right up front. I've found the same with writers, they're up front about who they used for printing and whether they were happy with the results or not.

Pixna

The Wild Unknown Tarot is the only deck I'm using these days -- and I love it. The designer is an artist, and I can totally appreciate and understand her not wanting to reveal what she's used to create and publish the cards. Some information, especially when it comes to art, is proprietary. Not wanting to reveal that doesn't raise any red flags for me; I respect an artist's right to privacy when it comes to proprietary aspects of her/his work -- and I feel that whatever reasons they may have for for doing so are none of my business.

That might just be the artist and Hermit/Moon in me speaking, and although it's how I feel, I hope I didn't offend anyone.

ladybird

If it's any consolation Ladybird, the Wild Unknown card stock is not as indestructible as it first appears... I've been using my deck for over a year now and I've just had to repair a couple of cards that had the back layer peeling off.. It doesn't bother me at all as I like my card to get that worn in look but I immediately thought of this thread and thought you'd like to know :).

I can't even picture this, Sulis. I've had my deck that long but I don't think I use it as much as you do. If you can post a picture, please do.

I still like the thickness and sturdiness. I'll just have to shop around locally and see what's available.

Winterchild

I can't even picture this, Sullis. I've had my deck that long but I don't think I use it as much as you do. If you can post a picture, please do.

I still like the thickness and sturdiness. I'll just have to shop around locally and see what's available.

I have used mine a lot, not really had corners peel yet but have a couple of nail marks in the lamination (?)... whatever the finish is. I love the deck, the stock and the finish. I would love to know it wasn't printed in China, but I am guessing it was.

I am an artist, and while I am not precious about my sources I know a fair few who are. But then again I am not and never will be a businessgal!!