Perfect deck, except...

Padma

So I got the Victorian Romantic Tarot deck last November...and I absolutely love it...*except* for one particular card. I can't get over the Two of Swords - I literally find it repulsive ;p it's the image they used - the lady's face and hands give me the severe willies. So much so, that I dread her coming up in a reading, because I can barely stand to look at her odd, bloated, misshapen face, and her dreadful little paws...*urgh!*

I have no problem with any of the other cards, I think they are beautiful! And the Two of Swords in my other decks does not bother me in the least. Though not every card really appeals to me, in every single deck I own, still, none revolts me - or causes such a visceral response in me - like this particular card ;p

Am I alone, or do any of you have a deck where one card in it kinda... kills the love...? ;p

Alamaris

Many! It's not uncommon, more's the pity.

The Mary-el with that atrocious Hierophant.

The Tarot of Eden -- it's Devil had, er, rather enormous glowing (!) genitalia. I am by no means a prude, but that was a bit much!

There was one, the name of which I have failed to remember but may have included the world Celtic, in which the Fool was particularly repulsive. I recall him as an overweight, slobbering drunk with an extraordinarily unpleasant expression on his face.

I seem to remember an ancient thread about the one card that turned folks off of a deck, same as this one. I couldn't find it when I searched, but maybe someone else remembers the title of it? It was quite a good one.

Padma

Hi Alamaris :) glad to see I am not alone...

I understand about the Mary El - actually...the Hierophant was the one card that made me not buy the deck, when it first came out. Which is a shame, as I love her illustrations. But that card...herm...yes. Harsh. Lol! I even went to the Mary El study group to try and...get over it, but I could not breach the narrowness of my vision on that one, sadly.

Now I am curious about the old thread - and the revolting Fool! lol! Going to check out the Celtic named decks...gotta see it! (Not sure I should though - what has been seen...cannot be unseen! Lol!)

spiraling

If I recall, the character depicted in the 2 of swords is anatomically disproportional compared to the other figures throughout the deck, which I found disappointing. So my issue has more to do with the technicalities of the artistry, not so much my intuitive impression of the image regardless.

shadowdancer

Justice from Granny Jones.

Nuff said :D :D Not bad per se, but does create a "what the....." moment.

Morwenna

When I saw scans of Tarot of the Elves I thought it looked great--until I saw the one where the major figure (Empress? HPs?) is lying dead. Eww. That was enough for me.

Padma

If I recall, the character depicted in the 2 of swords is anatomically disproportional compared to the other figures throughout the deck, which I found disappointing. So my issue has more to do with the technicalities of the artistry, not so much my intuitive impression of the image regardless.

Have to agree with you there...I have the companion book, and they print the original images below the meaning of the card...I think I preferred the original by far, I wish they had left it as it was....the art does not impact my intuition, though it does annoy my sense of proportion and aesthetics ;)

Justice from Granny Jones.

Nuff said :D :D Not bad per se, but does create a "what the....." moment.

I will have to go find that! My curiosity is piqued...

Anyone else have a card illustration that they would rather not deal with...?

magpie9

Many! It's not uncommon, more's the pity.

There was one, the name of which I have failed to remember but may have included the world Celtic, in which the Fool was particularly repulsive. I recall him as an overweight, slobbering drunk with an extraordinarily unpleasant expression on his face.

I seem to remember an ancient thread about the one card that turned folks off of a deck, same as this one. I couldn't find it when I searched, but maybe someone else remembers the title of it? It was quite a good one.
I believe that's the LoScarabo Celtic. Horrible Horrible. Unfortunately the drunken demented fool is not shown on these scans...
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/celtic-gaudenzi/

Laura Borealis

The Six of Cups in the Rohrig. The keyword is Pleasure, and it shows a man and woman embracing. But they are out of proportion in size, with the woman being so much smaller that she looks like a child - pre-teen at the oldest. And the pose, while it looks consensual, also comes off as predatory to me. I don't know if Rohrig intended for it to be taken that way, or if it's just a case of bad proportions, but it squicks me.