Perfect deck, except...

Shade

Love the Druidcraft but have never been overly fond of the Magician in it. Or as Rachel Pollack described him: the Disco Magician.

Still love the deck though!

Terrapin

Agree immensely about the HP in the Elves tarot. Yuck-y. Worst card ever.

The Wheel of Fortune in the other-wise mostly wonderful Robin Wood.

Padma

Justice from Granny Jones.

Nuff said :D :D Not bad per se, but does create a "what the....." moment.

Sadly, can't find the image! I did go to look...the cards are very craftsy, aren't they? :) Art naif :) Do you have a link, perchance...?

When I saw scans of Tarot of the Elves I thought it looked great--until I saw the one where the major figure (Empress? HPs?) is lying dead. Eww. That was enough for me.

Eeeeeeyeah....more than a little disturbing...it's the puddle of blood that gets me. I hear you.

The Six of Cups in the Rohrig. The keyword is Pleasure, and it shows a man and woman embracing. But they are out of proportion in size, with the woman being so much smaller that she looks like a child - pre-teen at the oldest. And the pose, while it looks consensual, also comes off as predatory to me. I don't know if Rohrig intended for it to be taken that way, or if it's just a case of bad proportions, but it squicks me.

I went to look - interesting deck...but that card....yeah...an old man grappling a very young girl - no so cool! ;p I understand your squick. :)

Love the Druidcraft but have never been overly fond of the Magician in it. Or as Rachel Pollack described him: the Disco Magician.

Yeah-ha! Seein' the light! lol! Funny card... I can see why it would throw you off track! Hard to stay serious with the theme song to Grease in your head while you read... :laugh:

Agree immensely about the HP in the Elves tarot. Yuck-y. Worst card ever.

The Wheel of Fortune in the other-wise mostly wonderful Robin Wood.

k, that one is just...odd. Heads like sitting ducks in a shooting gallery...eeeeee!

This is really interesting - because we are all so different - and it is amazing to see all these other takes, other likes/dislikes, other decks...keep 'em coming! so informative! (and I am glad to see I am not the only one with heebeejeebees for a specific card ;p )

Chiriku

Love the Druidcraft but have never been overly fond of the Magician in it. Or as

Rachel Pollack described him: the Disco Magician.

Oh? Where'd she say that?

minotaur

A couple thoughts...

On the Victorian Romantic 2 of swords...I know that woman. She is the peasant farmer, the woman who was born with big bone structure and has been paying the price of not being a "beautiful" woman ever since.

I read palms and hands like that are not unusual. When I see a woman with these hands I really dig deep...she will be bitter at life or surprise you with her inner beauty. A palm reading with hands like these can be wonderful as it leaves the woman with a feeling of beauty that those more blessed by genetics get by accident.

I like this card...I have met her many times doing palm readings. They are some of the best palm reading memories I have.

On the Rohrig six of cups...I guess I can see where people get that. I think there is some projection going on. It is tarot and projection is normal. Seeing the card as a predator and a too young woman tells me a person might have had personal experiences along those lines.

I see it as a couple teenagers...the guy maybe 16 or 17...the girl around 14. This is also not uncommon. Too young for common sense and too horny to care all they think about is pleasure. She definitely is not fighting him off. There are many wonderful places you can go with this concept in a reading.

Often the cards (and other things) that turn us off in life are where our deepest shadows lie. These are sometimes the best places to explore for personal growth and happiness.

Laura Borealis

On the Rohrig six of cups...I guess I can see where people get that. I think there is some projection going on. It is tarot and projection is normal. Seeing the card as a predator and a too young woman tells me a person might have had personal experiences along those lines.

I see it as a couple teenagers...the guy maybe 16 or 17...the girl around 14. This is also not uncommon. Too young for common sense and too horny to care all they think about is pleasure. She definitely is not fighting him off. There are many wonderful places you can go with this concept in a reading.

Reading your thoughts here tells me that you didn't actually read mine. My reaction is based on the proportions of the two people. The woman is much smaller - not just shorter. Compare their head sizes.

I also said it could just be awkward proportions on the part of the artist, not intentional; also that the interaction appears consensual (you can look this word up if it confuses you). Nowhere did I say she was fighting him off.

Padma

@ Minotaur - A very interesting and thought provoking take, Minotaur! I enjoyed the way you explained your depth of sight via experience. However, Art (and people) are subjective - what appeals to one does not always appeal to another ;p I don't think my view of the Two Swords lady in the 2nd ed Vic was that she was "ugly" - as in, "oh, she is not all air-brushed and model pretty" it was more that somehow, her image - distorted as it is - really creates a disgust within me, I don't know why. She just - repels me. That is why I described it as "visceral" - i.e., coming, unexplained, from the gut.

And now, as I think you were likely right about the Pleasure card in the Rohrig being disturbing due to past experience - in this life, or others - which card do you dislike, personally, in any of your decks? Because surely there must be at least one... ;)

Padma

Minotaur - this is what I was saying: art is very, very subjective. It is all in the eye of the beholder. You see it as teenagers - fine, that is your view. You are entitled to it. Laura sees it as bad art, not proportionally correct. I see it as a dirty old man fondling a much younger lady. We all see what we see - I don't think it is projection so much as impression and interpretation.

As a painter, myself, I will tell you: ten people will look at a piece of my art, and they will all have a different story to tell about the piece, and what it means. And usually, not one of them comes close to understanding what I intended, and when they interpret it smugly - believing they are correct - all I can do is shrug my shoulders, and say, you will see whatever you want to see. But I know what I was saying...

minotaur

There are many threads about favorite decks that clearly show the difference in tastes. One person's favorite deck is another's least liked.

There is a card in a majors only deck that destroys the deck for me. It is a private publication (by a skeptic who does readings!) that no one here will ever run across. Judging from the elevated blood pressure that pops up unexpectedly I will keep this controversial person unnamed as he will make people percolate and take the thread another direction.

I guess I should add an edit and mention who did this deck. He is the author of the book "Psychic Blues" and his name is Mark Edward. He is vilified by some skeptics because he does readings and also by some readers as he says he is completely fake. That's all I will say about him...all opinions are valid on this fellow.

The card is the Tower. His artwork for it is the World Trade Center with a jet in the foreground.

Yikes.

Debra

I think Laura Borealis describes the Rohrig 6 of Cups perfectly and I recall a thread where this was discussed at some length although of course I cannot find it :rolleyes:

People may react strongly for purely personal reasons, but if they can explain what it is about the image that seems disturbing, it ignores their efforts at art criticism to imply that they are simply projecting onto the artwork the snakes in their own heads. Of course such an implication (ie, you must have issues with older men and younger women or you wouldn't see it this way) is a personal challenge.

eta: Here's the picture. Someone pointed out that his gray hair and beard add to the implication that he's quite older than she.

Attachments

• Rohrig_6_Cups_large.jpg
    Rohrig_6_Cups_large.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 179