Perfect deck, except...

tarotbear

It is definately capitalizing on an image that should not be capitalized on ... but some people have no taste.

My cousin survived 9/11 because he was on the 9th floor when it happened. Had he not given up smoking and been in the 83rd story smoking area with co-workers, he would have been killed.

This is a card I would not show him.

Carla

I did this as an example a couple of years back during the 'Banana Man' discussion - and I always add, ladies, that having seen a lot of male appendages in my day ... this one is not all that unusual!

I always wanted to start a thread about penises in Tarot and call it 'Tarot Dicks' !!!!

Nice one, but he seems to be coming free at the side a bit still. :) Go on and start the Tarot Dicks thread. THat sounds fun!

Laura Borealis

Here is the Tower card from the Silicon Dawn - and I correct myself, the jumpers are NOT smiling - not sure why I remembered them as doing so. I still don't like the card, but I suppose, in the overall theme of the deck (which I don't care for at all), it could be considered appropriate. If I had a close friend or family member who died that day, I might think differently.

http://www.tarotgoddess.org/the-towers-brand-of-change/

Yeah, that's a little hard to look at. That day is still fresh in my memory and it was the footage of the jumpers that really tipped me over the edge. I couldn't help but put myself in their place. With certain death at either hand, I would choose the quick one as well.

It wouldn't personally be a deal-breaker for that deck, for me. But I think it would be harder to read, simply because it's a well-known and emotionally charged event that actually happened. The generic lightning-struck tower is easier to apply to multiple situations.

Bhavana

Yes, Laura, you are right. It would be too difficult to apply that card to other situations. It was an ugly day, and it's an ugly card. As tarotbear said, it is wrong to capitalize on it. The worst part of seeing those towers burning on tv was knowing the people above the impact areas were trapped, that they had no way out. I could barely breathe myself just thinking about it. It's likely some of the jumpers fell or were even pushed out the windows by the people behind them, who were desperately trying to get more air. To have lived such a nightmare, I can't imagine. And though I suppose one could peel away the surface and look for other tower-like themes about that day, the punch in the gut that card gives me makes it unlikely that I will do any thinking beyond how horrible it must have been.

Padma

Back to that VR 2 of Swords. I don't see her like people here do at all. I see her large, intelligent, clear eyes as expressing a calm, analytical, peaceful intelligence. To me, she is deep in thought - not remotely 'spaced out' but rather focussed inwardly.

Ah, but all art is subjective. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, one man's ceiling is another man's floor, and all that. :) Interesting take on the meaning of the art.

Her hands look as if she has some type of minor deformity, like ones due to rheumatic fever - which many, many people suffer. I don't feel the revulsion expressed here for people's physical (or mental) disabilities, & in fact I'm rather happy to see a disablement presented here, & wish there were more - NOT just as objects of pity.
I don't think everyone in the media / illustrations / mainstream saleables should have to be 'perfect'. I have a friend with hands like this, who is thrilled to recognise 'her' hands in the deck!

See, I didn't at all think of her as disabled. For me, it was more of an issue about distortion via lack of technical perspective in art. The proportions are off, IMO. And I agree, not everyone has to look airbrushed (in fact, personally, I love diversity in the human race :) ) I like faces that have character! And I have no qualms or quibbles about putting disabled people in decks - they should be, they are just the same as anyone else. Human is human. And it would be an accurate reflection of life. :)

My pet hates are the sleazy-looking nightclub Queens of Cups & Swords in the Tarot of Dreams - especially the latter, who looks far too young & 'done-up' seductively to display her voluptuous sexual charms rather than portraying any intellect or insight.
And I don't get the naked crotch emphasis in the Chariot of the Golden Tarot of Klimt, with no chariot at all - eugh - what's this about?

Do you have links or pics of these? We'd all be interested to see what you are referring to. I understand the dislike for the dumbing down/sexualising of the queens, or other characters...and nudity - while it has its place in art - meh. Not necessary, IMO...though, I can see where the visual cue in a card could be seen via nudity. As in, "you may be feeling exposed or vulnerable" or, "You feel you have nothing to hide" etc. :)

I did this as an example a couple of years back during the 'Banana Man' discussion - and I always add, ladies, that having seen a lot of male appendages in my day ... this one is not all that unusual!

I always wanted to start a thread about penises in Tarot and call it 'Tarot Dicks' !!!!

Ha! You did a great job on that, tb! Almost looks printed on :) and yes, I agree with Carla, please start your thread - sounds really amusing and interesting! I am sure you'd get flooded with responses! :D

Here is the Tower card from the Silicon Dawn - and I correct myself, the jumpers are NOT smiling - not sure why I remembered them as doing so. I still don't like the card, but I suppose, in the overall theme of the deck (which I don't care for at all), it could be considered appropriate. If I had a close friend or family member who died that day, I might think differently.

Hmmmm....I could not work with that card, myself. I find it pretty disturbing. I have to agree with Laura - that was one of the things that I found really hard to look at while watching the news footage. :(

My cousin survived 9/11 because he was on the 9th floor when it happened. Had he not given up smoking and been in the 83rd story smoking area with co-workers, he would have been killed.

tb, I am so glad that he survived...and wow, irony - "smoking kills". ;p

Such interesting insights! I am really curious and very interested in everyone's card "recoils" and views...and it is interesting to see how much, and how profoundly, image/art affects us...and the diversity therein! :)

Padma

Yes, Laura, you are right. It would be too difficult to apply that card to other situations. It was an ugly day, and it's an ugly card. As tarotbear said, it is wrong to capitalize on it. The worst part of seeing those towers burning on tv was knowing the people above the impact areas were trapped, that they had no way out. I could barely breathe myself just thinking about it. It's likely some of the jumpers fell or were even pushed out the windows by the people behind them, who were desperately trying to get more air. To have lived such a nightmare, I can't imagine. And though I suppose one could peel away the surface and look for other tower-like themes about that day, the punch in the gut that card gives me makes it unlikely that I will do any thinking beyond how horrible it must have been.

Wow, Bhavana...that was really well-said. You have a way with words. And as to what happened that day...reminds me of that saying "what has been seen cannot be unseen" - more's the pity...
I cannot even imagine what kind of impact that whole terrifying episode had on those unfortunate people who were there that day. It must be seared onto the eyes of their minds. In blazing detail. :( Talk about Dante's levels of Hell. I have to agree, it's an ugly card.

Laura Borealis

And to get back to the topic - another "Perfect deck, except..." for me is Strength in the Tarot of the III Millenium. Lovely deck and I've poised on the edge of buying it many a time, but I know that card means I won't truly enjoy reading with it.

I realize that it hearkens back to a historical variation on the Strength card, such as is seen in the Visconti-Sforza and other decks. But I much prefer the more common version of Strength, with the cardinal virtue depicted as a female figure subduing a lion, which imo is truer to the tradition of tarot as a whole.

And yes, it's also because I'm a special flower who is bothered by pictures of people killing animals. :p Just getting that out there since I know it will cross the minds of some.

Oh, and I also don't like the bar codes on some of the cards... not sure why the artist included them, but do not want!

Richard

The Strength card is not about brute force. What starts as a trickle of water may carve out the Grand Canyon. The Tao does what it does effortlessly.

kalliope

The Rohrig 6 of Cups discussion is always interesting! I think I've mentioned it before in another thread, but I've always seen the card as depicting a secret, opposite-side of the tracks sort of relationship that's taking place behind the scenes at a circus. Yeah, not sure why, but the guy looks like a rough circus roadie, and the girl is one of the center ring stars. Something about the colors, the curtains, and his hat gave me the circus vibe back when I first got the deck, and I've never been able to see it another way...

As for cards that ruin a deck for me, I'm sort of pulling a blank at the moment. Although I will say that a few of the facial expressions in the Robin Wood ruin a few cards for me. The singing angelic Chariot driver I just can't take seriously, and the Wheel of Fortune shows hairdos that are somehow distractingly dated.

Laura Borealis

The Strength card is not about brute force. What starts as a trickle of water may carve out the Grand Canyon. The Tao does what it does effortlessly.

Agreed. That's how I see Strength.

The Rohrig 6 of Cups discussion is always interesting! I think I've mentioned it before in another thread, but I've always seen the card as depicting a secret, opposite-side of the tracks sort of relationship that's taking place behind the scenes at a circus. Yeah, not sure why, but the guy looks like a rough circus roadie, and the girl is one of the center ring stars. Something about the colors, the curtains, and his hat gave me the circus vibe back when I first got the deck, and I've never been able to see it another way...

As for cards that ruin a deck for me, I'm sort of pulling a blank at the moment. Although I will say that a few of the facial expressions in the Robin Wood ruin a few cards for me. The singing angelic Chariot driver I just can't take seriously, and the Wheel of Fortune shows hairdos that are somehow distractingly dated.

I can see that, with the Rohrig. The striped fabrics do give that impression. I've always thought his hat was stupid-looking. :p None of the sexuality in the Rohrig bothers me a bit, it's the awkward proportions. Overall, I really like the deck. And I've hung onto it for a really long time. I think it was my third tarot deck which means it's the oldest, now.

The Robin Wood Wheel is just not right. :p The hairstyles, the expressions. It's pretty much just laughable.