PET PEEVE!!!! ARGH.

New2Tarot

Hey guys,

I'm hopefully making a trip to the occult bookstore this weekend to buy one or two decks... and as I've been looking at three decks over and over to narrow it down, after looking at tonnes of decks.. I've discovered a major pet peeve of mine. Before it was somewhat annoying, now it's just a huge annoyance.

NON-REVERSIBLE CARD BACKS. What the hell is wrong with the people at the publishing houses?! Dammit. Some of the decks I've liked SO much have turned out to have non-reversible backs which just really angers me.

I.E. Crowley Thoth.. Since I bought it I've used it maybe 4 times and have given up on it for now, because as difficult as it is to work with, having non-reversible card backs just adds to my frustration.

I read with reversals, and I feel they're important to any reading.. I think any system that doesn't use reversals is just dumb. Matter of personal opinion I guess.

But I think EVERY deck should be made with a reversible card back so that people who use reversals can use them and people who don't, can not use them. ARGH.. once again. lol

EXAMPLES..

Right now, there are three decks I'm stuck on.. Morgan Greer, World Spirit, Celtic Wisdom. Morgan Greer.. I can't really tell if those stars look different reversed, but I think they do. So that makes all three with non-reversible backs.

Whoever made the card back for the World Spirit deck ... I'll leave it there. Stupid, stupid card back. The deck is so awesome, but to me that back just takes so much away from it.

The Celtic Wisdom back is nice, but again.. non reversible.
What is the point of reading a spread with all upright cards.. I mean, where's the negative aspects?? The whole ill-dignified thing makes no sense to me. I definitely prefer the reversal system.

BKJSEOKJFRPIOEWJFK:LDfvb.f.

What are your feelings about this?

Later,
New2Tarot

Luned

I don't actually read with reversals, but I agree with you, I don't think you should be able to tell what's going on before you reveal the cards.

Luned

Original Destiny

Tell you the truth I have never thought of it till you mentioned it. Personally I dont do reversals. The front is all I have been interested in. I will look at the backs now.

Logiatrix

:D
my "pet" has the opposite "peeve" from yours, new!
i like non-reversible backs!
i don't do reversals, i do elementals (or, at least, i TRY).
i also don't "riffle" my cards, so, when i mix them on the table (by "swishing"), i like to gather them up, face down and none reversed. i need to know which way is up, when i do it this way (that could mean many things! :D ).
in your other post, about your new deck(s) decision, you also mentioned that you are interested in the universal waite. that one definitely has a reversible back. the original RW does not, but it is subtle. i like this kind the best, where you really have to know what to look for in the design to see that the card is reversed. that kind of card-back is a good compromise for the both of us, hmmm? ;)

New2Tarot

metaz (01 Mar, 2002 12:41):
:D
my "pet" has the opposite "peeve" from yours, new!
i like non-reversible backs!
i don't do reversals, i do elementals (or, at least, i TRY).
i also don't "riffle" my cards, so, when i mix them on the table (by "swishing"), i like to gather them up, face down and none reversed. i need to know which way is up, when i do it this way (that could mean many things! :D ).
in your other post, about your new deck(s) decision, you also mentioned that you are interested in the universal waite. that one definitely has a reversible back. the original RW does not, but it is subtle. i like this kind the best, where you really have to know what to look for in the design to see that the card is reversed. that kind of card-back is a good compromise for the both of us, hmmm? ;)

That's totally cool, I think it's totally up to the person using the deck to decide whether to use reversals or not, and I agree that kind of card back is a great compromise!!

The obvious backs, like the World Spirit one, or the Thoth one bother me. And, I didn't think that those who don't use reversals need a card back that is non-reversible for when they shuffle. Hmm.

It's just that every deck I really like has a non-reversible back, kind of disappointing.

Later,
New2Tarot :)

Kiama

That's another thing I like about my Robin Wood deck (Everyone should go out and get this deck! ;p ) It has reversible card backs, so if someone wants me to use reversed cards in a reading, I can. I usually don't, but that's not the point. Robin Wood is a great deck! Let me think.... Celtic Dragon also has reversible backs, and Rider Waite, Universal Waite.... I can't think of any more. But the World Spirit is kinda reversible, its just that the Sun and Moon are the other way round... Ah well. But otherwise, this deck is wonderful!

Kiama

Jewel

Depending on how the fancy strikes me I use or don't use reversals. Basically I feel very comfortable with the messages I get from the cards in upright position as their meaining is influenced by the other cards in the spread, and the decks I read with tend to really draw my attention to what they want me to look at. Anyways ... all that to say that the backs of the cards whether reversible or not make no real difference to me. I just love Tarot decks period. I am too focused on what I am doing at the time for the card backs to influence anything. Again, that is me personally.

By the way I agree with Kiama, Robin Wood excellent deck with reversible backs.

Love & Light,

raeanne

I think I’m missing something. You folks read the BACKS of cards? What does an upright back mean or a reversed back? I’ve never heard of any anyone reading the backs of cards. I don’t get it. I use reversals, but I only read the front side of a card so it doesn’t matter to me if the back is symmetrical or not. If I do a layout face down and turn over one card at a time, I might know that an upcoming card is reversed but since I don’t know what card it is until I turn it over, it isn’t an issue for me.

kayne

Reanne: I don't think people read the back of the cards, they just like that element of surprise in a reading... not knowing which ones are going to be reversed and revealing it to be reversed adds a bit more suspence and excitement perhaps...

I don't read with reversals so it doesn't bother me but I see their point. The Cosmic Tribe does not have a reversable back either (but probably has one of the best backs ever!!!)

magdalene

raeanne (02 Mar, 2002 08:25):
I think I’m missing something. You folks read the BACKS of cards? What does an upright back mean or a reversed back? I’ve never heard of any anyone reading the backs of cards. I don’t get it.

I'm with you raeanne. Who reads the backs of cards? You can't tell when a card is upright or not?

magdalene