Plato&#39s body, soul and spirit

northsea

I just read that Plato divides people into body, soul and spirit (or mind). What text does he discuss this in, and how does he define these terms? Firsthand, it seems to differ from Mary Greer's body, mind and spirit. She seems to see the body as desires and urges, the mind as consciousness, and the spirit as guidance. This corresponds with something on the internet about the body being the Moon, the mind being the Sun, and the spirit being the Star. The Star uses the Sun to keep the helter-skelter Moon in check, or something like that.

turtle

It is in the Phaedo dialogs that he discusses the body and soul. The body is the pure physical substance that withers and decomposes at death. The soul is the essence of life, that can continue on eternally either with the gods, or if it has become attached to the corporeal, then it roams the earth as an "evil" soul. I think the mind part comes into play when he is discussing the ways to prevent ones soul from being attached to the physical, and so prevent negative afterlife.

http://plato.evansville.edu/texts/jowett/phaedo.htm

turtle

northsea

Hi turtle,
Thanks for the info. Just what I wanted to know. ;D