Pluto

siren85

I didn't mean it in that sense.... I was simply responding to her question, if Pluto is in any way connected to the New Age, is an assertion and if it is to become more, there needs to be hard evidence for it. I was saying, how can there indeed be any proof or hard evidence for ANY spiritual matter? including tarot, astrology, religion, psychic visions/abilities, near-death experiences, ect. and imo, astrology does deal primarily with spirituality and the soul. it is not a 'proveable' science like biology or physics is, is what I meant to say. yes, astrology, in its basic form, is mathematical... but nowadays, just purely the mathematical principles of planets and signs are attributed to ASTRONOMY. astrology goes so much further than that, and takes into account the emotional, intellectual, and spiritual aspects of the chart.

AmethystEyes

Let me get this straight. This is about thinking that Pluto has no affect in an astrological chart????

siren85

I really like what Jeff Green has to say about pluto and 'journeying into hell' in his book Pluto: The Evolutionary journey of the soul. He says that Pluto actually represents the Soul itself in astrology. anyway, I thought I'd post some of it here, as I think it applies to what we have been discussing here about cataclysmic change and the death/rebirth principle:

"75-80% of our behavior is conditioned by unconcsious forces that are tied to past patterns in identity association, and these patterns are linked to the cumulative evolutionary forces that are rooted in our desires. These past patterns are linked to our unconscious emotional security needs; we automatically gravitate to old patterns of behavior because they are what we already are. There is a reliance upon them. The reliance and natural gravitation to these old patterns create blocks to further growth and evolution; we stagnate as a result. The evolutionary force of the Soul induces pressure to elimate and transform these old patterns into new patterns. This transitional process between the old and the new explains many of the apparently negative behavioral characteristics associated with Pluto.

The past has a reason for being, just as the present and future have a reason for being. The past applies to or conditions the present and future. The transitional process between the past and the future (security vs insecurity) can create a variety of behavioral 'problems'. Because the present or future (necessary changes, evolution) can be viewed as threatening to our existing security and reality (past), we can resist the evolutionary force operating in life. This resistance can create potential dams that thwart or block the natural evolutionary flow that promotes the state of continual change and evolution. These dams of resistance create the phenomena of a cataclysmic event that has the effect of removing the dam so that the natural flow can continue. From a psychological point of view, these dams of resistance can create compulsions, obsessions, and complexes. It can lead to anger, fear, or in extreme cases rage if the individual experiences emotional shocks or forced removals of something (ie, a person or relationship) from his or her life. The individual might be angry that it was 'out of one's control'. Rarely would the individual understand that the responsibility for this experience originated from within due to evolutionary or karmic necessity. As a result, the individual could turn vindictive, mean, or cruel in an attempt to 'get back' at whatever caused the emotional pain. The individual could experience a personal 'hell' as he or she submerged into the deepest recesses of the unconscious, and experiencing deep emotional and security needs that are rooted in the past... the famous underworld of Pluto.

Down the road, after the immediacy of the event was over, not only would there be an evolutionary leap, but also perspective. The individual would be "reborn" with a new level of consciousness or awareness. The entire approach to relationships and other people could be radically altered or changed. By plunging into "hell" abd experiencing a kind of death, the person evolved into his or her own "heaven" once the perspective gained in hindsight occured. Pluto symbolizes death, rebirth, metamorphosis, transformation, and regeneration. These processes manifest because of limitations or stagnations that are rooted in our old emotional and security patterns based upon our evolutionary past.

(On Transits) The Pluto transit functions the very same way for all of us. It brings into the light deep subconscious or unconscious emotional, intellectual, physical, or spiritual patterns that have been dictating and controlling our behavior and apporach to life. Even though this process can be very painful and bleak for some, the ultimate benefit is obvious becaue of the growth that will occur once these patterns and dynamics are changed or elimated. In this way, evolution occurs.

Bernice

Siren85: ....and imo, astrology does deal primarily with spirituality and the soul.
No problem with personal opinion. Also no problem with having a personal spiritual viewpoint about life, or the whole of existence either. I've had one of those for a long, long time.

But from an Astrology stand-point, Pluto needs to be properly assessed for it's effects, if any, due to the fact that for one thing, it has not been observed throughout it's full orbit.

The last century blossomed with all things esoteric and many 'traditional' areas underwent a re-vamp. In some cases this completely over-rode traditions, to the detriment of understandings that have been tried & tested over the centuries. One such area is the Elements. The 1900s saw a complete change in how they are understood and applied. And the original tarot cards were superimposed with meanings (and pip images) for a specific esoteric system.

DevilishAngel, the OPs actual enquiry is;

"My sons geography book says that Pluto is no longer a planet
Strange because earlier it was and very important part of astrology too.
And it had its effects like sudden combustion wherever it was placed in a chart.

I know of some cases where pluto in 4th house caused sudden heart attacks.
My pluto is in 10th house of career which gave me a roller coaster ride with career....

so what do you'll feel is pluto still a planet?"

So the short answer is sorry, no. It does not meet the definition of a planet.

But it recieved such a lot of attention, especially from Astrologers with a psychological and theosophical viewpoint, that its' possible effects were almost immediately defined, in a variey of ways :) that had little to do with careful and objective observation.

Bottom line is:
They 'jumped the gun' when it was first discovered, and then again in the rush to define what it might mean to life on Earth.

Bee :)

dadsnook2000

Tiresome

This issue of Pluto is tiresome in that it has been addressed in these terms so many times over the last few decades. Yet, it is all part of a discussion that we each need to participate in as a means of coming to personal (if temporary) conclusions about how to deal with it in the charts we study.

As for "we haven't seen it pass through a full orbit" --- that statement strikes me as shortsighted. We haven't even seen Eris pass through a full "sign" yet but we are already starting to fill in some of it's general meanings in a chart. How are these things done?

One approach is for astrologers to start by identifying those charts where the planet or body in question is either conjunct the Ascendant or the Sun. Then those charts are studied for common meanings.

A second approach is to assess the general orbital characteristics as well as the place (and chart) where it was discovered, all compared to the overall nature of the world condition at the time of its discovery. All of these assessments together can suggest some aspects of interpretational meaning. Even fixed stars may be thrown into the mix along with black holes, etc. Phillip Sedgwick has done some interesting work in these areas.

The third approach is to look at history and how it aligns with the planet's actual or approximate positions and interactions with other planets. This approach has value. One has only to read Psyche and Cosmos, by Richard Tarnas, to see how history can be used to start filling in the meanings associated with a planet.

When we (the larger astrological community) can put all of this together we can start to test the general and specific meanings in our charts. Is this always dependable, always leading to a correct assessment? No. Look at Chiron as an example and how it started out as "a bridge between Saturn and Uranus to lead us into a new path to social change and direction" and how it is now generally (but not universally) seen in some form of being a "wounded healer" type of entity.

Other examples of how "naming" and "meaning" can be applied and successfully used over a few decades can be found in the encyclopedic work of Martha Lang-Wescott (a long-time friend of mine) who has provided exquisite and workable interpretations of asteroids located at the angles of charts. When I see work of this nature I find it ridiculous to claim that nothing can be said about a body until it has completed a full orbit.

Just my thoughts. Dave

Minderwiz

dadsnook2000 said:
This issue of Pluto is tiresome in that it has been addressed in these terms so many times over the last few decades.

Totally agree it's becoming tiresome, but the debate on the efficacy of Pluto is only 20 years old - it was accepted unquestioningly from the 1930s to the 1990s. However it seems to me that the arguments put forward against Pluto do not really crack the wall of faith of its adherents. The most that can be done is to point out the flaws in arguments and that Astrology can be practiced without it.

Dadsnook2000 said:
One approach is for astrologers to start by identifying those charts where the planet or body in question is either conjunct the Ascendant or the Sun. Then those charts are studied for common meanings.

Well those common meanings would have to be independent of Pluto, or the process is tautological - the charts have common meanings because we have assigned these meanings to Pluto -and if the meanings are independent of Pluto, how can any meaning be inferred to it?

Dadsnook2000 said:
A second approach is to assess the general orbital characteristics as well as the place (and chart) where it was discovered, all compared to the overall nature of the world condition at the time of its discovery. All of these assessments together can suggest some aspects of interpretational meaning. Even fixed stars may be thrown into the mix along with black holes, etc. Phillip Sedgwick has done some interesting work in these areas.

This is a variant of the idea - 'cometh the hour, cometh the planet' - usually held by people who have preconceptions as to meaning - which was very much in evidence in the case of Pluto. The problem is that the chart is really irrelevant - for the same reasons as above - A chart can only be interpreted using planetary meanings, so if a planet is newly discovered how can it have any meaning within the discovery chart - unless that meaning has already been assigned to it. In the case of Pluto's discovery it was half way through the twelfth house and it's only close aspect was a square to the Part of Fortune - Pluto=bad luck?

A Discovery Chart is an event chart - it tells us something about the event - the expectations of those involved, the background to the discovery, the difficulty or not of the process of discovery,possibly the impact of the discovery, etc - but it tells us nothing of the intrinsic nature of the thing discovered, especially if the 'thing discovered' is claimed to have Astrological properties.

Dadsnook2000 said:
The third approach is to look at history and how it aligns with the planet's actual or approximate positions and interactions with other planets. This approach has value. One has only to read Psyche and Cosmos, by Richard Tarnas, to see how history can be used to start filling in the meanings associated with a planet.

Well this assumes we have accurate knowledge of history (which itself is a dubious claim - at very, very best we have a fair knowledge of the political history of Europe and the USA has anyone to your knowledge used this approach with any other world region? And if our knowledge of political history was accurate, how could we infer to individuals?

However the telling word is 'approximate' in this section - at best the historical evidence is an approximation based on incomplete secondary data

Dadsnook2000 said:
we (the larger astrological community) can put all of this together we can start to test the general and specific meanings in our charts. Is this always dependable, always leading to a correct assessment? No. Look at Chiron as an example and how it started out as "a bridge between Saturn and Uranus to lead us into a new path to social change and direction" and how it is now generally (but not universally) seen in some form of being a "wounded healer" type of entity.

Well I suppose traditional Astrologers don't qualify as part of 'the larger astrological community' but you are quite right - this approach can get things seriously wrong

Dadsnook2000 said:
Other examples of how "naming" and "meaning" can be applied and successfully used over a few decades can be found in the encyclopedic work of Martha Lang-Wescott (a long-time friend of mine) who has provided exquisite and workable interpretations of asteroids located at the angles of charts. When I see work of this nature I find it ridiculous to claim that nothing can be said about a body until it has completed a full orbit.

Just my thoughts. Dave

I know it's ridiculous but how do you infer meaning to a body that you only know exists, simply because it is angular. Firstly you have made a value judgement that it must have meaning by including it in a chart and secondly, you have engineered a situation where it is angular - what about all the charts where it isn't angular, does it still carry the same meaning? I repeat, inferring meaning because of chart position is bad practice - with such an approach, It would be possible to demostrate that all the characteristics attributed to Pluto (or any other planet) actually belong to several minor asteroids - as meaning can only be shuffled about - no new meanings, suddenly come into existence because a planet is discovered. We have the perfect symbol of nuclear power in Astrology and it has been known for all of human history - The Sun is a massive fusion device, it has far more claim to rule atomics than a miniscule rock lost in space (or even Pluto) :)

Incidentally in the Pluto discovery chart, Vesta is conjunct the Ascendant (within 19 minutes), and in opposition to the Dark Moon (separation of just over 3 degrees) If we followed your line of reasoning, we should attribute all of Pluto's characteristics to either Vesta or to the Vesta/Dark Moon opposition because both of these are angular and Pluto is not

As an antidote to Tarnas try reading the Skyscript interview with Ben Dykes (also a Professor)

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/bdykes.html

OK let's bury Pluto rather than praise it and move on to something more interesting LOL

dadsnook2000

A more sophisticated approach to what a planet might "Mean."

This kind of opinion trading doesn't seem to be productive in terms of helping early-study or more advanced astrological practitioners decide what is right and what might not be right about determination of a planet's meaning in astrology.

For those interested in a more comprehensive approach to this "it is, it isn't" type of discussion, I would suggest a visit to the following site.

Occam's Razor | forum: How and Why Astrology Works | qualitative methods in Astrology. These initial posts were written by Juan Revilla, one of astrology's primary researchers and thinkers, and author of RIYAL software.

These postings will discuss one example in particular as a basis for showing how a small distant object with an orbital period of over 700 years can be studied and "meanings" gradually developed for it. In any case, the nature of the study and qualitative process used is very helpful to the serious astrologer --- far more so than the foolish statistical studies that we see so many indulge in without clear results. Dave

Minderwiz

dadsnook2000 said:
This kind of opinion trading doesn't seem to be productive in terms of helping early-study or more advanced astrological practitioners decide what is right and what might not be right about determination of a planet's meaning in astrology.

Well I wasn't advancing any opinions, I was asking how you can infer the properties of a newly discovered planet either from a discovery chart (which just refers to the event) or from it's position in the chart - unless you have a preconceived notion of what the planet means.

New and even advanced students need to think about the foundations of Astrology and it's approach. I fully recognise that it's an axiom that Pluto is important for many modern Astrologers - all that I'm doing is trying to show that an axiom is not fact - it's a base assumption - also axioms are incapable of proof, no matter what area they are in, so we need to be clear as Astrologers that we've signed up for a particular philosophical viewpoint but not state it as undisputed fact.

I think the Ben Dykes interview really is essential reading, to show that Astrology can be derived from other than Theosophical or psychological sources and that there is a deep magical tradition (and I know a lot of members are interested in magic)

FaireMaiden

My sons geography book says that Pluto is no longer a planet
Strange because earlier it was and very important part of astrology too.
And it had its effects like sudden combustion wherever it was placed in a chart.

I know of some cases where pluto in 4th house caused sudden heart attacks.
My pluto is in 10th house of career which gave me a roller coaster ride with career....

so what do you'll feel is pluto still a planet?
I've got Pluto conjunct my South Node and both of them conjunct my MC. My husband has Moon conjunct Pluto and both of them conjunct his DSC. Whenever I do a chart and it has Pluto conjunct an angle, it's important. And it's important because it touches us personally. Just like all the planets do when they are in the angular houses and especially conjunct the cusps of those houses.

I don't care if it's called a planet or not... a rose by any other name and all that. The fact remains, that for the astrology I practice, Pluto just plain works.

tarotlyn

I've got Pluto conjunct my South Node and both of them conjunct my MC. My husband has Moon conjunct Pluto and both of them conjunct his DSC. Whenever I do a chart and it has Pluto conjunct an angle, it's important. And it's important because it touches us personally. Just like all the planets do when they are in the angular houses and especially conjunct the cusps of those houses.

I don't care if it's called a planet or not... a rose by any other name and all that. The fact remains, that for the astrology I practice, Pluto just plain works.

I agree with FaireMaiden, that Pluto is IMPORTANT, in charts when found in sensitive areas.
Most people, that seriously chart the effects of the planet, over the years, with 1,000's of charts,
as I have, would agree with FaireMaiden on this point. I DO agree, it doesn't matter what you
call it, whether a planet, comet, star, rock, feather, etc., it STILL works it's wonderful magic
OR it's events of destruction as the aspects call for. Pluto DOES, overall, call for MAJOR changes
of the owner of the chart. AND yes...we can learn to WORK WITH those aspects IF WE WANT TO.
In astrolgoy, it is not so much what happens, it is HOW we handle what happens.

Re: counseling with astrology
My feeling, on why astrology counseling is so very important, is that when people are
made AWARE of what is causing problems in their life, (especially with Pluto involved), it makes
it so much easier for them to deal with it and they can learn how to handle it all and turn
hardships into positiveness.

:heart: HUGS
tarotlyn