Predictive vs lessons

youareafool

I really like that tarot can be different things to different people.

Personally, I don't feel comfortable predicting things such as what a future lover may look like, or that someone will be getting a raise. My comfort zone is more in relaying the positive lesson of the cards and the warnings they indicate.

Do you feel comfortable (and honestly believe?) if you choose to give detailed predictions? How do you follow up? I'm really interested, but hoping it doesn't start a sh*tstorm debate lol

Shade

I think it's wonderful that Tarot can be used both as a tool for spiritual exploration or to predict future events (and I do think it can do that).

My main concern about the style to use for a reading is that it answer the question. If the client's question is "Will this relationship work out?" and the reader decides to answer the question "What do I need to focus on spiritually to love myself more?" then I feel there is a disconnect.

If someone is going to be a predictive reader, their biggest enemy is Ego. Ego is what sometimes whispers in our ear and tells us to say things with a certainty we don't have because they sound dramatic. It's what lets us slip into cold reading techniques so that we can get the gratification of a client saying "you are so right!" And it sometimes keeps us from letting the client speak or listening to them when they do.

If someone is going to be a spiritual lesson reader, their biggest enemy is Ego (you saw that coming right). Ego is what lets us think we know everything about the client's life by looking at them. It's what makes us think it's our role to "fix" the person in front of us and tells us they need to do what we tell them.

I feel like the biggest pitfalls for spiritual lesson readers are:

1. A propensity for being a bit of a Captain Obvious. "You're in a complicated bad relationship? Well get out of it."

2. An aversion to giving advice that sounds "negative." If the answer to "What does this person need to do?" is the Five of Swords and the reader goes into "The Tarot is saying NOT to do what is depicted here...

Hey... who put this soapbox under me? Was that there this whole time?

youareafool

I think it's wonderful that Tarot can be used both as a tool for spiritual exploration or to predict future events (and I do think it can do that).

My main concern about the style to use for a reading is that it answer the question. If the client's question is "Will this relationship work out?" and the reader decides to answer the question "What do I need to focus on spiritually to love myself more?" then I feel there is a disconnect.

If someone is going to be a predictive reader, their biggest enemy is Ego. Ego is what sometimes whispers in our ear and tells us to say things with a certainty we don't have because they sound dramatic. It's what lets us slip into cold reading techniques so that we can get the gratification of a client saying "you are so right!" And it sometimes keeps us from letting the client speak or listening to them when they do.

If someone is going to be a spiritual lesson reader, their biggest enemy is Ego (you saw that coming right). Ego is what lets us think we know everything about the client's life by looking at them. It's what makes us think it's our role to "fix" the person in front of us and tells us they need to do what we tell them.

I feel like the biggest pitfalls for spiritual lesson readers are:

1. A propensity for being a bit of a Captain Obvious. "You're in a complicated bad relationship? Well get out of it."

2. An aversion to giving advice that sounds "negative." If the answer to "What does this person need to do?" is the Five of Swords and the reader goes into "The Tarot is saying NOT to do what is depicted here...

Hey... who put this soapbox under me? Was that there this whole time?

I agree with you.
I think the nature of the beast is that readers can take liberties with cold readings and so on. This is why I prefer consultation. Breaking the cards down for them and answering questions about them.
To me, tarot doesn't tell things we don't know. It doesn't give answers. Instead, I feel it provides a framework to help us ask the right questions and illuminating the answers we already know. It provides encouragement and warnings.
Taking the ego out of the picture, I'd rather be helpful than try to maintain an image of impressing the client. I like the hugs and thank you'd I get [emoji12]

Amanda

Shade has a lot of good points.

I prefer predicting to advice-giving. My feelings are that tarot is not nearly as "serious" as someone who is more qualified to give advice, like a counselor or psychologist. I try to maintain an element of 'fun' and 'entertainment' and 'fortune-telling' in my style.

I have made pretty accurate predictions, and I know so because people have come back and said so. You can check out my Super Bowl prediction that was posted in the YR forum if you like... nearly got the score right too. ;)

Shade

You can check out my Super Bowl prediction that was posted in the YR forum if you like... nearly got the score right too. ;)

I have never had a prouder divination moment (or ever enjoyed football) as when I correctly predicted the last Super Bowl - not the score as you have but the manner in which it would be lost. It's these great 50/50 moments when we can think "Hey, maybe there's something too all of this" ; )

youareafool

Shade has a lot of good points.

I prefer predicting to advice-giving. My feelings are that tarot is not nearly as "serious" as someone who is more qualified to give advice, like a counselor or psychologist. I try to maintain an element of 'fun' and 'entertainment' and 'fortune-telling' in my style.

I have made pretty accurate predictions, and I know so because people have come back and said so. You can check out my Super Bowl prediction that was posted in the YR forum if you like... nearly got the score right too. ;)

Idk, I feel like family and bosses and friends are just as qualified to give advice. In fact, I feel like they often give better advice than from someone we could pay for it. I definitely don't read concerning legal or medical matters. But matters of the heart- that's my sh*t ;) being predictive seems foreign to me personally. I started the thread to get a feel about how other people read, so thanks for the replies!

Amanda

I have never had a prouder divination moment (or ever enjoyed football) as when I correctly predicted the last Super Bowl - not the score as you have but the manner in which it would be lost. It's these great 50/50 moments when we can think "Hey, maybe there's something too all of this" ; )

I know right?! :D This is what I'm really motivated by with tarot and what keeps me going to test limits with it...

Do you remember where that thread is? I wouldn't mind reading your interpretation again. I think we were of the few that accurately predicted this...

Laurelle

Nevermind

danieljuk

I think I work best in readings for other people doing problem solving type readings, helping people make a choice or find solutions, that can be predictive sometimes but is about lessons now. I do like doing predictive readings but I always say that they should not be taken for absolute answers, I prefer reading them for "fun". See if they come true or not, but don't live your life by them because life changes and we have free will!

Shade is totally right about the ego involved! Instead of wording readings in ways that will impress the sitter, you should just say or write what you see, exactly what you see (or feel). It might not be popular with the person but I bet they say it's more accurate about their lives!

youareafool

I think I work best in readings for other people doing problem solving type readings, helping people make a choice or find solutions, that can be predictive sometimes but is about lessons now. I do like doing predictive readings but I always say that they should not be taken for absolute answers, I prefer reading them for "fun". See if they come true or not, but don't live your life by them because life changes and we have free will!

Shade is totally right about the ego involved! Instead of wording readings in ways that will impress the sitter, you should just say or write what you see, exactly what you see (or feel). It might not be popular with the person but I bet they say it's more accurate about their lives!

I don't care for dramatics. My style is a consultation, and I speak in modern terms. I only use slight numerology to make connections if I'm fumbling, but I avoid the flashy side of this. I explain things with pop culture references and try to be very conversational and realistic about it I guess. I can see how if it's just for fun to see the results "testing the tarot" could be interesting [emoji276]