Protecting yourself whilst reading tarot

ana luisa

well I do have a mini ritual before doing readings and as part of that I do ask for protection. Do I feel I am leaving myself vulnerable not asking for it? In effect no, but I am aware that some sitters may come with negative energy. If I am sitting in that auric field of theirs, it may be something I don't want to take any on - for a variety of reasons.

Ditto

Morwenna

I suspect many people confuse grounding techniques with ritual; they can coincide but need not. Still, "ritual" can mean very ordinary things in everyday life as well as esoteric things. In that sense, grounding oneself should be a ritual, i.e. done regularly and purposefully, for your own sake. Way too many people forget to do that when undertaking any energy work, and they suffer for it. The more experienced a person is, the more he or she remembers to do it! And the more grounded, the less susceptible to energies from the querent, from the surroundings, from one's internal circumstances; and the easier to focus.

hazlit

Each to their own!

Each to their own. Maybe that reader you saw has a great need for the kind of protection she recommended, but that doesn't necessarily extend to readers en masse, because it flies in the face of free will. I agree that it is important to be aware of such issues when channelling or participating in spirit work, as Promise said. But Tarot is not spirit work, it uses entirely different energy dynamics.

My idiosyncrasies in this area are: I make sure I set up my reading area exactly as I like it to be. I place crystals and other objects on and around my cards. I make sure I've eaten enough and that I've got plenty of water on hand (especially at fairs and markets when there's very few breaks). I never read when I'm sick or highly stressed. When I get tired I make sure I take a break. And if a sitter has an energy lock (my term for someone with an angry demeanour who doesn't resonate with anything in the cards), I refund their money and explain that it's not possible to give them assistance. All of these things help me to stay grounded and centred, sustain the integrity of my energy field and thereby keep my immune system healthy. I don't project this practice onto anyone else, or judge others for not using the technique I do.

As others here have said, what works for you, works best. Find your own way of keeping yourself safe. Adopting others' methods would just be rote, and therefore, ulimately ineffective!

:heart: hx

yuenyee

Forget about the evil spirit and you'll be fine.
All we need to do a reading is just a "opened" mind and a tarot card deck.
But if you are really scared, I think you can pray, even you don't have a religious belief, just say something to assure youself and ask for power from the Higher Power (It could be Jesus, God, Buddha, whatever you like).

Biba28

hazlit said:
Each to their own. Maybe that reader you saw has a great need for the kind of protection she recommended, but that doesn't necessarily extend to readers en masse, because it flies in the face of free will. I agree that it is important to be aware of such issues when channelling or participating in spirit work, as Promise said. But Tarot is not spirit work, it uses entirely different energy dynamics.

My idiosyncrasies in this area are: I make sure I set up my reading area exactly as I like it to be. I place crystals and other objects on and around my cards. I make sure I've eaten enough and that I've got plenty of water on hand (especially at fairs and markets when there's very few breaks). I never read when I'm sick or highly stressed. When I get tired I make sure I take a break. And if a sitter has an energy lock (my term for someone with an angry demeanour who doesn't resonate with anything in the cards), I refund their money and explain that it's not possible to give them assistance. All of these things help me to stay grounded and centred, sustain the integrity of my energy field and thereby keep my immune system healthy. I don't project this practice onto anyone else, or judge others for not using the technique I do.

As others here have said, what works for you, works best. Find your own way of keeping yourself safe. Adopting others' methods would just be rote, and therefore, ulimately ineffective!

:heart: hx

Thank you Hazlit. That's a really kind answer. I have been really worried by all this (a sensitive soul). I usually just use the 3 card tarot on igoogle tbh. The psychic also said I am rubbish at reading the cards because I'm far too negative. I shall use your tips and try them out for me. :)

stpcarly

Biba, do you do all your readings with the igoogle gadget or do you have an actual deck of cards that you use? I ask because if you are only using that gadget, then maybe it is time to get your own deck. for me personally, I think you would get much clearer and better readings if you can hold the deck in your hands, sort of put your own energy into the cards.

Biba28

stpcarly said:
Biba, do you do all your readings with the igoogle gadget or do you have an actual deck of cards that you use? I ask because if you are only using that gadget, then maybe it is time to get your own deck. for me personally, I think you would get much clearer and better readings if you can hold the deck in your hands, sort of put your own energy into the cards.

Hi,

I do have a Marseille deck, but I haven't used it for ages. That was my first deck, then I found the igoogle thingy and because it's so discreet, I tended to stick with that (hence so many readings I guess!). I do think the relationship you have with a deck is much more personal than with a computer obv, but for some reason feel a bit intimidated by my deck at the mo. My Dad never liked that kinda thing.

stpcarly

Maybe it is time for a new deck. Something that goes with who you are today. You can go for something whimsical or just look at decks till one grabs you (which is how I choose my decks lol they kind of yell at me they are the one). I think you may get clearer readings. There is no problem using computer generated readings, but I personally think you would get so much more out of holding a deck in your hand. And you could still do three card readings, you don't have to do big spreads at all, a lot of readers stick to something simple and direct. Plus you could make up your own spreads, lay a card or three at positions you assign a specific question.