Psychedelic Rider-Waite cards

tarotbear

Hello! Nice of you to pop in! :cool2:

It's always nice to meet with people who are involved in the printing, publishing, and marketing of Tarot decks. There are many Tarot deck designers and Tarot authors on this site (hiding behind screen names) who may be more than interested in what you may have to offer them as an alternative to the 'big boy' companies. :cool4:

Luna-Ocean

In terms of a complete deck, Oliver is working on the Minor Arcana right now and we hope to release it in Spring/Summer 2015. The reason for issuing the Major now, on its own, was because of demand.

Anyone who purchases the Major Arcana will be able buy the Minor for a reduced price when it is finished. Oliver is genuinely committed to making his work accessible and rewarding anyone who supports his work.

I had waited on buying the Majors because i had liked what has been created so far so i'm happy that the Minors will be done eventually, also that is very good to know with the one's who did buy the Majors that they will have a reduced option of getting the full 78 deck when it's completed.

Laura Borealis

Welcome, vonzos! :)

Hi - We're the publishers of Oliver Hibert's Major Arcana and wanted to reply in general terms to some of points and questions raised here.

Firstly, it's great to see people seriously debating all aspects of tarot in a serious and thoughtful way. We only became aware of this board when someone sent us a link but its a fascinating read.

Secondly, many thanks for all the comments on Oliver's release - both good and bad.

Yes, this is primarily an art release. It was not necessarily designed by Oliver or by us to to be a usable deck, however we believe that it can be used for regular tarot purposes and Oliver went to great lengths to ensure the integrity of the symbolism in the cards.

In an essay in the accompanying book, Oliver gives some background on what the original Smith tarot means to him and why he embarked on this project - I think for anyone who has bought a copy, this essay will shed a great deal of light on the question of impetus and motive.

Equally, the inclusion of the essay by Caroline Wise about Pamela Colman Smith demonstrates Oliver's genuine love of Smith's work - this essay, for us at least, puts a new context on Smith's life and work. Caroline Wise has been active in occult and esoteric circles in the UK and farther afield for many years and may well be known to some of the people on this forum.

And yes, there is a reproduction in the book of a PCS painting that, as far as we or its owner knows, has never been publicly exhibited nor has it appeared in print before.

This makes me very intrigued to read the book - and incentive to add his tarot to my collection.

In terms of a complete deck, Oliver is working on the Minor Arcana right now and we hope to release it in Spring/Summer 2015. The reason for issuing the Major now, on its own, was because of demand.

Anyone who purchases the Major Arcana will be able buy the Minor for a reduced price when it is finished. Oliver is genuinely committed to making his work accessible and rewarding anyone who supports his work.

I hope no one minds us posting here and if anyone has a specific question, we will check back and be happy to answer anything!

Well, we always want to know what the cardstock is like ;)

I'm curious if you've published tarot decks before?

vonzos

Hi Laura,

We're producing them in 310gsm which is the best the project would allow and the best we've seen ourselves for this sort of production.

We haven't published a deck before but we did publish an essay last year by the Typhonian author Michael Staley about The Fool, this was accompanied by a tarot card of The Fool in a striking interpretation by the Vancouver artist Nomi Chi.

A photo of the it can be seen here:
http://instagram.com/p/ij3gLfAvXY/

:)

gregory

Have you any idea of the cost of the full deck ? If 22 cards are $50, that's - scary.. but I assume the full deck won't be that huge ?

vonzos

Gregory, we don't know the cost of the full deck at the moment but anyone who buys the Major will get the Minor at a reduced price.

And as we said, two things should be borne in mind - the first is that it isn't just 22 cards, it comes with a book containing two substantial essays and illustrations, a great deal of work has gone into the production and design of this release. We do things properly.

Secondly, this wasn't just a 'tarot' release as such. Oliver Hibert is a significant artist with a large global following, his original works go from anywhere from hundreds of dollars to thousands of dollars. This was a release of a work of art that just happens to be a tarot deck. One of the reasons Oliver worked with us on this release however was our pedigree in occult releases.

We actually could have charged more - we have genuine emails from people thanking us for making it so cheap. :)

starlightexp

I, for one, understand the huge amount of time that goes into the art of deck and thing that if this is the artist's way of making a living they should be compensated for those hours of work. I think that $50 is a reasonable price given the product and eagerly await my deck.

aquestionmark

My minor arcana came in the mail today to go with my majors set! These cards are fantastic! They do have lots of nudity in them for sure but that is all part of the fun!.. The actual cards are not as fluorescent as the paintings but that is okay. I will enjoy this melty, surreal deck...

starlightexp

My minor arcana came in the mail today to go with my majors set! These cards are fantastic! They do have lots of nudity in them for sure but that is all part of the fun!.. The actual cards are not as fluorescent as the paintings but that is okay. I will enjoy this melty, surreal deck...

Just sent him an email to see how to get them. I somehow missed the way to get the minors