Re-laminate Cards

G6

I have a deck of regular playing cards that are vintage. The lamination has worn off and I like the aging/distress condition of the cards now from the lamination wearing off, but I want to re-laminate them to keep them right where they are at this moment.

Don't want to do bulky/stiff press lamination. Is there a spray or something?

Thanks!

G6

Cenozoic

My concern with spray on lamination, acrylic spray, etc., is that it might warp the cards while drying, since it's paper.

Same thing goes if you brush on clear gel, school glue, or modge podge to try and get a durable clear coating, since it will warp the cards while drying, and even when completely dry, it will be a little tacky, or sticky. I guess you could powder the cards to remove the tackiness with corn starch. But it will not completely durable from usage of cards, if you're intending to shuffle them.

I suggest heat lamination with the thinest pouch. I think at the Staples print center, there's ledger size laminations that are 3mil, that can hold around 10 cards per pouch, and then they just need to be trimmed. That's the only one I've tried, and it's durable. Although it's a bit bulky and slippery, you can still shiffle them.

G6

My concern with spray on lamination, acrylic spray, etc., is that it might warp the cards while drying, since it's paper.

Same thing goes if you brush on clear gel, school glue, or modge podge to try and get a durable clear coating, since it will warp the cards while drying, and even when completely dry, it will be a little tacky, or sticky. I guess you could powder the cards to remove the tackiness with corn starch. But it will not completely durable from usage of cards, if you're intending to shuffle them.

I suggest heat lamination with the thinest pouch. I think at the Staples print center, there's ledger size laminations that are 3mil, that can hold around 10 cards per pouch, and then they just need to be trimmed. That's the only one I've tried, and it's durable. Although it's a bit bulky and slippery, you can still shiffle them.

Yeah, I didn't want them to feel like plastic cards by doing the pouch lamination method, but I'm not sure if there's a viable alternative?

Anybody used a spray or something else that worked well?

Luna's Crone

I have a deck of regular playing cards that are vintage. The lamination has worn off and I like the aging/distress condition of the cards now from the lamination wearing off, but I want to re-laminate them to keep them right where they are at this moment.

Don't want to do bulky/stiff press lamination. Is there a spray or something?

Thanks!

G6

i found the self adhesive laminate sheets are great. they aren't stiff like the heated ones and you don't need a laminated boarder like the heated ones. Cuz it sticks to the card itself.

Luna's Crone

Cenozoic is right don't spray or use any of the glues. you will ruin your decks.

chocbird

I'll admit I've never relaminated cards - but based on my experience with that type of lamination on books and some random papers so far, I'll second Luna's Crone suggestion.

You might want to get a thinner foil (60-70μm) and made of PP (polipropylene) rather than PVC (polyvinyl chloride) - the first is obvious, the second, while glossier, should slide better. Fanning powder (zinc sterate) could probably help if they stick too much regardless of material.

rygD

I have a potentially stupid suggestion. Would the cards fit on a piece of clear packing tape? That may not make them add easy to shuffle and handle, but if it works it should be cheap, and easy to acquire the needed material if you don't already have some in a drawer. They will probably be super glossy at first. Unfortunately (or, perhaps, fortunately) the tape will also wear over time.

I am very interested in chocbird's suggestions. I use packing tape to reinforce or repair covers on some of my soft cover books. I have been putting this layer of tape on them for around 20 years, but perhaps I should do it the "right" way. I will look into how much it will cost for this stuff, how easy it is to apply, and how long it will last. Glad I came across this thread.

I would love to see the current condition of these cards that you want to preserve. I love the worn look on many of my things, but I usually let them continue to change/degrade with time and use. When I have attempted to freeze time it always turns out terribly, or feels and looks fake. Best of luck.

Laura Borealis

Would spray fixative really cause cards to warp? I can see that happening if you put on a thick, wet coat all at once, yeah, but you're not supposed to use it like that.

I suggest testing a good quality fixative on some spare cards or something of similar weight before giving up on it. I mean, artists use it all the time on artwork - I have many times and never saw warping. Though I never did anything the size and weight of tarot cards so I can't say for sure. But I feel it's worth a try.

For sure it's better than packing tape (sorry but no! don't do that lol) and for me, even the risk of warped cards would be preferable to that lamination pouch plastic feel.

Just don't lay on a heavy coat with the spray - use a very light hand and let it dry completely before the next coat. Putting on a second coat before the first one has cured WILL make it sticky. And you probably should do both sides (not at the same time of course) to lessen the chance of warping.

Luna's Crone

Would spray fixative really cause cards to warp? I can see that happening if you put on a thick, wet coat all at once, yeah, but you're not supposed to use it like that.

I suggest testing a good quality fixative on some spare cards or something of similar weight before giving up on it. I mean, artists use it all the time on artwork - I have many times and never saw warping. Though I never did anything the size and weight of tarot cards so I can't say for sure. But I feel it's worth a try.

For sure it's better than packing tape (sorry but no! don't do that lol) and for me, even the risk of warped cards would be preferable to that lamination pouch plastic feel.

Just don't lay on a heavy coat with the spray - use a very light hand and let it dry completely before the next coat. Putting on a second coat before the first one has cured WILL make it sticky. And you probably should do both sides (not at the same time of course) to lessen the chance of warping.

with his cards being so old and partial unlaminated, a spray fixative will warp the paper. for it to make an impact he would have to spray close and it would not be smooth, fixatives, you spray at least 12 inches from the artwork and its only a fairly like coating. Plus the medium is different than what would be on his cards.

The cards i laminated with self sticking sheets turned out really nicely. If they are thin and bendy, they will still be thin and bendy but less so and a bit more substantial. The did not feel like plastic. the heated laminate does. I have that to and that does not work on cards. I tried.

Luna's Crone

I have a potentially stupid suggestion. Would the cards fit on a piece of clear packing tape? That may not make them add easy to shuffle and handle, but if it works it should be cheap, and easy to acquire the needed material if you don't already have some in a drawer. They will probably be super glossy at first. Unfortunately (or, perhaps, fortunately) the tape will also wear over time.

I am very interested in chocbird's suggestions. I use packing tape to reinforce or repair covers on some of my soft cover books. I have been putting this layer of tape on them for around 20 years, but perhaps I should do it the "right" way. I will look into how much it will cost for this stuff, how easy it is to apply, and how long it will last. Glad I came across this thread.

I would love to see the current condition of these cards that you want to preserve. I love the worn look on many of my things, but I usually let them continue to change/degrade with time and use. When I have attempted to freeze time it always turns out terribly, or feels and looks fake. Best of luck.

I think packing tape could warp the cards too. especially if the cards are fairly week. I really misshapen packages all the time with tape. DISTORT is the word I want. the tape will or can distort the cards.

a package of avery self adhesive sheets are 9x12 and have 50 sheets and will do about 2 2.5 decks. because, you need two sides, so its actually 25 sheets since covering both sides.