Re-laminate Cards

rygD

I think packing tape could warp the cards too. especially if the cards are fairly week. I really misshapen packages all the time with tape. DISTORT is the word I want. the tape will or can distort the cards.

a package of avery self adhesive sheets are 9x12 and have 50 sheets and will do about 2 2.5 decks. because, you need two sides, so its actually 25 sheets since covering both sides.

I have never experienced warping with the book covers, but those also have reinforcement, as they are not standalone cards. Part of the reason I started applying it to new books was to prevent the covers from getting trashed (I have a couple that have suffered a lot of abuse, and the covers are in much better condition than a typical soft cover book, with the pages showing far more wear than the covers).

The self adhesive sheets are probably the better choice, especially if available with a matte surface. I still wonder about longevity, and if they will eventually delaminate due to use, ruining the cards. Since I fold the edges of the tape into the cover I have never had that happen, but with exposed edges it will all come down to the adhesive.

Laura Borealis

with his cards being so old and partial unlaminated, a spray fixative will warp the paper. for it to make an impact he would have to spray close and it would not be smooth, fixatives, you spray at least 12 inches from the artwork and its only a fairly like coating. Plus the medium is different than what would be on his cards.

The cards i laminated with self sticking sheets turned out really nicely. If they are thin and bendy, they will still be thin and bendy but less so and a bit more substantial. The did not feel like plastic. the heated laminate does. I have that to and that does not work on cards. I tried.

:bugeyed: Well sure, if you spray really close it will not give good results. But that's not how it's meant to be used. You do many light coats. Very light coats. Let it cure completely in between. This would be a labor of love. Blasting the cards with a heavy coat WILL ruin them. Just like rushing any process holds a high failure risk.

12 inches.... try at least 3 feet. You don't want to wet down what you're spraying. You want a light mist applied with smooth even strokes.

I did have heat laminate in mind. (Which I will add, I've seen warp very badly if the laminate machine isn't adjusted right - we always ran test pieces through first.) But the self sticking sheets I've seen had a plastic feel too. I'll take your word for it that some do not. Still, wouldn't they peel after some time and use? And then you'd be stuck right? I can't imagine you could remove that without destroying the cards.

I have never experienced warping with the book covers, but those also have reinforcement, as they are not standalone cards. Part of the reason I started applying it to new books was to prevent the covers from getting trashed (I have a couple that have suffered a lot of abuse, and the covers are in much better condition than a typical soft cover book, with the pages showing far more wear than the covers).

The self adhesive sheets are probably the better choice, especially if available with a matte surface. I still wonder about longevity, and if they will eventually delaminate due to use, ruining the cards. Since I fold the edges of the tape into the cover I have never had that happen, but with exposed edges it will all come down to the adhesive.

Back in the days of the early tarot decks, they sometimes used to glue a backing on the card and fold it around to the front. If you look at old Italian cards, for instance, sometimes they appear to have a patterned border - it's the fold-over backing. :cool4:

Still boggling over the idea of using spray up close. I guess I learned this at my parents' knees (my dad did a lot of handiwork and always used child labor to shake spray paint, lacquer, etc. and my mom is an artist - they both taught me correct use).

On consideration, I don't recommend using a spray fixative if you've never used one before/don't know how to do it right. Check out some tutorials first and practice.

G6

I think packing tape could warp the cards too. especially if the cards are fairly week. I really misshapen packages all the time with tape. DISTORT is the word I want. the tape will or can distort the cards.

a package of avery self adhesive sheets are 9x12 and have 50 sheets and will do about 2 2.5 decks. because, you need two sides, so its actually 25 sheets since covering both sides.

Here's a pic of the card condition. I have two sets of these, one well used/distressed and anther unused. I'd be doing both sets 52x4 sides. Can you put a link to the Avery sheets product info? I think you're right that spraying would be less uniform.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 112

rwcarter

I used spray varnish to seal all the work I put into my Pimped Rider Waite deck. I got no warping of the cards as I used a thin coat. I've also created two Happy Squirrel cards for my double deck Revelations using the same spray varnish. Again, no warping of the cards.

G6

I used spray varnish to seal all the work I put into my Pimped Rider Waite deck. I got no warping of the cards as I used a thin coat. I've also created two Happy Squirrel cards for my double deck Revelations using the same spray varnish. Again, no warping of the cards.

Hey RW, have you tried these Avery sheets? Has anyone for comparison with spray?

Also, would you share the product info for the spray you used? Thnx

rwcarter

I've never used sheets. Off the top of my head, I want to say it's Krylon Acrylic Spray Varnish that I got from the local crafts chain store. I'll try to remember to check tonight when I get home, but I need to pack for the weekend escape.

G6

Has anyone used both Avery sheets and spray that can give first-hand account of differences?

G6

I've never used sheets. Off the top of my head, I want to say it's Krylon Acrylic Spray Varnish that I got from the local crafts chain store. I'll try to remember to check tonight when I get home, but I need to pack for the weekend escape.

Cool, thanks, Happy 4th!

rygD

Back in the days of the early tarot decks, they sometimes used to glue a backing on the card and fold it around to the front. If you look at old Italian cards, for instance, sometimes they appear to have a patterned border - it's the fold-over backing. :cool4:
Thanks for that tidbit. I will look for it while doing my research.

Laura Borealis

Here's a pic of the card condition. I have two sets of these, one well used/distressed and anther unused. I'd be doing both sets 52x4 sides. Can you put a link to the Avery sheets product info? I think you're right that spraying would be less uniform.

The wear on those does look great! I can see why you want to preserve it.

Just as a thought... you could scan them and have a fresh deck printed at Gamecrafter or Printer Studio. It would have the appearance of wear yet be brand new.